Making Fishing Safe for Everyone not just the Fishos

Dewdrops
edited February 17 in General Fishing
Hi Everyone,

I feel compelled to write this as last week, for some coincidental reason, I came across two anglers who had their exposed rods in hand with the lure in treble hooks secured on the rod guides walking into public spaces.

One was in NTUC Extra in Kallang in the evening where the crowds were coming in and this fisho was also busy looking at his phone while walking inside and another was taking the MRT (City Hall) and walking into the train almost near peak hour.

I am all for fishing and have been fishing for more than 30 years and have seen some not so nice injuries to innocent passers-by even pets.  I would just like to appeal to Fishos here to exercise care when walking around with rods with hooks exposed in public areas.

It may seem harmless enough until a child or a person bumps into you accidentally and you may find removing the hooks harder than you think.  Even more so if it injures a vital part of a child's face like the eyes.

Can we encourage safe, responsible fishing in this manner too aside from how we encourage cleaning up after fishing and not leaving hooks lying around in fishing areas.

Walk around with your rods by all means but please make it a point to keep your lures and hooks while walking in a public space.  In the same way, you would not be walking around in a public space with an exposed blade or penknife.

Enjoy the fishing and tight lines.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    You are 100% accurate about what you are saying, in short, you are protecting the anglers and the hobby for any accidents from happening. You're a good guy looking out for us.

The young anglers are a nice bunch, if they read this, they will be sure to be more careful, I will put something on Instagram where they are most accessible.

Champ.
  • Dewdrops
    You are 100% accurate about what you are saying, in short, you are protecting the anglers and the hobby for any accidents from happening. You're a good guy looking out for us.

The young anglers are a nice bunch, if they read this, they will be sure to be more careful, I will put something on Instagram where they are most accessible.

Champ.
    ​Thanks for the support Luke.  I am sure most fishos are a great bunch and just aim to bring some awareness to this cos sometimes it may not cross our minds.

Safe fishing everyone.