Need advise for local waters equipment

yeoweekiang
Good day fellow anglers,

I've been dormant for sometime since my last fishing trip and i'm looking to come back to offshore fishing in local waters BUT i've sold my previous equipment. Previously was using a pe2-4 overhead with poseidon 200r jigg reel loaded with 40lb line.  

However, I am not well equipped with knowledge on the different setup and also the usage of tenya, madai. Kinda felt like i was a lost soul when i was doing the lift and drop which i honestly don't know whether it's the correct technique. Felt snags on the bottom but thought it was fish and HOOT! SANKOK follows... (anglers on board gave me the "looks") :(

Therefore I'm asking for help on the following;

1. Which setup should i get for day trips?
2. Should i replace stock hooks on madai/tenya?
3. What are the recommended line poundage?
4. Are there newer fishing trends on local water fishing? eg; new accessories 

Budget wise 500~. Thank you for your time reading this! 

• SteveW
    Nowadays so many different types of setup until I also blur, anyway, I even more budget constrain than you.

1. For day trips, those I went don't anchor, mostly drifting, so no point bottom, sure sangkok if leave unattended for a while
    2. Apollo rigs also okay, you can buy some tenya if you like bouncing at the bottom
    3. I setup up with 30lbs, but recent trips, I met anglers who load up with 60lbs, braided, so you can go back to 40lbs ba
    4. micro jig, anjing, slow jig, fast jig, all depends on what day trip team you join I guess, and what fish you are going for

My comeback is simple, now I have a un-brand rod (that can tahan 100-200g of sinker weight), got from carousell for SGD50. Then I have a Charter Special for SGD100 from carousell also. Load 30lb of braided for 35SGD. I go for langung for night fishing, tenya for day fishing, those trip that go for jigging for "white fish", I don't join. 

IF I save enough, I will buy a Ocea jigger 1501HG or a higher gear ratio reel, so reeling back wouldn't be such a pain especially when my weight goes up to 120-150g. Line I will load up a at least 50lb, so those snapper monster that takes your bait hopefully one fine night, you can land it. 

I bought some tenya when I just started, 40,60,80,100,120, I usually use 100-120, seriously the current just not so accommodating for those 40-80, can touch bottom but will fly kite most of the time. 100-120 or more, if you gear setup can take it. Since you are holding the setup most of the time, the heavier the setup, you more jialat, so go for something lighter within your budget. 

Cheers, and have fun.
  • yeoweekiang
    SteveW said:
    Nowadays so many different types of setup until I also blur, anyway, I even more budget constrain than you.

1. For day trips, those I went don't anchor, mostly drifting, so no point bottom, sure sangkok if leave unattended for a while
    2. Apollo rigs also okay, you can buy some tenya if you like bouncing at the bottom
    3. I setup up with 30lbs, but recent trips, I met anglers who load up with 60lbs, braided, so you can go back to 40lbs ba
    4. micro jig, anjing, slow jig, fast jig, all depends on what day trip team you join I guess, and what fish you are going for

My comeback is simple, now I have a un-brand rod (that can tahan 100-200g of sinker weight), got from carousell for SGD50. Then I have a Charter Special for SGD100 from carousell also. Load 30lb of braided for 35SGD. I go for langung for night fishing, tenya for day fishing, those trip that go for jigging for "white fish", I don't join. 

IF I save enough, I will buy a Ocea jigger 1501HG or a higher gear ratio reel, so reeling back wouldn't be such a pain especially when my weight goes up to 120-150g. Line I will load up a at least 50lb, so those snapper monster that takes your bait hopefully one fine night, you can land it. 

I bought some tenya when I just started, 40,60,80,100,120, I usually use 100-120, seriously the current just not so accommodating for those 40-80, can touch bottom but will fly kite most of the time. 100-120 or more, if you gear setup can take it. Since you are holding the setup most of the time, the heavier the setup, you more jialat, so go for something lighter within your budget. 

Cheers, and have fun.
    ​Thanks for sharing your insight bro! I've tried the ocea jigger reel you mentioned and its really really good at reducing the load for you when cranking up size 16 - 20 sinkers with a fish at the end of the line! Then how do we choose a "Lighter" setup? Smaller reel? PE rating 1-2 rod? line poundage lower ? 
  • SteveW
    edited January 3
    "Lighter" setup for what type of fish. If you forget about bottom, you can pair a "Light" setup for slow jig, or fast jig. Setup I can't advise you because I also don't have, ha ha. Mine is economical fishing, I go for tablesize fish, grouper, snapper, stingray, bigger better... so I go fishing to learn, sametime can bring some fish back for family to enjoy for the effort (I mean, we spend 80-110 per trip, go market can buy alot of good fish as compare liao lor). Not sure if you can jig those monster in Singapore Water, but from most of the CR, I find it tough lor.

