Wire Leader on Pintails for Tengirri : Does it really turn the fish off?

ShadowCaster
edited November 2 in Luring & Artificial

I usually like to rig a 5cm-8cm length of single strand wire on my Pintails when casting for Tengirri to prevent bite-off. (See attached photo, top rigged with wire, bottom rig without) Some Rompin boat Captains think nothing of it, while other boat Captains think the Tengirri would not come with a 100meters of my wire leader. 
 o

What is your experience?  Does the wire leader turn fishes off?  Do you rig your pintails with wire leader?  

Thanks in advance

• Strider
    Hmm..... i had success with both and yes have heard both arguments.

when the hit is strong, the lok chiak type, it really does not matter. one in and one out. wire, no wire.

even when we put balloons, we get hit on both.

even my friend jigging on a jig with wires gets hits.

but there are captains who use non wire and get a lot of hits consistently and it seems more than wire that they feel its better. they said it swims better, and hence gets more hits but they also said more bite offs.

so looking at that, wire, fluoro both will get. its just whether the fish is picky or not and the greater probability of strikes when they are picky. 

On the other hand, it is also a question of whether one can afford bite offs. after a few bite offs, the fisherman tend to chicken out and change to wire. others start with it first so to preserve their pintails/duo lures etc. for captains, maybe their supply is cheaper or they use the fisherman's so...... maybe it does not matter too much on this front, but it matters to show they are catching.  so maybe on this front, there is a belief still non wire is better.

but if u ask me after fishing, and when things are more rational,my thoughts, the biggest winner in this is still usually the tackle shop wire or unwired. they are the ones making....haha.

A further another thought, wires too thick/too thin will break. have seen it break whilst trying to use the same wire over many fish, have seen it break when the rod is on the holder and the boat moves and the pintail/duo rattles and the wire gets bent and flex  thousand times. so that said, there is that too that the captain doesnt say but knows, so they use whatever they use.

so i guess we are back to square one. both works. maybe try with a friend on wire and one without and see who is getting consistently better hits on a non lok chiak day.

i usually use a thin wire cos its still the cheaper of the two and i hope for a lok chiak day.

• ShadowCaster
    Thanks Strider for your insights.  What you said was vindicated during my trip to Pulau Sibu yesterday.  I cast all morning with a short 8cm length of titanium cable and only got Todaks and small Queenfish, no Tengirri. I removed the wire in the afternoon and got bitten off just above the split ring swivel within an hour's casting.  After contributing 2 pintails to the sea, I chickened out and added a 5cm cable, which resulted in no more bites for the rest of the day.  :/   To qualify, yesterday was a very slow day, so on hindsight, to get more bites I would have to take more risk with my pintails by fishing without cable from the start.  But on a hot bite day like what Strider described above, I can probably afford to include that trusty 5-8cm cable for security.  

As to why the bite rate decreases with cable, I suspect the reason is more because of the visual signature of the cable instead  the fact that the cable affects the swimming action.  Yesterday, I was using knot-table Titanium Nickel cable that is just as soft and pliable as mono or Fluorocarbon, except that it is black in colour. As such, I think the adverse effects of the cable on the lure swimming action is minimal, but the visual signature is rather obvious as compared to Fluorocarbon.  If only they make transparent cables.  :D
  • Strider
    haha...good try tho.

Were your friends getting tengirri without wire whilst you were getting queenfish and todaks on wire?

if not, maybe tengirri not biting yet and your bust off maybe the other tooth gang fish? like barra etc.

yea, on a lok chiak day, no time to get bust off. need to get the fish whilst its hot.

keep trying. Dont give up yet!
  • ShadowCaster
    Strider said:
    haha...good try tho.

Were your friends getting tengirri without wire whilst you were getting queenfish and todaks on wire?

if not, maybe tengirri not biting yet and your bust off maybe the other tooth gang fish? like barra etc.

yea, on a lok chiak day, no time to get bust off. need to get the fish whilst its hot.

keep trying. Dont give up yet!
    ​The other kakis on the boat were busy catching Ang Gao on bait while the lone silly experimenter was casting pintail all day.   :D

I guess my next game plan is to start out without cable, and if it turns out to be one of those "lok chiak" day then I'll add the cable on the re-rigging. The next experiment would probably have to be next year Feb/Mar as the wind had turned Northerly and I suspect the Monsoon is upon us already...
  • Strider
    haha at least got ang gao. by the way pin tail can catch ang gao too. just let it sink more. caught ang gao on these.

keep us updated. thanks.
  • The Drifters
    like to know how many lbs is your wire ? at some place too thick the tenggeri fish wont bite
  • ShadowCaster
    like to know how many lbs is your wire ? at some place too thick the tenggeri fish wont bite
    ​I was using 2 types, 

First was 25lb Titanium Nickle single strand wire, about 5-8cm, knotted to the swivel/split-ring  and Albright to the FC leader
    https://aquateko.com/products/knot-2-kinky-single-strand-nickel-titanium-leader-wire

Second was 27lb AFW single strand steel wire, also about 5-8cm, haywire twist to the swivel/split-ring and Albright to the FC leader
    http://www.afwfishing.com/afw_products/S02C-0.asp

Not sure if I should go any thinner?  This calls for another experiment... :D
  • Michael Lim
    Single strand ones should be ok...  The fishes might not even be biting then.
  • The Drifters
    ​I was using 2 types, 

First was 25lb Titanium Nickle single strand wire, about 5-8cm, knotted to the swivel/split-ring  and Albright to the FC leader
    https://aquateko.com/products/knot-2-kinky-single-strand-nickel-titanium-leader-wire

Second was 27lb AFW single strand steel wire, also about 5-8cm, haywire twist to the swivel/split-ring and Albright to the FC leader
    http://www.afwfishing.com/afw_products/S02C-0.asp

Not sure if I should go any thinner?  This calls for another experiment... :D
    ​No need buy branded wires, a 20lbs single or multi strand can do the job. Seahawk brand wires a few dollars only can be found at local shops

• Strider
    yea, i use 15lb even. haha yes experiment.