CR : Team S.L.A.P. & kakis @ SCS, 4th to 6th Oct

Kelvin Gerard
edited October 2005 in Catch Reports
I have to admit that it took me quite some time to find a proper way to start this particular catch report. This trip was a result of some major withdrawal symptoms and also due to the cancellation of our trip in September. Everything was set for SCS bashing from 5th to 7th September with a confirmed attendance of 90% from the Team … then it was called off by for the skipper of the vessel due to rough seas, unavailability of deckie (hell I would gladly volunteer) and a million other excuses.

So in major desperation, I planned for another trip on another vessel. Managed to get Uncle Harry to assist and we got a booking for Rico II with John Hendricks. New date was set and it was 4th to 6th October. The date chosen showed a good moon phase, nice weather and a favorable current flow.

Two weeks prior to the trip and some of us started to pull out for various reasons. So we sourced for other anglers on www.fishingkaki.com and finally we had eight anglers. Five days prior to wetting our lines – seven anglers. The day we left … we were down to six anglers! But like what Freddie Mercury said … ‘The Show Must Go On’. And the six of us were (please pronounce our names with a click): -

Team SLAP : Chester, Vern and yours truly
www.fishingkaki.com : Joel (venpk09), Edwin (Edwin-_^), Guan Lun aka Gao Tun (GL)

Day One - 4th Oct

Boarded Rico II at around 1.00 pm and settled in. I was impressed and must say that she is an angler-friendly vessel. The waters were calm and mirror-like that it looked as if we were cruising on a reservoir. The weather was great, sky was beautiful and the sunset was to- die-for.

This is supposed to mean something?

Nice sunset

Caught Scoffing

Reached our first spot around 7.30 pm and the lines went down faster than you can say your own name. After a couple of minutes, Vern was the first to land a fish – damn ‘Kelong Chi’! Whoa! I jokingly told Vern that this is stuff you find at Bedok Jetty – not out in the deep blue (or so I thought). This prompted the skipper to set off for the next spot.

At the next spot, some small specimens were landed and if memory serves me well – Edwin and Joel landed some snappers in the 600-900 gms range. Vern was the first to land a Golden Snapper (2.5lb or so) and Guan Lun got a nice Emperor Red Snapper (Ang Kwey). The only two anglers left with nothing was Chester and myself.

Edwin & Kee Fish

1st Golden Snapper

Vern in action

Guan Lun in action

With Guan Lun’s Red Emperor Snapper in the icebox, we tried to make the least possible noise (in fear of spooking off the school below) … however, in the excitement – an entire bag of weights fell! Bam! Oh crap! Well one can choose to believe it or not but no other Red Emperor Snappers were landed at this spot.

Off to spot number two and the lines went down again - only to find the sea infested with Remoras! Geez, these guys were everywhere. In all my years fishing offshore, I have never seen anything like this. Remoras were feeding at the surface, mid-water and bottom. If they could fly, they would have probably jumped onto the boat to steal our baits! We totally lost count of how many we landed. If you think you are safe when you manage to avoid the Remoras stealing your bait on the way down … think again! I personally landed all my Remoras at the bottom!

One of the many Remoras

'Pink' Emperor

To make matters worse, the wind started picking up and whatever live-squid we managed to capture were practically put to waste. Thanks to the Remoras and Dogfish Shark (‘Yu Bodoh’). At about midnight, the only fish worth mentioning was an Emperor Red Snapper by Joel … or should I say it was pink (not red) in colour. The waters were getting cold and we started hauling up Sea Snakes, Eels, Dogfish Shark and more Remoras! During this period, between Vern, Chester and myself – we rewrote the entire book of profanities!

Our squid catcher Guan Lun (a real hilarious fella while catching them) was witnessing his effort go down the drain with these pests taking our precious bait. And in desperation, he started netting anything that came to the surface – Flying Fish (great bait), Puffer Fish and Jellyfish. Basically, anything that was white, blue, green or translucent was scooped! However, between Guan Lun and myself – we managed a big Arrow Squid, which was to prove useful at the next spot.

