Fishing Knots

larrychew
HI Expert fisho
There are so many methods being shown over Youtube on tying Main line to leader.... So can someone advise which is better - Bimbini Twist or FG . What are advantages and disadvantages... There are 2 strong advocates for these 2 types of knots... SO What is our local fisho advocating and whats work best in our waters in Msia and Spore > Can we have a show of hands -  the TWIST or FG ?
  • GreyL
    straight FG all the way man, it only failed me once because i didn't tie it correctly thats the downside is that if you didn't tie it properly the knot WILL definitely slip.
    For the twist if I'm not wrong(correct me if I'm), to connect your main line to the leader you have to tie the twist on your mainline which then there will be a loop which then you have to tie it to your leader.

• larrychew
    Hi GreyL 
    Thanks for the feedback and yes Bimbini Twist you need to tie the BT to the leader . FG only one step from Leader to Main line. Used to prefer BT but having trolled all the You tube on Fishing Knot matters, it seem that FG is more popular or rather the preferred knot 
  • GreyL
     tbh just use what you trust the most, for me ever since after shorecasting for grouper on full locked drag and deadlift them off rock breakers with no problem i was a strong believer in the FG
  • Michael Lim
    Used to do bimini twists and australian braids, mainly for mono lines and fused lines.  After the switch to braids, it was straight to FG knot and never had to look back...  the strength is fantastic and so much easier to tie, as there is only 1 knot compared to a double line then either to a albright or other joining knots which increase bulk too.

The trick with FG is applying tension to the knot once you done the first half hitch to lock down the initial wraps.  Once that is done, it is strong and will not slip...
  • larrychew
    Hi Michael 
    My challenge is do a reliable and FG do not slip after that..Hell, I got 3 out of 5 times right ... Need a lot of practice to ensure that I can confident go to the sea and not lose a fish becos my FG knot was not done properly 
    I am spending my spare time practicing it until I get a 10/10 b4 I head out to sea. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I do a version of this, mine is different but the idea is the same. 

• ayeosq
    larrychew said:
    Hi Michael 
    My challenge is do a reliable and FG do not slip after that..Hell, I got 3 out of 5 times right ... Need a lot of practice to ensure that I can confident go to the sea and not lose a fish becos my FG knot was not done properly 
    I am spending my spare time practicing it until I get a 10/10 b4 I head out to sea. 
    ​Wear a glove and test your knot before your trip? Did you pull to let the braid cut into your FC?
  • Michael Lim
    Yes...  careful with your fingers...  Make sure the wraps bite into the leader for maximum strength...
  • ayeosq
    Yes...  careful with your fingers...  Make sure the wraps bite into the leader for maximum strength...
    ​Beginner common error
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Tie a knot that you can do in darkness and a boat bouncing all over the place when the bite is on. The FG knot personally is a poor knot in situations where speed is of the essence and well, darkness is only assisted by moon light - hehehe.
  • larrychew
    If rough seas and speed is of essence esply when there  are fish feeding frenzy , then I would do a bimini