What rod to get? Want to get this started as a father/boy bonding activity.

lszomb
Hello everyone. Happy new year.

Singapore is a good place to fish, at least as a recreative activity. My 8 year's boy was asking me to go out and specifically he wants to try fishing together with me as he always see people enjoying catch & release in NParks.

I have almost zero experience about modern fishing. I have done lake or pond fishing with super long rod with no reel many many years ago targeting for 2-3kg carp.

Here is the information I can provide:
Location: Most likely, we will start with pond or jetty fishing first (I knew they are quit different). the easiest place for me to go is Labrador park but not limit to that. We will consider boat fishing later if we feel we really enjoy it.

What to catch: anything depending on location. However, I think for a 8 years, catching something is more important than catch "that" thing. So from squid to small size fish, anything that can help him to setup the interest will be the good.

Budget: I will not invest a lot as interest can move away and this will be the first try. So I would say not more than 500SGD to start with. I remembered spent about 50SGD on something starter set for cat fish and trashed after 3-4 trips.  

What I need: some recommendation or maybe a shop I can go for to get everything. Rod/Reel/Line/Hook/Bait

More important, want to get some tips about how to start. Where to go and how to match the equipment to get the job done.

I knew I asked a lot. Please feel free to point me a direction that allows me to learn.

Thanks! 

• SportAngler
    I suggest you look up www.mffa.com.sg
    Fishing is more complicated then just a rod, reel and catching a fish.
  • CrossX
    Hi, pm me to get my number, I’m no expert fisherman but I’ll try to get kick start you and your son’s interest the best I can. 
  • lszomb
    edited January 13
    I felt I should write a follow up or report to close this.

After started my thread I received a few PMs from fellow anglers here. Thanks you all so much!!!!
    I did some homework for two nights and went to beach road on 9th and brought two set of tackle:
    1) Daiwa Corssfire-x 602MS-XD with fireline 6lb on Daiwa Legalis LX2000D-XH reel
    2) Eupro Fortune 702M with Daiwan J-Braid 20lb on Daiwa LEXA IM LT4000D-CXH reel

Rigs: Sabiki #4, Apollo #1/#2, 5g/10g jighead with two types of soft plastics, 20lb shockleader for 6ft rod. 1/2-3Oz sinker
    Others: Versus vs-7055 tackle box to fit everything

On 11th Saturday, I went to Labrador park to test the set and they are working just fine.

On 12th Sunday, I brought my boy to Labrador park for the first onshore fishing journey. 

Firstly, I put on 5g jighead and get my boy learn how to cast with 6ft. After that switch to Sabiki for fun. He later can cast Sabiki with 1/2oz sinker overhead with zero problem. I cast the 7ft with #1 Apollo rig with 2oz sinker just for trying the luck. Since I do not know how to cast too, I can only reach about 10 to 25 meters at most.

However, for two days, we hit about 10 fish and were able to land 7 of them in total. My boy was able to get two fish on his own with Sabiki, including one adult palm size scad!

Two fantastic fish we got during last weekend:

I have to say that was fantastic for newbie want to learn how to fish. 

Thanks everyone who helped on get this mission done. 

I guess the next step is getting a cooler box, an mobile air stone and keep fishing. I have some idea about using cable car or float rig for bigger catch. And the regular anglers at Labrador Park also taught me a lot. Everyone is super friendly.  Thanks and tight line everyone!
  • Royfishing
    hi, just so you know, that is not a scad. may I know what part of the jetty you were fishing at, and did you put any bait on the sabiki? Every time i go, no catch
  • Royfishing
    it is a ang ko li
  • panglim
    Congratulations Iszomb! Beautiful fish....and those are nice reels too.
    How about trying a freshwater adventure?

• lszomb
    hi, just so you know, that is not a scad. may I know what part of the jetty you were fishing at, and did you put any bait on the sabiki? Every time i go, no catch
    ​Hi Roy, I did not tell clearly. You are right for the fish on the photo. I did not post scad photo as I only take one picture with my boy.

For the location, I was fishing at west end point of Labrador Park, that is jetty. I use prawn meat I got from wet market in the morning as bait. 

If use Sabiki alone, hard to get bite. If use bait, a lot of puffer fish are around that area. I was just trying my luck.

• lszomb
    panglim said:
    Congratulations Iszomb! Beautiful fish....and those are nice reels too.
    How about trying a freshwater adventure?

​Hi Mr Pang, thanks a lot!!!  I will definitely give it a try one day..