Skipper John assisting Joel with his frisky Dogfish Shark

The Arrow Squid

By 2.00 am three anglers had given up and the only ones left fishing were Chester, Guan Lun and myself. In boredom, I took out a 200 gms jig and started jigging. The Remoras were not interested in the artificial jig and for that I was thankful. On the way up after my third drop – something grabbed my jig and that really woke me up. It was a huge take. Unfortunately, I failed to set the hook. A quick check on my reel’s Tanatou counter revealed that the jig was bashed at around 29 meters. I sent the jig down again and again, retrieving it at various speeds and paying particular attention from 35 to 20 meters, but it was not to be.

At 2.45 am we made off for the next spot and arrived an hour later. The same three anglers were the only ones awake and we went to work with the few remaining strips of the Arrow Squid we had left. Ten minutes into this spot and wham! Chester’s Shimano Speedmaster was in action! After a nice fight, up came a nice 6.5lb Golden Snapper! Finally!!! I decided to exchange the Toruim 30 for the Kaikon EV4000T and almost immediately – the rod and reel was in action. Managed to land another Golden Snapper (about 5.5 lb).

Chester with Golden Snapper

Ahhh finally

Vern woke up, sent his bait down to the depths and as if to mock us … Mother Nature and her weird sense of humor reared its head. Right smack in the best feeding period, a storm hit us. Winds up to 45 knots, 4-5 meter waves and rain! The condition was simply un-fishable with chairs flying into the sea. I managed to get a hold of Guan Lun when he was almost thrown overboard trying to save the chairs and it prompted me to tell him (and anybody else in the same situation) that the plastic chairs were simply not comparable to his life. So that’s the story of our lives. We got some rest for the first night and prayed for better fishing when the sun comes up.

Day 2 – 5th Oct

Got up around 7.40 am and the sea was raging. Thought of trying my luck, but attaching bait onto the hook proved to be a job for Spiderman! Just not worth the risk so I decided to let the storm pass.

John Hendricks told us that as soon as the weather improved, we would approach the trawlers in the area to obtain fresh squid for our second night of fishing. This will assist us and we need not worry about obtaining live-squid if the surface winds picked up (just like our first night). We could not do this now simply because the sea-state was unsafe for us to come close to any vessel.

We waited patiently and it felt like forever for the weather to improve. By the time we managed to obtain the fresh squid from a trawler nearby, it was almost noon. But I must say - $16.00 dollars for 6 kg of freshly caught squid was worth the wait. We were now ready for the final assault!

On our first night, we kept a few Dogfish Sharks that were caught in the live well. The reason was that we did not want to release them at the spot where we were fishing – just in case they started attacking our baits again. The things that anglers think of when desperate! Vern then casually remarked and wondered how it would taste like. So he asked Mr. Quek (John’s assistant) on whether he could prepare one for lunch. Guess what? Steamed nicely cut-up pieces of shark was prepared with chilli sauce. And it tasted like crabmeat! I must admit that it tasted quite nice!

After lunch, we made off for the FADs in the area. I would like to term this exercise as “Quest of the Unjamsâ€￾. John had a few FADs mapped out on his GPS, but they were simply not there! Finally after searching – we managed to find the last and final FAD in the area.

Jigging for baitfish was quite productive and some bottom fishes were landed - small Sea Bream, Sweetlip (kaci), Grouper, Kee Fish and not forgetting the resident fish at the FADs – Mr. Lizardfish!

At one point, I saw Joel frantically reeling up his line and he had what he wished for – his first Grouper for the year 2005. Although it was a small Honeycomb Grouper, his attitude was heartwarming. He was really happy and contented with his Grouper, unlike some of us who are really spoilt. Come on you guilty ones, raise your hands!

Happy & contented Joel

We were just going about with our business when I noticed a small twitch on my rod – then it got a little violent. No quarter was given or asked for and as soon as the fish was hooked - I cranked as if there was no tomorrow. Fishing at these spots out in the open sea, there is simply no time to play with these bottom dwellers. They will cut you off! I recall telling myself that with our pathetic catch rate, I was simply not going to lose this one … and after a few minutes - up came a nice Grouper (8lb plus).

