What lb test line to put on baitcaster

Weedturtle
Im about to get my 1st baitcaster, shimano casitas and im not sure what lb braided line to put, i heard that baitcasters cant have thin line. I will use it in freshwater and i want it to cast as far as possible. I want to cast lures 7g to around 20g
  • Michael Lim
    Try loading 10 to 14lb braid for a start. 
  • SportAngler
    If you have never used a BC. For the 1st few trip use a mono line 12lbs.
    The aim is to practice your casting and get use of the reel. Mono is easier when you have backlash aka bee hoon.
    Once you are comfortable than decide what lbs of line you want to change to.
    Best to go with someone that is experience in bc.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Im about to get my 1st baitcaster, shimano casitas and im not sure what lb braided line to put, i heard that baitcasters cant have thin line. I will use it in freshwater and i want it to cast as far as possible. I want to cast lures 7g to around 20g
    ​7G to 20G is a wide footprint to cast with.

My suggestion is start with 12 Grams to 20 Grams - or start with 1/2 Oz to 1 Oz.

The thinner your like the more likely you are going to get in a mess - start with 30lb braid or what Michael and SportAngler said, go with 12 lbs of Mono. It will really help your initial experience.

Also, it always helps to have a longer rod at the start, like a 6'3 or 6'5 rod so it can load smoothly. Shorter rods tend to be faster tapered and if you don't keep up with it, it will move faster than you can react.

Good luck.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    For those who want to see it.