A few usually negelected basics of reel maintenance

dafrogman
edited October 2005 in Reels
I wish I'd checked FK earlier, so that I would have realised that this section had become a reality so quickly. Kudos to the FK admin team and Jack Lai for setting this up.

I just received my Kaikon 4000 back after a 2 month tour of duty with one of my Captains who is a commercial small boat fisherman. The reel has seen some very heavy usage and big fish and the upgraded Carbontex drags have undergone a good testing. I have already disassembled the reel which was why I wish I had found out about this new section earlier and also read Jacks PM to me earlier too... I been busy wiring a boat for a friend.

I will put the reel back together again and take pics to and post it later.

For the moment, I would just like to highlight some small points regarding metal bodied reels in particular and in fact most other reels too.

When I passed my Kaikon to my Captain, I had just installed a brand new handle. The level of corrosion that had occured in just 2 months at the hole where the handle and main gear shaft fit together was unbelievable. This was due to salt build up and electrolytic corrosive reactions in this area, where Aluminium (Handle) meets Stainless Steel (Main Gear Shaft). The pitting is very sad to see.

Unfortunately I have cleaned it, so I can't show you before and after pics. The handle area is a much neglected part of the reel when it comes to washing. In particular, the area I just mentioned and also the area where the Handle Knob Shaft (Usually Stainless Steel) mates with the handle (Usually Aluminium). These areas are very prone to corrosion and illustrate the danger areas whereever you have two non alike metals in contact and exposed to Salt Water. The Trinidad, Kaikon, Torium family are very susceptible to this, probably due to the rather thin layer of anodisation used by Shimano in these reels.

When you wash your reels, pay close attention to these parts, we usually wash the reel body very thoroughly, and then neglect the handle parts. In many reels like the Kaikon family, the handle knob will also have two ball bearings or bushings and a set of bearing seals that try to protect the bearings. the handle knob area where the knob meets the handle must be washed properly to avoid damage to the bearing closest to this part. I have now seen 4 reels including a Stella SW20000 where the bearings were totally destroyed and the handle was close to coming off due this...

This would not be amusing in the middle of a good tussle with a big fish... I know, 'cos it almost happened to me when I was using an old Jigger handle on my 665HXM, I forgot to check the handle bearings and one of them collapsed whilst trying to gain the upperhand on a 12kg Amberjack... I had to retire the 665 momentarily after that.

When you wash your reels, try to use hot water... this is much more effective in removing salt build up than water at room temperature. Once in a while take off the handle, take it apart if possible and soak it in very hot water for an hour or so. Then rinse off with more hot water, dry and use a tooth brush dipped in hot water to scrub all holes to get rid of salt, Then rinse once more and dry again. The salt deposits show up white and powdery.

Its a bit late now (1am) and I'm pretty tired having just got back from working on the boat, so I"ll post pics later or maybe next week.

Just a quick post on something I have encountered.

Regards,

DaFrogman
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the good write up. Hope to see more of your informative posting soon, cheers!