But if you watch those youtube videos on the hearty-rise slow jig rod, those places they go, and the fishes they pump, shiok. But what you probably didn't see is they may have been jigging for sometime before it strikes. Another youtube video teaching about slow jig and types of slow jig, method, etc.. also quite informative, I observe his partner have been jigging and jigging before kena. So I guess "light" means overall weight of the rod+reel is important, if you are going for that type of fishing method, since you have to jig and jig. For me, my setup for night, we anchor, and I parked there with langung, for day, when they drift, I use tenya bouncing at the bottom, as compared to jigging, probably less effort ba, slowly lar, just come back fishing, cannot experience them all one lar, must have fun, fun means must try to kena a fish on the trip, and to kena a fish, the best chance is your bait must reach the bottom for my type of bottom fishing! Cheers
  • Staphylococcus
    Hi,
    Welcome back to fishing! 
    I think your old setup is actually a good choice for local waters. There's a lot of choice in the market regarding tackle, from branded to cheap, which will also catch fish. So find something your wallet will agree on.

Fishing location and boat - Sg fishing areas are sort of limited. Either Changi/Tekong, Eastern Anchorage(in front of ECP), Southern islands or Tuas area. Most if not all do drifting. The currents in the Southern islands tend to be stronger compared to the rest. Also how deep you are fishing. All these factors will determine how heavy your sinkers/jigs have to be on that day. When drifting, you need to keep your sinker/jig close to the bottom but not dragging. That's the key to prevent snagging. Lift/drop/touch seabed/lift again. Keep the rig abt 1m from seabed.

Baiting - most boats use live prawn on Apollo rigs. Very easy to setup and effective. 

Madai/Tenya - used when currents are slightly lighter or shallower water (<15m). Some add prawns to the hooks on Madai. Madai hooks are small but will still hook fish so I don't replace the stock hooks. Trick is to reel in constantly and NOT pump and reel.

Jigging - Can be a fun way to catch fish but need lighter rods with stronger backbone. Thinner line for lesser water resistance. Thousands of jigs out there, just need to find those that mimic a common baitfish in the area. 

More info at http://glensfishingadventures.blogspot.com/

Good luck in your fishing!
  • yeoweekiang
    SteveW said:
    "Lighter" setup for what type of fish. If you forget about bottom, you can pair a "Light" setup for slow jig, or fast jig. Setup I can't advise you because I also don't have, ha ha. Mine is economical fishing, I go for tablesize fish, grouper, snapper, stingray, bigger better... so I go fishing to learn, sametime can bring some fish back for family to enjoy for the effort (I mean, we spend 80-110 per trip, go market can buy alot of good fish as compare liao lor). Not sure if you can jig those monster in Singapore Water, but from most of the CR, I find it tough lor.

But if you watch those youtube videos on the hearty-rise slow jig rod, those places they go, and the fishes they pump, shiok. But what you probably didn't see is they may have been jigging for sometime before it strikes. Another youtube video teaching about slow jig and types of slow jig, method, etc.. also quite informative, I observe his partner have been jigging and jigging before kena. So I guess "light" means overall weight of the rod+reel is important, if you are going for that type of fishing method, since you have to jig and jig. For me, my setup for night, we anchor, and I parked there with langung, for day, when they drift, I use tenya bouncing at the bottom, as compared to jigging, probably less effort ba, slowly lar, just come back fishing, cannot experience them all one lar, must have fun, fun means must try to kena a fish on the trip, and to kena a fish, the best chance is your bait must reach the bottom for my type of bottom fishing! Cheers
    ​Thank you steve for sharing your experience! I agree on having fun and try to bring back 1 fish! i can still remember the thrill back then when there was a "Kaci" on the end of my line very fun hahahah 
  • yeoweekiang
    Hi,
    Welcome back to fishing! 
    I think your old setup is actually a good choice for local waters. There's a lot of choice in the market regarding tackle, from branded to cheap, which will also catch fish. So find something your wallet will agree on.

Fishing location and boat - Sg fishing areas are sort of limited. Either Changi/Tekong, Eastern Anchorage(in front of ECP), Southern islands or Tuas area. Most if not all do drifting. The currents in the Southern islands tend to be stronger compared to the rest. Also how deep you are fishing. All these factors will determine how heavy your sinkers/jigs have to be on that day. When drifting, you need to keep your sinker/jig close to the bottom but not dragging. That's the key to prevent snagging. Lift/drop/touch seabed/lift again. Keep the rig abt 1m from seabed.

