Conventional reel without levelwind - how difficult it is to handle?

pckidz
I am thinking of making a switch to conventional reel (Shimano 1001HG) for jigging. I have slight problem on my thumb - so checking whether reeling in would be difficult to handle. I read somewhere that braid does not need a lot of 'guiding' while reeling in.

Any advise / comment appreciated. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    edited April 24
    I went to a Ocea Jigger, and kinda not liked it because of 1. the handle length and 2. the height of the round reel (I liked low profile better). I have not got down to it but I will be changing the handle to a conventional BC handle if I can and I am sure I will love it.

With that said, the longer handle on the Jigging Reels is very comfortable for heavier jigs, like 150 Grams and above. But for smaller work I find a good BC. 

For Jigs 60 Grams and below I go with a spinning.

The braid does not need much line laying bro, it's easy enough.

Borrow someones reel and test it in my opinion.

LMB

• pckidz
    I went to a Ocea Jigger, and kinda not like it. I have not got down to it but I will be changing the handle to a conventional BC handle if I can.

With that said, the longer handle on the Jigging Reels is very comfortable for heavier jigs, like 150 Grams and above. But for smaller work I find a good BC. 

LMB

​Thanks Luke - about responding to my core question. Very helpful. 

Does the level winder in BC affect the way the jig falls? Also noted your advise for below 60 gms use of spinning - I dont have a jigging rod for spinning - so that's a barrier. 

Is handle the only issue on your Ocea Jigger? 
  • SportAngler
    I jig witth an Overhead reel for jig above 200gm.
    It is much confortable using a OH reel for heavy jigging.
    You are only going to need your thump to guide the line in place so that the line will not lump on 1 side.
  • Devilzken
    edited April 24
    For bigger oh why they taken out the level wind I believe is during high drag tat is a choke point and often it broke due to it. For local light game levelwind is ok. Can look at ocea conquest if u like level wind
  • Luke Maow Bear
    pckidz said:
    I went to a Ocea Jigger, and kinda not like it. I have not got down to it but I will be changing the handle to a conventional BC handle if I can.

LMB

​Thanks Luke - about responding to my core question. Very helpful. 

Does the level winder in BC affect the way the jig falls? Also noted your advise for below 60 gms use of spinning - I dont have a jigging rod for spinning - so that's a barrier. 

Is handle the only issue on your Ocea Jigger? 
    ​Yes, the handle is the only urk of mine. But that's because I generally don't like it and not because it is a bad design in any way; coupled with the height of the reel, I found I needed to use a slightly longer and more parabolic jigging rod for it, when I used a shorter and heavier jigging rod I was all over the place and it did not feel so good.
  • pckidz
    Thanks to SportAngler and devilzken for responses. Special thanks to Luke for clearing the air on BC vs OH advantages. I think for southern waters, I will keep using the BC I have!
  • Mick B
    I use a Alutecnos Gorrilla for jigging and bait fishing without any line lay problems using PE4 8X braid. 
    This reel and spool is so well designed I have never looked at the line lay since the first 1/2 hour I used it.
    Ive tried the reel on various rods, Shim, Daiwa and a few Ive made myself without a hitch.