How to fish in windy and choppy sea waters..

Spawn78
Hi everyone

Kinda new to fishing..pls advise on how to fish offshore in windy and choppy waters conditions. Below are some advise from my peer but wish to confirm if its true:

1) Do i need to keep my line tight so it doesnt 'belly' due to the wind? 
 Query: If i tightened the line, wouldnt the fish felt that there is resistance and affect my catch rate.

2) To keep my rod lowered all the time, after my casting.
Query: Since i always used apollo rig, wouldnt it affect the height of the fishing hooks.

3) Query: How do u knoe if the current or wind is moving ur sinker? If i change to a heavy sinker, would it affect my catch rate... 

Pls advise me. In a dilemma..
  • Michael Lim
    Spawn78 said:
    Hi everyone

Kinda new to fishing..pls advise on how to fish offshore in windy and choppy waters conditions. Below are some advise from my peer but wish to confirm if its true:

1) Do i need to keep my line tight so it doesnt 'belly' due to the wind? 
     Query: If i tightened the line, wouldnt the fish felt that there is resistance and affect my catch rate.

2) To keep my rod lowered all the time, after my casting.
    Query: Since i always used apollo rig, wouldnt it affect the height of the fishing hooks.

3) Query: How do u knoe if the current or wind is moving ur sinker? If i change to a heavy sinker, would it affect my catch rate... 

Pls advise me. In a dilemma..

1) Yes, keep the lines tight.  You will feel the fish taking and can strike immediately or release tension and let the fish take the bait deeper.
    I do tenya and it is a requirement to keep tension on it at all times.  We strike immediately as most of the targets are predators which swallow the bait immediately.

2) It will drop it slightly but you can keep the line under tension with the amount of line.

3) You can feel the line going either away from you or towards you.  I am assuming you are fishing off an anchored boat by now and it will be very obvious and most anglers would be facing the side where the current is going away from the boat or else you can get your lines stuck under the boat easily.

There is a balance where increasing the weight is a necessary problem as currents can pick up quite a bit, and coupled with the likely thicker lines and leaders often used for baiting, you will get more resistance from the water and more chances of "layang or belly.

I balance off with my tenya setup by using light lines and leaders and we drift with the current, so we have more chances of getting away with lighter weights than stationary anglers.