Vanuatu Fishing!!!

Makaira
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
Hi guys,

Go watch the the full length fishing video. Fantastic action!!!

http://www.oceanblue.com.vu/index.cfm

Best regards,
Makaira
  • shineshy
    rite away !!! ..thks..downloading abit slow though... :D
  • ben107
    Nice video man... heh.. sure looks like hella fight!! :P
  • dtyr
    nice vid!!
    c'mon, give us more..... :lol:
  • Skid Row
    besides having a fat wallet and the right tackle, one must train up physically in terms of strength and stamina.

no point getting sore arms and backaches after being stressed out on the very first day and spend the remaining two days sitting at one corner drinking beer or become a photographer. worse is those who are tired but still gung ho and refuse acceptance of others' help to land the fish faster. such angler will waste precious time of others.

anyway, i think the producer censored away the part where the deckie hammered the wahoo's head.....
  • Makaira
    Skid Row" said:

anyway, i think the producer censored away the part where the deckie hammered the wahoo's head.....
    Hi,

Totally agree with your points about being fit for this kind of fishig.

As for the hammering the wahoo, we usually club them even before bringing them over the transom. With a set of razors for teeth, it can do serious damage to anglers & it has happened before from reports I seen; not to mention the flailing set of double hooks if the fish is still green.

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • D. Foo
    Don't recommend clubbing a wahoo or any other fish outside the boat. Too easy for something to go wrong and the fish to get knocked off the gaff. :oops: :evil: :cry: Put the fish in the boat first, then knock it out. For control, don't let the fish come off the gaff. For wahoo and spanish mackerel, knock them on the top of the head with a club a few times. This is the fastest way to knock them out. Always gaff wahoo in the head or as close to the head as possible for more control. The further back the gaff shot the more they can swing around on the gaff. Same goes for dorado. Dorado are normally more difficult to handle than wahoo at gaff because they kick around a lot more. Very dangerous if they are hooked on a two hook rig.
  • Makaira
    D. Foo" said:
    Don't recommend clubbing a wahoo or any other fish outside the boat. Too easy for something to go wrong and the fish to get knocked off the gaff.
    Hi Dustin,

Agree. But we are very careful & do it over the swim platform :wink: Rather lose the fish than get someone's achilles tendons cleanly sliced or a 10/0 stainless 7731/2 embedded on a body part :wink: Anyways, JP has trained his boys on this modus operandi & I think it is pretty wise IMHO :D

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • D. Foo
    Swim platform? That's even worse.. Fancy climbing onto a slippery rocking swim platform and sorting out a wahoo on the gaff in one hand and a club in the other hand? Sharing a narrow slippery piece of boat with a wahoo is a very good way to get that sliced achilles tendon or hook in some body part. Sure, each to his own, but unless you can keep your balance as well as an Olympic ice skater and have the agility of a gibbon... No thanks, not for me. I've had to run a cockpit by myself in the past and having gaffed wahoo up to 77 lbs they have taught me to have the anglers stand well back, get the fish in the boat and then sort it out from there.
  • Makaira
    D. Foo" said:
    Swim platform? That's even worse.. Fancy climbing onto a slippery rocking swim platform and sorting out a wahoo on the gaff in one hand and a club in the other hand? Sharing a narrow slippery piece of boat with a wahoo is a very good way to get that sliced achilles tendon or hook in some body part. Sure, each to his own, but unless you can keep your balance as well as an Olympic ice skater and have the agility of a gibbon... No thanks, not for me. I've had to run a cockpit by myself in the past and having gaffed wahoo up to 77 lbs they have taught me to have the anglers stand well back, get the fish in the boat and then sort it out from there.
    Hi Dustin,

Hahahahahaha!!! My god .... I meant leaning over the transom with the fish over the swim platform!!!!! Unless the sea conditions are mirror calm .. I wouldn't want to go on the platform to do anything either! :wink: Like you said, to each his own, but I sure wouldn't want a 77lb 'hoo in my cockpit unless I KNOW it is dead!!! :twisted:

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • Mike Goh
    D.Foo and Makaira,

You two are giants in the big game fishing, so glad you are both here to share with us your knowledges and experiences. Can i employed both of you as our Blue Water Advisers :wink: Sorry i got no money to pay you, a lunch or dinner is still within my mean :D :D
  • Makaira
    Mike Goh" said:
    D.Foo and Makaira,
    You two are giants in the big game fishing, so glad you are both here to share with us your knowledges and experiences. Can i employed both of you as our Blue Water Advisers :wink: Sorry i got no money to pay you, a lunch or dinner is still within my mean :D :D
    Hi Mike,

I am no giant of any kind :oops: Always willing to help out if I can. The disclaimer is that any advice should taken at "your own risk" :wink:

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • D. Foo
    Mike: I no longer working as crew and not on the water on daily basis, so my knowledge is no longer really up to date. Am happy to advise as best as I can though.

Makaira: I've never seen JP's crew in action so apologize for the misunderstanding. I have seen a lot of times though on W1 and W2 gaffing and billing fish is done from the swim platform, but the fish is still always knocked out in the boat.

BTW I now think it's crazy to try and wire from the swim platform, but the last time I wired a marlin from the cockpit corner and brought it to the side of the boat they looked at me as though I had three heads... I guess it's the practice they have of pulling billfish into a boat for a photo before release. I guess it may be ok with sails, but to try it with a marlin that's still strong on the leader is very risky for the wireman and the captain has very little view of the leader and the fish. I bet a lot of good fish have been cut off on the boat that way.

Actually that 77'er was easy at gaff since it was pooped after a 40 minute fight on 20 lb spin tackle. It was part of a triple header with the other fish being about 45 and 65 lbs.