The violent Grouper

After the Grouper, there was not much action – except for a badly cut-up Sea Bream. I was reeling in the fish when there was a sudden surge. Well no prizes for guessing - Mr. Barracuda and his knife work! The bottom and baitfish action soon died off and after dinner - John made for our next spot (2 hours away).

The plan was to get to this spot and target some snappers before heading out to a shipping channel for the Golden Snappers. To us, we did not care what snappers they were … be it red, gold, blue, green, purple … whatever! When we started registering bites at this particular spot, we managed to haul up Conger Eels! Okay … not a good sign and after 3 three or four Eels later, John checked the position of the boat and told us to reel up.

He re-anchored and the situation did not change – more Eels. However, we decided to give it a try for a little while. The minutes passed and everything was quiet, most of us were tired and some had trouble keeping their eyes open. We needed something to wake us up (besides coffee). Noticed a little twitch on my rod tip and it got me saying to myself … ‘Take it dammit, take it!’ And take it - it did! Whoa! Just what a sleepy angler needed, put up quite a good fight and up came the biggest Sweetlip I had ever caught. It weighed approximately 8 lb.

Joel with the big Sweetlip

Then things got all quiet again and we decided to head to our targeted spot (the shipping channel) a little earlier than intended. The journey there was a good 2 hours away. We got some rest and when we arrived, another fishing vessel was anchored there. John accessed the situation and after 45 minutes, he decided that we could not anchor Rico II correctly, with the other vessel in the way; we would be really off target. Therefore, we decided to head to our last and final destination.

Day 3 – 6th Oct

I must have been really tired and did not notice that the engines have stopped. I got up, checked the time and it was 6.48 am. A quick check with the anglers revealed that Chester had just lost a big one. Grabbed a live baitfish and sent it down without delay.

A few moments later, I heard Joel making an odd noise on the starboard side where he was fishing, so I decided to check him out. Geez! His Penn Jigmaster and Toruim 20 were in overdrive. I urged him on and told him to crank it! Don’t give it a fighting chance and get cut off. The fish surfaced, splashed and I ran to the stern to inform the other anglers to reel up in case our lines got entangled. As we were reeling up, the fish managed to dive and earn its freedom in some underwater structure. Joel was disappointed, but carried on fishing nonetheless. Two biggies lost in a couple of minutes and although Joel’s adversary surfaced, we could not identify what it was. The only thing we could make out was the colour - pink! And it was big.

The next angler in action was Edwin. A good take, a perfectly bent Ugly Stick and line peeling off the TLD15. For a moment I thought that his line got snagged but I was wrong. Edwin asked for the gimbal belt and whatever was hooked on managed to swim under. Before the belt could be fastened, the unthinkable happened – burst line thanks to the boat’s hull. The score? Fish : 3, Anglers : 0. And if you think that was the final score, wrong! Another hit on Joel’s line and it was 4-0. Four fishes lost in a span of 20 minutes. The only fish landed here was a small golden Snapper by Guan Lun using a handline. So that does not count!

After losing the fishes, everything went quiet again and we started speculating. Edwin was enjoying the sunshine when his set up went into action again. A good thug of war ensued and after a few minutes he managed to haul up a 10lb Queen fish.

Edwin and his Queen

Joel with a closer shot of Edwin's Queen

That was the last fish landed and we made our way back to MCC. Personally, I would rate the catch at 5.5. It could have been better, then again – it could have been worse. The most valuable lesson we learnt was never trust the book. Perfect current, calm sea-state etc … Mother Nature will prove you wrong. However, the company was great. It was real pleasure fishing with new acquaintances and I am pretty sure we will do it again.

Total Haul excluding Remoras ... duh!

The Motley Crue

Our thanks to Uncle Harry for arranging this trip for us and to Jamie … thank you for the send off and reception. It was really touching!

Lastly to my five friends that spent two nights with me … I would like to say ‘Be a man, do the right thing’. Cheers guys!

Trip Highlights :-

- John Hendricks giving nicknames to Joel (One Armed Bandit) and Guan Lun (Mr. Cartoon)

- Edwin acting like a Chinaman hanging out in NTUC with a flowery shirt

- Guan Lun thinking that the song Emotions by Samantha Sang & Barry Gibb was a cover version and the version by Destiny’s Child the original … what the hell?