Baiting - most boats use live prawn on Apollo rigs. Very easy to setup and effective. 

Madai/Tenya - used when currents are slightly lighter or shallower water (<15m). Some add prawns to the hooks on Madai. Madai hooks are small but will still hook fish so I don't replace the stock hooks. Trick is to reel in constantly and NOT pump and reel.

Jigging - Can be a fun way to catch fish but need lighter rods with stronger backbone. Thinner line for lesser water resistance. Thousands of jigs out there, just need to find those that mimic a common baitfish in the area. 

More info at http://glensfishingadventures.blogspot.com/

Good luck in your fishing!
    ​Thank you staphy! Noted on how to correctly "pump the fishing up" part! Will check out the link you shared! thanks!
  • noobla
    I went on my first tenya trip last year and to be honest, it was difficult to sense/feel bottom even with a PE 1 - 2.5 rod. I then switched to a tenya rod and it was heaven.

But I've seen people tenya with jigging rods and they do it fine as well. Plus, tenya rods are quite ex and the price doesn't justify it's only one use. That said, if money isn't a problem, it is really very syiok to use.
  • ayeosq
    noobla said:
    I went on my first tenya trip last year and to be honest, it was difficult to sense/feel bottom even with a PE 1 - 2.5 rod. I then switched to a tenya rod and it was heaven.

But I've seen people tenya with jigging rods and they do it fine as well. Plus, tenya rods are quite ex and the price doesn't justify it's only one use. That said, if money isn't a problem, it is really very syiok to use.
    ​what rod is consider a tenya rod?
  • Luke Maow Bear
    ayeosq said:
    noobla said:

​Depends on what size Tenya you use, in "most" cases you can use a slow fall rod - due to the ability to impart the action to the tenya and feel what is happening around it.
  • ayeosq
    ayeosq said:
    noobla said:

​Depends on what size Tenya you use, in "most" cases you can use a slow fall rod - due to the ability to impart the action to the tenya and feel what is happening around it.
    ​oh, i thought there is actually a tenya rod...
  • Limpeh
    There are actually rods made for tenya application. Check fishingbuddy site.
  • Michael Lim
    There are...  note that there are Tenya spin rods and also Tai rubber overhead rods.  They are slightly different and cater to different weight ranges.  The tenya spin rods that I have are imported in as no one dares to carry any to sell locally so far.  The only ones I see in the shops are Tai rubber overhead rods.
  • Melvin Lee
    edited January 31
    I got to admit experience does plays a vital role in fishing especially when fishing with artificial lures. However any beginner can easily pick up the ropes if there are determination. The problem is who or where can i get these info? Fishing like most hobbies example golf, swimming, sailing do have a beginner learning session but are those ample? I guess the answer would be no. Lessons are given as a guide mostly so are videos from youtube not to mention most of these trying very hard to promote their products (you would not want to promote you product demonstration in a situation where its opposite benefit). My advice to you is grab any rod and any reel you can afford and just join any trip there are within your personal strength limitations. Observe what others are doing. <- these are the best teachers any money can pays for.

It does not mean you buy a branded rod/branded reel or some rod/reel you see in some product demo which catches fish will suit you. You may not need those. The sensational feel is the objective you need to achieve when doing artificial fishing. Some individuals can adopt that in a day or an hour, some took months or years. Determination and full of hope will lead your hobby to greater success. When you have the feeling skill, thats when you will already know what kind of gear or rods you will need. Start with bait fishing, try to learn as much as you can when doing bait fishing. At some point of time, you should be able to observe why some fish only hit certain bait and why some does not, and when you feel that its not challenging enough when using bait, thats the time you start putting your baiting knowledge into choosing the right kind of artificial you should go in. All artificial are created base on mimicking baits. Now the part where the sensational feel comes to play. Why? Artificial are usually a piece or plastic or lead, how does one make something that rigid mimick a bait? Here you will have more questions floating and thats the time youtube videos come in handy. Learn the various twitching method of the rod, the slow or fast cranks of the reel, the type of lines to use and of cos your feeling touch which you have gained through your baiting fishing experiences.

Probably when you have achieve success in your artificial fishing journey, you can then share all your secrets. This forum started with a group of anglers similar to you and me whom once got lost in fishing but wants to achieve the challenge. Sharing is what makes fishing fun.

Good luck and tight lines.