Modified Abu 5500

Anonymous
edited October 2005 in Reels
Good day to all



My Abu Garcia 5 Thousand 5 Twin Cam V6 Engine.

I'm doing a survey on the above mentioned reels. I would like to know how many people is interested in modifying their baitcasting reels into super-fast high speed plug casting reels. That is relying on magnetic control knob(similiar to the one in the picture).



What about a CT Cage for the 25s and 2600s?
  • SBSP
    Hi Edmund,

    Is that a Japanese sideplate you have there? Nicely done. Will the price for the mods be high? Just wondering.

    Regards
  • Anonymous
    SBSP" said:
    Hi Edmund,

    Is that a Japanese sideplate you have there? Nicely done. Will the price for the mods be high? Just wondering.

    Regards

    Price will be very competitive. As for what is available in the market, they are all using materials which you can find in a hardware shop. Whereas, every single part of my mod is precisely machined out. So it's definately worth the bucks to craft out something which is exquisite.

    This reel which you see in the picture is heavily modified internally. Not only the magnetics but the bushing and spool. It's very fast now!!
  • Thongy
    hi edmund,

    hope you've been well, been a while, eh ?

    nice mag conversion....

    but for plugging and fishing with braid, would prefer the line guide for ease of winding and line lay.... save my fingers from cuts with braid...

    would like to still have the clicker in place too, as I actually prefer braid for light line big bait/big fish angling with 12' Daiwa Interline Emblem (Carp) rods...

    What I have in mind is to convert both my 6500C3CLs to accept mags..... so I can cast big baits in whatever wind conditions with the ease of a few turns of the mag for total control.....

    the sideplate on my reels are the palming variety, and the only person I know who does that is located in NZ..... and he certainly charges quite a bit for the bits and postage and packing.... cost nearly as much as the reel ... :(

    won't put the link here.... mail me if you don't know who i'm talking about.... :wink:

    I believe you can the parts done up at less than a quarter of the price in Singapore..... you can see the photo of the parts and how it's fixed from the photos at the site.... and postage to London is a sneeze....

    think about it please.... :wink:

    cheers.
  • FishyIdea
    SBSP" said:
    Hi Edmund,

    Is that a Japanese sideplate you have there? Nicely done. Will the price for the mods be high? Just wondering.

    Regards
    SBSP, your Mee Siam is power...
  • SBSP
    That's not mine. :P
  • Anonymous
    Hi Andrew

    Nice to hear from you again. I'm fine and is glad that you are still browsing FK.com

    Regarding the modification kit, I can supply to the UK if there is a demand for it.

    Currently, I'm still considering to have my own machinerys to create fishing accessories like the flying gaff pole, hand gaff, sand spike, tripods, Avet and Abu Mag Mod, binding track for customised rods and etc.

    What do you think of my chances of going into the foreign markets with the reel mods? Cos I think there isn't much people who is out to do it. Plus, I felt that there is a demand for Avet and Abu mag mods.

    Pls send me the URL for the site. I would like to take a look at it.

    Thanks Andrew



    Thongy" said:
    hi edmund,

    hope you've been well, been a while, eh ?

    nice mag conversion....

    but for plugging and fishing with braid, would prefer the line guide for ease of winding and line lay.... save my fingers from cuts with braid...

    would like to still have the clicker in place too, as I actually prefer braid for light line big bait/big fish angling with 12' Daiwa Interline Emblem (Carp) rods...

    What I have in mind is to convert both my 6500C3CLs to accept mags..... so I can cast big baits in whatever wind conditions with the ease of a few turns of the mag for total control.....

    the sideplate on my reels are the palming variety, and the only person I know who does that is located in NZ..... and he certainly charges quite a bit for the bits and postage and packing.... cost nearly as much as the reel ... :(

    won't put the link here.... mail me if you don't know who i'm talking about.... :wink:

    I believe you can the parts done up at less than a quarter of the price in Singapore..... you can see the photo of the parts and how it's fixed from the photos at the site.... and postage to London is a sneeze....

    think about it please.... :wink:

    cheers.
  • Thongy
    Hi Edmund,

    You have e-mail........

    as for info on the demand in the UK for gadgets and conversions...

    there is a 'hugh' demand for sensible priced products..... most charge too much to do specialised work, charging specialised money for the special job.. :roll:

    they are mainly aim at tournament casters.....

    but for us anglers, and there are a few thousand times more anglers than tournament casters, these prices are too high......

    I believe that if you are able to get it done in Singapore, it will be priced sufficiently appetising for this mass market here.....
    just as long as the product do not weigh much as postage charges could be too high and put some off....

    think about it..... :wink:
  • lh_nerd
    edmund izzit possible to mod my abu to very smooth for casting lures abu 2500
  • Jacktrevally
    My advice, you don't need a CT cage unless you are targetting distance and need a nice grip on your spool.