- Approximately 60 plus Remoras …. Duh!

- Chester doing his rendition of Russell Peters … ‘Be a fish, do the right thing and eat my bait’

- And finally, say my name baby …oh my gawd ….. !xobolie. Ok for those who have seen Russel Peters’ stand-up, you know what I mean
  • venpk09
    Wohooo!
    your the man!

but I think it was edwin queen up first before i lost the 2nd take on flourcarbon line and 15-18cm flying fish.
    but what the... we had great fun though!

lesson learnt, never try to save on leader lines!

GREAT CR!!!

btw, last night cannot forget this song with some great guitar acoustics that was played onboard. think was 2nd CD. tried to recall the tune this morning but totally forgotten liao. #-o
  • chester
    eye in the sky or eye of the tiger? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: or mixture of both??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great CR kel. no need to say more...You did the right thing! You the Man! :lol: :lol: :lol: Say your name babe....OMG....!elvin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • venpk09
    hey... how bout discussing with john about a single night green water trip? you know which spot im refering to... :smt045

maybe we take 6-8 anglers and try to work out cost with him on a weekday, cos he seems reluctant to do single day on weekends.

quoting your solgan liao: SOUNDS like A PLAN? :smt023
  • Botakmigrain
    nice catches bro..... :D
  • Gary Lim
    Haha, sounds like u guys have lots of fun, bite or no bite!

Man, Kel! Your CR brings a smile and a tear to my eye. U da man!

:smt038

Great CR! :smt023
  • pow73
    wa worth the trip leh.....Good Cr man!!!
  • Vin Tan
    Wow Swee!!!!! 8)
  • Icebomb
    Wondeful CR to brigthen my day.....

hope i can break my barren spell during my 3 day marathon which starts today.... :lol:
  • uncle
    One of the best CR I have read. Great CR.
  • uncle
    venpk09" said:
    hey... how bout discussing with john about a single night green water trip? you know which spot im refering to... :smt045

maybe we take 6-8 anglers and try to work out cost with him on a weekday, cos he seems reluctant to do single day on weekends.

I am sorry that day at Pongol Marina was such a rush rush........are you the one with a bandage on your hand......if you are please contact me. John called me today looking for "you" with regards to overnight trip. Or if you have John's number please called directly.

cheers
  • Kelvin Gerard
    venpk09" said:
    Wohooo!
    your the man!

but I think it was edwin queen up first before i lost the 2nd take on flourcarbon line and 15-18cm flying fish.
    but what the... we had great fun though!

lesson learnt, never try to save on leader lines!

GREAT CR!!!

btw, last night cannot forget this song with some great guitar acoustics that was played onboard. think was 2nd CD. tried to recall the tune this morning but totally forgotten liao. #-o
    Oops! Really? Must have got the sequence mixed up. But the score remains - Fish 4, Anglers 0 :oops:

The song ... was it Mr Big - To be with you? Vern - a recall check? You were the DJ of the trip ......... make that every trip!

Hold on lil' girl, show me what he's done to you, wake up lil' girl, broken hearts can't be that bad ......
  • Kelvin Gerard
    uncle" said:
    [quote="venpk09"]hey... how bout discussing with john about a single night green water trip? you know which spot im refering to... :smt045

I am sorry that day at Pongol Marina was such a rush rush........are you the one with a bandage on your hand......if you are please contact me. John called me today looking for "you" with regards to overnight trip. Or if you have John's number please called directly.

cheers[/quote]

Uncle ... once again, my thanks for the assistance.

Yes this is the famous one arm bandit (thanks to John) :lol:

Ooi! This overight trip, please count me in! Got some score to settle! :x
  • Grago
    Brudder Kel,

a great CR. Yes i did enjoy myself. But you know la... i always have my reservations on certain matters... 8) A very warm skipper and deckie.

Can you do me a favour... remove the pix of me eating can??? I beg you :prayer: :smt058

I will start to plan the March and May trip soon. This time to where my heart is :wink:

See you soon for gout session! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • chester
    Grago" said:
    Brudder Kel,

a great CR. Yes i did enjoy myself. But you know la... i always have my reservations on certain matters... 8) A very warm skipper and deckie.

