Noisy line roller bearing

Bliss
edited December 2005 in Reels
Is there a way to kill the noise from a noisy line roller bearing. I have tried grease, oil and grease/oil combo but nothing seem to work. The bearing is definitely rolling fine but the noise irks me. I have checked the bearing and there is no corrosion.

I seem to have problem with line roller being noisy. My Daiwa Emblem X 1500, Daiwa Powersurf QD and Ryobi Zauber all have noisy bearings on the line roller after some usage, despite regular servicing and cleaning. Beside reasonance, i couldn't think of any other reasons. I have even change out the bearing to no avail.
  • poptart
    can you specify what kind of noise is that? screeching noise or something else?
  • Bliss
    best way to describe it......it sounds exactly like a braided line going through a guide....but only much louder.
  • poptart
    ok pardon me on my speculations, and since it has occured to me,

The roller itself is rough and needs buffing.
    That's what I did. Quite wierd because such things are being machined and produced in bulk and QCed.
  • poptart
    btw, what line are you using?
  • Bliss
    thanks poptart....but wouldn't buffing removing the titanium-nitrate coating?

I am using Fireline, Tuf line and Sanyo. The line may well be a source for the noise, but the roller itself is definitely the louder of both, esepcially true when cranking under moderate pressure.
  • poptart
    frankly speaking, i have to forgo that aspect. i just take certain precautions in maintaining that part. but i rather do away with the sound. :lol:

hmm.
  • Dynaway
    Bliss" said:
    Is there a way to kill the noise from a noisy line roller bearing. I have tried grease, oil and grease/oil combo but nothing seem to work. The bearing is definitely rolling fine but the noise irks me. I have checked the bearing and there is no corrosion.

I seem to have problem with line roller being noisy. My Daiwa Emblem X 1500, Daiwa Powersurf QD and Ryobi Zauber all have noisy bearings on the line roller after some usage, despite regular servicing and cleaning. Beside reasonance, i couldn't think of any other reasons. I have even change out the bearing to no avail.
    my zauber 1000 also recently starts to gimme noise on the line roller.

seems like the bearing housing is not showing sign of corrosion/rust mark. but the balls inside may be already corroded.
    btw, if u have replaced the bearing, can i know where n how much did u pay for it? also do u happen to have the dimension of the bearing.
  • Dynaway
    Bliss" said:
    thanks poptart....but wouldn't buffing removing the titanium-nitrate coating?

I am using Fireline, Tuf line and Sanyo. The line may well be a source for the noise, but the roller itself is definitely the louder of both, esepcially true when cranking under moderate pressure.
    hey i recently replaced my line roller bearing. the sound no more liao.
    i've got 2 spares bearing for the Zauber 1000, if u need, do let me know.

can sell u at the price i bought.