FisherboiFK
Not a pro, just writing for fun since my friend suggested. Hope this helps anyone struggling to catch a certain species or interested in trying new style. Any question or suggestion can just shoot so we can learn from each other. Thanks for viewing and I wish all of you tight lines and screaming reels :)
  • FisherboiFK

Species: Peacock bass, 3.5kg
    Condition: Sunny and windy with murky water. Late morning
    Bait: 2 inch pink rubber with 3.5g jighead 
    Tackle: 2-6lb rod with 3000 spinning reel

First thing when u target this fish...they are piscivores, meaning they eat mostly fish, that’s why I chose a lure that imitates small forage usually found in the area. Colour wise chose pink cos of stained water, makes it stand out more and used a relatively heavy jighead to maintain contact with bottom. At these Rocky areas, idea is to work the rubber on the bottom cos that’s usually the column where they like to hang around. Lightly flick the rubber to make it hop on the bottom(so far one of the preferred method of retrieve they like) and crank in slack line as the rubber falls. When u hit a decent and above sized fish (3kg and above), u will feel like u kenna snag. Unlike smallies they don’t take off immediately and it takes a few Sec for the fish to “wake up” especially if u playing light tackle like I did. Take your time to play the fish, no need to play high drag unless absolutely necessary as these fish have the thin mouth extension and you can tear the mouth causing the hook to fall out. Goes without saying when using small lures to avoid snapping the line or opening hooks. Tire them before landing as they get very desperate near the bank when they see you and will make last ditch resorts to break u off. Mai kanchiong, slowly coax him in when tired before landing to avoid losing sleep at night. Make sure to revive properly before releasing after an extended fight and don’t keep them out of the water too long. I would suggest reviving the fish directly after landing before taking photo and measurements. 
  • FisherboiFK
    edited March 10

species: striped snakehead (Haruan), <1kg loner
    condition: typhoon cat winds, heavy cover, sun setting
    bait: 3 inch weed less rigged rubber
    tackle: 6-15lb rod with 3000 reel

Snakeheads need to surface to breathe air every few minutes, which is why seasoned snakehead anglers look for signs of surfacing. However, some other species like clown knife, terrapins, gourami and tilapia will also surface so you need to observe carefully whether is snakehead or not. Spotted this guy mouth breaking the surface inside an opening in heavy weeds and casted past the rise before commencing retrieve. This is the standard method of sight casting rising snakehead where u spot the rise and make a fast cast to it. The key here is speed and accuracy. Ideally you want the lure to reach the fish within about 2 Sec before the fish turn around and dive back down. Try not to cast directly at the fish as the lure landing too near to it may spook the fish (if u lucky maybe goalkeeper but rare lah) but instead cast beyond the dish by 1-2m before starting your retrieve. In this case I did a fast constant retrieve to keep the lure directly under the surface (not sure why but snakes seem to prefer a constant speed retrieve based on past encounters). After a few missed hits finally managed to connect firmly on the 4th try. Snakeheads lunge and chomp down on their prey unlike other fish like peacocks which suck using vacuum action and have smaller mouths so they tend to miss q a bit but keep casting. Crank until the line is tight and you feel the weight before giving 2-3 solid sets on moderate to high drag to firmly secure the hook in the bony head before yanking it out of cover. Do not waste time and let the fish run unless necessary as they will head straight for sunken timber or weeds and bury themselves deep in, which may cause your line to burst or give the chance for the fish to shake the hook, leaving u stuck and reel back a salad instead of sashimi. When landing they tend to be very stubborn and will lock their jaws shut. My advice is to use classic metal grip (boga) instead of plastic grip as it is easier to land these fish. Just be more gentle with the fish and avoid harmful angles to prevent their jaw from tearing. There is a chance that they will deep throat the lure and it can be quite hard to remove and Long nose pliers will come in handy. They are quite hardy fish and can last out of water but remember to revive properly to prevent them from drowning as they may be stuck in the weeds when released and do not have enough energy to swim back up to gulp air. 

PS remember to check your lure and leader after landing these toothy fish as their sharp teeth can easily damage your line or lure 

• FisherboiFK

Species: Golden snapper/ack/fingermark, 700g
    Condition: late night paypond
    bait: live prawn with split shot
    tackle: 8-20lb rod and 2000 spinning reel

TBH I’m not really sure about the exact species as they all look damn similar and people call a lot of funny names. They have the iconic black spot on their upper back close to the tail. But somehow whenever I playing saltwater seem to have good fate with this fish. Be it pond or offshore I seem to land at least 1 of these fellas per trip. Anyways, they belong to the snapper family and are a common fish found in local waters. They tend to hang around structure like rocks and wrecks if you’re on a boat or pumps and nets if you’re in a pond. They usually stick near the bottom so it’s a good idea to use a sinker to present the bait at the bottom or a float with long leader (pond only) depending on pond depth. This one you need to have some knowledge of the pond, check with the Operators or the regulars on how long your float to hook length should be but a default would be about 1-1.5m. For boat standard Bottom rigs like Apollo worked for me during day trips. Smaller size tend to peck at the pait so I prefer to set only when they take off with the bait. They don’t jump so no need to worry about losing the fish when it does some corkscrew backflip shit that kbl does. Able to use moderate to high drags with these guys as they have hard and tough mouths that don’t tear easily. They put up a decent fight and like to swim into structure so don’t be afraid to put some heat on them when fighting. Typical sizes range anywhere from 400g up to 4kg