    The mag conversion looks bulky, smaller types are availaible and they can be done for £20 in the U.K. They are reliable and sleek on the reel. I think that in the U.K if you need a conversion you go to someone who is known in the Business not a DIY kit!!!

    Trust me, if you are after 10yds to do a tournament conversion, for fishing it doesn't matter. You are not competing for the olympics!!! Better casting techniques will gain you more than 10yds unless you are casting 250yds and is looking for that extra 10yds.

    NOW BE HONEST.... Do you think that one magnet can provide more breaking than 4 brake blocks? If you can't control your reel with 4 big blocks in a head wind then do you think you'll do better with one magnet???

    For me, I won't bother to get a conversion unless I'm tournament casting and have reached a decent cast.

    A CT cage, with braid is not great. As Thongy said if you are spinning or ledgering and using braid, well use a CS cage.
    I would like to know how many people is interested in modifying their baitcasting reels into super-fast high speed plug casting reels. That is relying on magnetic control knob(similiar to the one in the picture)
    Waste of Time! Sorry if I do sound rude....

    Waste of your Money, use that money and buy yourself a Mag elite with a professional mag included in the reel.

    "Super fast"
    That's What you need on a field!!! On the fishing scene, you need a well tune reel (user freindly), you don't want half of your time to sort out birdnest! Plug casting??? How will you reel in and line lay at the same time and play the lure? Remember CT cage you need your thumb to line lay!


    Another thing that we need to clear before people get dissapointed! The type of magnetic Knob that you see does not suit the purpose for short range casting. Well, may be I should enlighten how it is use!!!

    Cast, count to 3 and back off the magnet. So if you are targetting only 30yds it a wate of time, by the time you back off the magnet your lure will be hitting the water. The only use I can find is that you set a fix setting for one weight of lure and increase or decrease when you are casting a different weight of lure. Problem again, there is no dial to know how much breaking you need for ech type of weighted lures since there is no marking on the knob!!!!


    Now again, you better get yourself a baitcaster reel which have a dial indication where you can adjust more accurately.

    Think well before you do any conversion on your expensive reel. Ask yourself first. DO I REALLY NEED IT? WHAT WILL I BENEFIT FROM IT? If you are tournament casting then may be you can consider but stillremember that a magelite with no conversion can cast 200M no problem at all!


    That is my feedback...

    Cheers,

    JT.
  • Anonymous
    lh_nerd" said:
    edmund izzit possible to mod my abu to very smooth for casting lures abu 2500
    You don't need a full mod Abu 2500 to cast lures. Just brush up your plug casting technique and you will find it useful for lure fishing.

    Smooth operation of your reel depends on how you maintain and service it.
  • Anonymous
    Hi Kelvin

    Thank you for your inputs. These are valuable points which I should take note. I will certainly do more research in the times to come.

    Meanwhile, it is not confirmed that I will be getting the machinerys. So I'm just doing a survey now which maybe of help to me later on. I wants to know what people wants and if I can be of help.

    Lastly, I certainly do not instigate people to buy my products if they are not useful to them.

    The Mag Convertion for 2500 isn't the one with knob. I hv the designs with me but it is not for public viewing.

    As for 55s and 65s. I'm sorry but I don't think anybody will be fishing ultra big baits with them since they don't carry enough line capacity. Besides, I think a rough ground fishing rod doesn't suit a 6500 with 12lbs or 15lbs line with a shock leader.

    These reels just aren't powerful enough and lack of the line capacity to handle something big.
    Jacktrevally" said:
    My advice, you don't need a CT cage unless you are targetting distance and need a nice grip on your spool.

    The mag conversion looks bulky, smaller types are availaible and they can be done for £20 in the U.K. They are reliable and sleek on the reel. I think that in the U.K if you need a conversion you go to someone who is known in the Business not a DIY kit!!!

    Trust me, if you are after 10yds to do a tournament conversion, for fishing it doesn't matter. You are not competing for the olympics!!! Better casting techniques will gain you more than 10yds unless you are casting 250yds and is looking for that extra 10yds.

    NOW BE HONEST.... Do you think that one magnet can provide more breaking than 4 brake blocks? If you can't control your reel with 4 big blocks in a head wind then do you think you'll do better with one magnet???

    For me, I won't bother to get a conversion unless I'm tournament casting and have reached a decent cast.

    A CT cage, with braid is not great. As Thongy said if you are spinning or ledgering and using braid, well use a CS cage.
    I would like to know how many people is interested in modifying their baitcasting reels into super-fast high speed plug casting reels. That is relying on magnetic control knob(similiar to the one in the picture)
    Waste of Time! Sorry if I do sound rude....

    Waste of your Money, use that money and buy yourself a Mag elite with a professional mag included in the reel.

    "Super fast"
    That's What you need on a field!!! On the fishing scene, you need a well tune reel (user freindly), you don't want half of your time to sort out birdnest! Plug casting??? How will you reel in and line lay at the same time and play the lure? Remember CT cage you need your thumb to line lay!


