Need tips on casting far (for reservoir fishing)

jayaxel
Hi guys!

I recently started fishing at marina reservoir 2 weekends ago, but have not managed to catch anything even after 3 trips. I saw that those who did catch anything were able to cast their lures super far (if you're familiar with the place, they can throw it up to the edge of the fishing area/buoy from shore), while I can only manage at most halfway.

I spoke to someone there, and he said my setup was too "heavy", and tried his setup and found that his rod was super light and flexible. I'm wondering if anyone can give tips on how I can improve my setup to cast far enough?

I'm using:
Rod - Amber Jack AJS-662 Length 6'6" Action: 8-17lb
Reel - UL2000 RD 4+1
Line - 0.4mm 9.5kg/20lbs
20g weight
peacock bass surface lure

Is it just rod I'm missing out on? I realise mine isn't as flexible. If so, what's a good one at a reasonable price?
  • Luke Maow Bear
    It's your line. Drop it to 8lbs or 10lbs. (I would go 6lbs with your setup or even 4lbs
  • francyap
    Yes agreed on lighter line
  • jayaxel
    oh interesting. i'd never guess the line would be such a huge factor. so the rest of the setup is ok? i'm a bit concerned with the (lack of) flexibility in my rod tho. should I be?
  • Michael Lim
    You can try a lighter class rod and see how it matches with the lighter line too.