super newbie

raymond ee
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
hi... i am sorry.. i got some super newbie questions to post.
1. how do ppl fish out at sea in the boat? do they cast very far away from the boat?? or is handline equally as efficient?
2. in my eyes, i thought a fishing rod with a line, with a hook and a weight can start the reel reeling liao... but apparently, from what i see on the forum, i think i am wrong... why?
what else do i need on the line then?
3. how happen if a catch a big fish on handline? how do i go about fighting? or there is no skill involved? juz pull and hope the line don't break?

thanks for the answer in advance.
  • Michael Lim
    raymond ee" said:
    1. how do ppl fish out at sea in the boat? do they cast very far away from the boat?? or is handline equally as efficient?
    2. in my eyes, i thought a fishing rod with a line, with a hook and a weight can start the reel reeling liao... but apparently, from what i see on the forum, i think i am wrong... why?
    3. how happen if a catch a big fish on handline? how do i go about fighting? or there is no skill involved? juz pull and hope the line don't break?

1. Boat fishing does not require casting most of the time. They normally just drop the baits or lures down directly. Only exception is Popping.

2. To start fishing, all you'd need would be a handline tied to a hook and some weight or float. But angling requires a rod and reel which is matched to a specific line class. The terminal rig on the other end can be of a lure, or rig.

3. If you catch a big fish on handline, then you'd need to allow the fish to take the line slowly (under pressure, to tire it out) But do note to be careful and not to get cut by the line when the fish chooses to take line and make a dash for it.

Cheers,
  • T-Rex
    raymond ee" said:

I'm quite a newbie too but I'll try to answer to the best of my limited knowledge,

1) If you're fishing on the boat there is no need to cast at all, just open the reel and let the sinker do it's job( bottom bashing). Handline will do just fine unless the place you're fishing at is very deep. For example, 70m ship wreck, you'll have a hard time keeping the line.

2) I think you're missing out on the bait :wink:

3) If you got a biggy on handline, just pull back as per normal. If you have major difficulty in pulling back, same theory applies, fish pull you let go, fish rest you pull back. When fish pull again, you let go. Usually handline poundage is about 80 to 100lbs, quite hard to burst this type of main line.
  • Captain Yesterday
    A high/thick poundage handline is alot more dangerous than a lower/thinner ones when a big fish strikes or when line snags during drifting. I suggest sticking to rods and reels if you're not sure.
  • Michael Lim
    Captain Yesterday" said:
    A high/thick poundage handline is alot more dangerous than a lower/thinner ones when a big fish strikes or when line snags during drifting. I suggest sticking to rods and reels if you're not sure.
    Eh... a thicker handline is much easier to handle and would have less chance of cutting your hand.

The thinner the line, the higher chance it'll cut into you.
  • Captain Yesterday
    Michael Lim" said:
    Eh... a thicker handline is much easier to handle and would have less chance of cutting your hand.

That may be true if you're used to handlines. Line cuts are better than being drag into the water. If the angler isn't careful, he may entangle lines on his hands or stepping on his own line. Anglers get less alert when fish hasn't been biting and less cautious to these things when fighting a fish. i.e. gan jiong. A big fish or a snag may possibly drag him into the water.

Another example If he's using a 100 lbs line and its snag on drifting, tries to free the line by pulling but unable break free. Depending on the current and wind conditions, the angler may not be able to release the line without get line cuts. If he had been using a low poundage line, it would have a chance of breaking before a line cut.

But that said, thinner lines has its dangers to. That's why I advised him to stick to rods and reels. My post written with newbies in mind, don't take any offense it :wink:
  • raymond ee
    sorry.. the handline i am refering to is those that are sold in the fish tackle shops that come with everything(hooks, lines, and weight) in a set.. those that sell for 2.50 a spool..
    anyway, can that be use to catch biggies?? or shld i buy a more expensive and thicker one?
  • Michael Lim
    Captain Yesterday" said:
    [quote="Michael Lim"]Eh... a thicker handline is much easier to handle and would have less chance of cutting your hand.

That may be true if you're used to handlines. Line cuts are better than being drag into the water. If the angler isn't careful, he may entangle lines on his hands or stepping on his own line. Anglers get less alert when fish hasn't been biting and less cautious to these things when fighting a fish. i.e. gan jiong. A big fish or a snag may possibly drag him into the water.

Another example If he's using a 100 lbs line and its snag on drifting, tries to free the line by pulling but unable break free. Depending on the current and wind conditions, the angler may not be able to release the line without get line cuts. If he had been using a low poundage line, it would have a chance of breaking before a line cut.

But that said, thinner lines has its dangers to. That's why I advised him to stick to rods and reels. My post written with newbies in mind, don't take any offense it :wink:[/quote]

No worries,

and to anyone who wishes to use braided lines as handlines, please dun even think about it. Coz it's almost impossible to break and it has the highest tendencies of cutting in your hand if you ever try to fight a big one on it.

cheers,
  • Michael Lim
    raymond ee" said:
    sorry.. the handline i am refering to is those that are sold in the fish tackle shops that come with everything(hooks, lines, and weight) in a set.. those that sell for 2.50 a spool..
    anyway, can that be use to catch biggies?? or shld i buy a more expensive and thicker one?
    First of all, what are you intending to use it against? For anything less than say 1 to 2 kilos, most of the smaller handlines would be sufficient.

But if you intend to use it off a boat or against some monsters, then you may wish to reconsider.

cheers,
  • raymond ee
    ok.. actually, i bought a porto inflatable boat from one of the kakis here. then i wanted to try a bit of offshore fishing with that.. not too far out... but deef enough to drop my handlines.. what fish i can i target at yishun dam?
    thanks guys for all the reply.
  • Michael Lim
    raymond ee" said:
    ok.. actually, i bought a porto inflatable boat from one of the kakis here. then i wanted to try a bit of offshore fishing with that.. not too far out... but deef enough to drop my handlines.. what fish i can i target at yishun dam?
    thanks guys for all the reply.
    oic... Well, that should do fine, until you meet up with a monster (luckily or unluckily... :lol: )

There should be quite a diverse amount of species there, you may be looking at fishes such as Groupers, KBLs, etc...
  • raymond ee
    well... sorry for my long windedness, but how deep is deep then, if i want to drop my handline and wan to have a higher chance of catching.. also wanna try crabbing there... any comments?
  • Michael Lim
    raymond ee" said:
    well... sorry for my long windedness, but how deep is deep then, if i want to drop my handline and wan to have a higher chance of catching.. also wanna try crabbing there... any comments?
    Eh.... this I'm not too sure. Anyone care to help on this.
  • shineshy
    u using ur porto inflatable boat in reservior ? or near coastal area ?

mind if i ask...Since some reservior is open now..do we need a license for all these inflatable boat ??? :roll:
  • Michael Lim
    shineshy" said:
    u using ur porto inflatable boat in reservior ? or near coastal area ?

mind if i ask...Since some reservior is open now..do we need a license for all these inflatable boat ??? :roll:
    The reservoirs are not open to the public using boats in them.

Please note that