    Another thing that we need to clear before people get dissapointed! The type of magnetic Knob that you see does not suit the purpose for short range casting. Well, may be I should enlighten how it is use!!!

    Cast, count to 3 and back off the magnet. So if you are targetting only 30yds it a wate of time, by the time you back off the magnet your lure will be hitting the water. The only use I can find is that you set a fix setting for one weight of lure and increase or decrease when you are casting a different weight of lure. Problem again, there is no dial to know how much breaking you need for ech type of weighted lures since there is no marking on the knob!!!!


    Now again, you better get yourself a baitcaster reel which have a dial indication where you can adjust more accurately.

    Think well before you do any conversion on your expensive reel. Ask yourself first. DO I REALLY NEED IT? WHAT WILL I BENEFIT FROM IT? If you are tournament casting then may be you can consider but stillremember that a magelite with no conversion can cast 200M no problem at all!


    That is my feedback...

    Cheers,

    JT.
  • Thongy
    quite right, quite right....

    lot's of flipping baitcasters in the market have mag control.... made for the bass fishing in the US with jigs and lures.... so don't really need to convert a reel for that purpose...
    these reels have line guides, brilliant for braid and retrieving a lure....

    reel do here in the UK still can't get hold of the right size magnet for my mag conversion... I already have brake blocks, and the line guide slows the reel down to controllable speeds, but I have always felt that it still needs an extra magnet to vary the amount of braking when casting whole fish as bait in the windy conditions that we have here in the UK.....

    don't think there is an abu reel in the shops that has mags, centrifugal brake blocks, line guide, and a clicker all in one package.....

    If I mag mine, it'll be perfect.... with 250+ yds of braid, casting out 60-80 yds I'll still have more than a 100 yds of line for the run and fight the fish with.... it will be the fight of a lifetime with my Daiwa Interline carp rods....

    I like the baitrunner mechanism of my Shimano fixed spool carp reels, but I hate casting with it with braid hanging on my finger ... it's clumsy compared with the abu multi ... :wink:
  • Jacktrevally
    On a clean beach, I still favour 15lb or 18lb, so a 6500 is sufficient for my type of fishing. I know you can get emtied by a decent fish but I don't encounter such fishes all the time I'm fishing. I still use one big bait or 3 small bait.

    Rough ground, with heavy weed and reefs/boulders around, fast tides, then 30lb line straight through on a bigger reel which can take sensible amount of 30-40lb line.

    JT
  • Icebomb
    Hi, me thinking of modifying my Penn Peer 302 as the speed is slow and drag totally sucks.How do i start?
  • Anonymous
    icebomb" said:
    Hi, me thinking of modifying my Penn Peer 302 as the speed is slow and drag totally sucks.How do i start?
    You can go to the tackle shop look for the Penn HT100 drags for replacement. Or, smoothie drags is a secondary choice as some people say good some don't.

    Speed is slow as in cranking? If yes, this is not going to be an easy task and I would rather say quite tedious. Both the pinion and the drive gears got to be modified or change to a higher cranking ratio.
  • Allen
    Jack Lai" said:
    [quote="icebomb"]Hi, me thinking of modifying my Penn Peer 302 as the speed is slow and drag totally sucks.How do i start?
    You can go to the tackle shop look for the Penn HT100 drags for replacement. Or, smoothie drags is a secondary choice as some people say good some don't.

    Speed is slow as in cranking? If yes, this is not going to be an easy task and I would rather say quite tedious. Both the pinion and the drive gears got to be modified or change to a higher cranking ratio.[/quote]

    Hi ice, no point thinking of gear ratio mod.. it is very tough topic, too many consideration and finally will not be cheap... buying a stronger reel would be better choice..

    Rdgs / Allen
  • Icebomb
    Allen" said:
    [quote="Jack Lai"][quote="icebomb"]Hi, me thinking of modifying my Penn Peer 302 as the speed is slow and drag totally sucks.How do i start?
    You can go to the tackle shop look for the Penn HT100 drags for replacement. Or, smoothie drags is a secondary choice as some people say good some don't.

    Speed is slow as in cranking? If yes, this is not going to be an easy task and I would rather say quite tedious. Both the pinion and the drive gears got to be modified or change to a higher cranking ratio.[/quote]

    Hi ice, no point thinking of gear ratio mod.. it is very tough topic, too many consideration and finally will not be cheap... buying a stronger reel would be better choice..

    Rdgs / Allen[/quote]

    Ic.how about ball bearings?I understand my reel no ball bearings.....can it be modified to contain ball bearings?(Dont think so hor :? )

    Btw ball bearings are for keeping things smooth?Or?
  • Anonymous
    icebomb" said:
    Ic.how about ball bearings?I understand my reel no ball bearings.....can it be modified to contain ball bearings?(Dont think so hor :? ) Btw ball bearings are for keeping things smooth?Or?
    I don't think so, because that model is not made to install BBs. BB is to enhance smoothness and less friction of the spinning of spool.
Sign In or Register to comment.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2019
All times are UTC