Can you do me a favour... remove the pix of me eating can??? I beg you :prayer: :smt058

I will start to plan the March and May trip soon. This time to where my heart is :wink:

Don't foget me, good to have a nurse around.
  • venpk09
    edited October 2005
    nope, its not by mr big... really forgot the tune liao. it was just echoing in my head last night. lol

hi uncle, im thinking of getting enough interested anglers before contacting either you or john with regards on a single overnite trip. i cannot really go down to puggol marina as and when i like on weekdays as im in NS.

whos interested? i was thinking of max 8 anglers on board.
    from what i had spoken to john so far, i think hes keen on just weekdays, he will not do a weekend trip unless theres no bookings.

uncle harry, im not sure how expenses of the rico boat is. perhaps you can advice? so we can estimate how much will a reasonable price be for such a overnite trip. thanks!

thinking of leaving at around 7.30 or 10 pm, go clear customs, reach spot area around 12 midnite. get bait(squid) from nearby boats, can buy milk fishes along too. maybe can even squeeze one spot either before or after we clear customs before we hit the targeted spot at 1.00-3.00 am. or maybe just try to get as many big flying fishes as bait before 2.00am.
    fish till 8.00, den pack up. thus should reach shore by 10.00-12.00

what do you think?
    kelvin?
    any suggestions?
    any takers?

can contact me at joeltee@gmail.com
    thanks!
  • Michael Lim
    Hey... not bad..

I see you guys have left Gotham City far behind this time... No more Batman.... ahhaha
  • venpk09
    Michael Lim" said:
    Hey... not bad..

I see you guys have left Gotham City far behind this time... No more Batman.... ahhaha
    now is bata shoe warehouse!!!
  • yuna
    edwin edwin, do drop me pmsg when u free~
  • uncle
    venpk09" said:
    nope, its not by mr big... really forgot the tune liao. it was just echoing in my head last night. lol

hi uncle, im thinking of getting enough interested anglers before contacting either you or john with regards on a single overnite trip. i cannot really go down to puggol marina as and when i like on weekdays as im in NS.

from what i had spoken to john so far, i think hes keen on just weekdays, he will not do a weekend trip unless theres no bookings.

uncle harry, im not sure how expenses of the rico boat is. perhaps you can advice? so we can estimate how much will a reasonable price be for such a overnite trip. thanks!

thinking of leaving at around 7.30 or 10 pm, go clear customs, reach spot area around 12 midnite. get bait(squid) from nearby boats, can buy milk fishes along too. maybe can even squeeze one spot either before or after we clear customs before we hit the targeted spot at 1.00-3.00 am. or maybe just try to get as many big flying fishes as bait before 2.00am.

what do you think?
    kelvin?
    any suggestions?
    any takers?

thanks!
    I have no idea too cause have never gone out with John one a single day trip. He just called me regarding your interest. I will check with him and revert.

cheers
  • uncle
    venpk09" said:
    [quote="Michael Lim"]Hey... not bad..

now is bata shoe warehouse!!![/quote]

Thats a good one.............
  • Kelvin Gerard
    Joel : Not Mr Big? Oh well the next trip we will bring that CD collection again and then you can browse. Or you can hum the tune to Vern and he will probably know. Also with regards to the overnite session - let me know when. Most probably will join you. Like I said before, got scores to settle.

Not sooo nice now

Back to nice again
  • Fat fisherman
    I am green with envy reading the CR. Really made me think if I could have survive that storm.

I guess not.

Anyway good CR. Cheers
  • Penn
    Seems like you guys have had a fun trip. Catch rate are rather not to your expectation.

But I am sure you will agree with me that John & Mr Quek are both very accomodating host. John is always trying his best to search for the best spot and always use his vast experience to good use. The boat is spacious & comfortable.

It's good for you guys to get some fresh baits from the trawlers. My last trip didn't have that luxury due to the bad weather & storm.

