Is it possible to effectively fish Stickbaits or Swimbaits with a stiff popping/chugger rod?

ShadowCaster
So if I have a stiff popping/chugging rod like the FCL 80Extreme, is there any technique that I can acquire to effectively fish Stickbaits and Swimbaits with it without having to buy another rod?  I've heard arguments on both sides, and the ones arguing that I need a new rods tends to be tackle shop owners! :smiley: 

Please share your views, especially those who frequently and successfully fish Stickbaits with chugger rods.

Thanks in advance!  
  • Strider
    haha hi again. I am definitely no popping expert.
    but i think u should be able to. just reel and the swim baits will do its job wiggling and swimming through the water. once a while tug it and the bait will dart.
    even gt bites when the swimbait is still. in maldives u can see them darting about and when you pause, they hit it.  so ya i guess u can say swim baits can be used on stiff rod.
    now...the stiffness will affect the fishing feeling and your back. haha so i guess it comes to feel.
    but a soft rod will be on the other hand be harder to work a chugger that needs that splash effect on the water which requires more control i guess.
    anyway i may be wrong, so i leaving the popping expert to chime in.

so fun can experiment popping too.
  • Michael Lim
    As some would put it, there is no right or wrong way to do things.  But it might just make things more comfortable sometimes...  it's also a matter of preference occasionally when it comes to stiffness vs suppleness of fishing rods to make the different lures work.

And I would suggest that you try asking a fren who does have a Stickbait rod to let you try it side by side with your rod and see if you would feel that the difference does actually matter enough for you to invest in one.

Do beware that more times than not, a setup designed for the specific purpose will generally do exceptionally well and poison you badly.

LoL
  • sharkbait
    So if I have a stiff popping/chugging rod like the FCL 80Extreme, is there any technique that I can acquire to effectively fish Stickbaits and Swimbaits with it without having to buy another rod?  I've heard arguments on both sides, and the ones arguing that I need a new rods tends to be tackle shop owners! :smiley: 

Please share your views, especially those who frequently and successfully fish Stickbaits with chugger rods.

Thanks in advance!  

Yes. You can work stick bait on a popping rod.

Give more slack when sweeping or shorter your sweep stroke, the swimbait should be able to dive for short distance. But it will not be as beautiful as a delicate swimbait rod. Also the lure buoyancy affect the action of the swimbait. 

I cannot really advise through words. You really have to find time for practice at local reservoir. 

Hope this helps.