Need tips for baitcaster. New to using bc reel. HELP!!

ShaneRasis
Decided to learn using bc reel and bought daiwa tatula 100h reel.. Can anyone give me tips on what braided line is best and how long should the shock leader be for baitcaster? Use the same length like spinning reel but it just don't feel right on bc.. Please help
  • Michael Lim
    Use the thinnest you can safely get away with your setup.  I would suggest using 10lb line for a start.  Match with 20 to 30lb leaders (depends on what you are targeting.)

Leaders would be best kept short, 2 feet or so so that your knot for mainline to leader is kept outside the tip.  I do cast with leader around the spool with long leaders, but it does have some effects on your cast and may be hampered on the way out.  In such cases, you'd need to tie with very good low profile knots such as FG knot.  Albrights, etc would be too big and may get hindered during the cast.
  • ShaneRasis
    Use the thinnest you can safely get away with your setup.  I would suggest using 10lb line for a start.  Match with 20 to 30lb leaders (depends on what you are targeting.)

Leaders would be best kept short, 2 feet or so so that your knot for mainline to leader is kept outside the tip.  I do cast with leader around the spool with long leaders, but it does have some effects on your cast and may be hampered on the way out.  In such cases, you'd need to tie with very good low profile knots such as FG knot.  Albrights, etc would be too big and may get hindered during the cast.
    ​Alright! Thanks man!