Bottom fishing leader for rocky terrain

noobla
Hi guys

Will be going on a local bottom fishing trip to changi this month. A friend went with this boatman before and he said he lost 10 rigs due to snags. 

So I'm wondering if a thicker leader will help me pry my rigs out. I'm using 15-20lb braided and just bought 30lb fc leader and 30lb dupont for the rigs. 

Will the 30lb leader help or do I need to go thicker? Also if thicker, how thick?
  • Melvin Lee
    If its rocky, you will need to learn how to feel whats rock and whats fish. The thicker the leader will only get you a bunch of headache example pulling it out of snag and at times fish will not want to bite something which is alot visible than a thinner line. For changi area unless targetting big groupers at wrecks, try to use anything below 30lb fc leaders.
  • noobla
    If its rocky, you will need to learn how to feel whats rock and whats fish. The thicker the leader will only get you a bunch of headache example pulling it out of snag and at times fish will not want to bite something which is alot visible than a thinner line. For changi area unless targetting big groupers at wrecks, try to use anything below 30lb fc leaders.
    ​I see! Thanks for the insight. Good thinking. Guess I'll just have to buy more sinkers haha
  • Luke Maow Bear
    ​This is the answer. It is all about feel.

The thing is an overhead reel (without a jigging handle) is very good, because the thumb bar allows for fast switching - alas that is dependent on how deep it is and how heavy the sinker is.

I have a OJ 1501 where I shorten the handle setting, so much better - unfortunately no thumb bar but I have learnt how to get around it. I rather my TranX 300 for a lot more applications when it comes to bouncing rocks up and down.
  • noobla
    Wow, this is something new. Sorry, as my username suggests, I am a newbie. 

My impression of bottom fishing is just drop sinker all the way to bottom and wait. 

Does this mean that I have to drop sinker, feel if it's rocky, and then adjust the place again if it is?
  • Melvin Lee
    From the boat, its advisable not to place your rod in the rod holder while waiting evening doing bottom fishing. You may drop to the bottom but crank up at least a meter from the bottom. Why? Unless you want to catch corals or rocks with your set up.
  • Staphylococcus
    Always hold the rod in hand. Don't let the sinker "drag" on the bottom. Once you feel the sinker hit bottom, crank reel up 1-2 times. Then just "bounce" it off the bottom. 

Dragging will 100% get snagged!
  • Limpeh
    Always hold the rod in hand. Don't let the sinker "drag" on the bottom. Once you feel the sinker hit bottom, crank reel up 1-2 times. Then just "bounce" it off the bottom. 

Dragging will 100% get snagged!
    Yup. Hold in hand. Don't expect to park whole day out at sea. Anyway parking will just make you sleepy... :D

Dun crank too much, fishes are at the bottom.
    Dun drag the bed, you end up tying more knots.

Feel the terrain, when it's rocky, you better be on your toes. Rocky isn't bad, groupers hiding there.
    Feel and learn the differences with hitting rocks, corals and hit by a fish. Then you won't keep striking everything that bends your rod a little, or strike too late thinking it's another rock.

Looking at the boat's sounder if boat is drifting. At times you're drifting to deeper bed and if you didn't know, you rig will be off the bed, need to release. Vice versa if up slope, be ready to crank and don't get snag.

• noobla
    Thanks guys so much. This is really good information as I never knew. Just started inshore fishing la after surf-ing for years. Appreciate the help guys thank you very much.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Anytime dude. Tell us how it goes.