I will be going onboard his boat in Nov :supz: Hopefully the weather is kind to us this time. I've got a couple of not-so-motion-resistence fishos onboard :-$
  • Kelvin Gerard
    Penn" said:
    Seems like you guys have had a fun trip. Catch rate are rather not to your expectation.

But I am sure you will agree with me that John & Mr Quek are both very accomodating host. John is always trying his best to search for the best spot and always use his vast experience to good use. The boat is spacious & comfortable.

It's good for you guys to get some fresh baits from the trawlers. My last trip didn't have that luxury due to the bad weather & storm.

I will be going onboard his boat in Nov :supz: Hopefully the weather is kind to us this time. I've got a couple of not-so-motion-resistence fishos onboard :-$
    Hi Penn,

Would not say that catch rate not to our expectation. It could have been worse. Anything else is a consolation. That's fishing I guess.

Yes - like Vern put it ... John and Mr Quek are really nice. And yes, the skipper tried his best. The last and final spot was a waste. 4 lost biggies :oops: Rico II - one of the most comfy local fishing vessels I have been on.

Good luck on your trip in Nov! Tight lines! And just in case there's hurling :smt078 ... pop the Marzine. Better to be drowsy instead of green and dubbed the berley maker!!
  • Amberjack Hunter
    Kel & team, very nice CR as usual :wink: and can see that you guys have lotsa fun ha.....could have been some nice consolation if hadn't miss those big strikes. 8)

Ches, boleh tahan man....bye bye Bonas.......and here comes the Gooolldaass .... :P ...next time you fish with me, I'll know who to give the Yu Bodoh.. :P

Slappoes,..I share this war cry from team SEPAK with you.........

"Dun Worry Bout The Weather,......As Long as We're Together"

Rgds
    Bro RK
  • EdWiN-_^
    venpk09" said:

what do you think?
    kelvin?
    any suggestions?
    any takers?

thanks!

Joel :brother ! Update me manz.. Im interested ! But gotta check out the date..

yuna : Alamak... You MIA ah ? where have u been ?

regards,
    lw
  • venpk09
    uncle" said:

I have no idea too cause have never gone out with John one a single day trip. He just called me regarding your interest. I will check with him and revert.

cheers
    thanks uncle harry for your trouble.

will start asking around immediately.

interested anglers

kelvin
    edwin
    joel

how bout chester, vern, kao tun, uncle harry and jamie?

will get around 8 interested anglers and see which dates will good for fishing and everybody be able to come.
    good luck to my search!!!

hopefully can get 6-7 anglers on board to fish comfortable. dun want deck to be overcrowded.

kelvin: thats werid, i sent those same 3 pics of the weather to my friend showing him the sea state. lol, like dei ja vu.
  • iam537
    Grago" said:
    Brudder Kel,

First of all Kel, Greaaaaaaaaaat CR as usual. :smt041 and like you said I thought my Kaci was the biggest I've seen (during last outing in Sedili) but your takes the cake bro!!

Vern - Wassup with removing the photo... "you don't eat much!!!" :lol: :smt044 . If you are planning next trip next year, count me out until after August 06. If you want me to plan the dates let me know may I can put a calender for the team's website. And I know where your heart is!!!! :-$ :smt002

Chester - In that pic (with Vern), you look macam a sotong with those big eyes going for da kill!!!! :smt043

Guan Lun - John named you cartoon correctly as I've said previously I would loved to see the expression your face when you have fished ON!!! :twisted: . But on a serious note, mother nature can wreck havoc when she's in a foul mood, especially these last few months..so safety always comes first. ALWAYS BE SAFE AND NOT SORRY!!!
  • yuna
    i'm interested
    what are the costs like?
  • venpk09
    yuna" said:
    i'm interested
    what are the costs like?
    im assuming you are asking about the single night trip.
    i feel it will be definately be more expensive den the usual 50-75 dollars normal night trips. will get enough anglers before asking john about prospective dates and the price.
    if cost is unrealistic, probably will just cancel the trip.

100 or less is my guess. this should include baits, food etc...
    moreover, i believe we won't want the boat to be overcrowded. as the fishes there peel drag and swim around like nobodys business when hook on. :evil:

also, remember to bring passport as need to clear customs.
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2019