13-15 Nov the big green boat with horrible captain

skunk
Good catch or bad catch a lot depends on luck, moon phase and so on. Afterall, people pay almost $400 per pax to go on your boat, is to buy a fishing experience. If i really just wanted fish, $400 can buy a lot at the market.

1) Arrive late. Not 10 min late but 40 min late. Ok fine, sometimes things happen, i can understand. But if captain is good, already factor in contingency.

2) Leave early. This one cannot forgive. It's as good as cheating. 

3) Asked captain why leave so early? Reply is oh we will need 8 hours to get back. Knn Horsburg Lighthouse is just behind me. Swim ah? Btw we were supposed to reach SG at 5pm. That's 3 hours less fishing. Don't say 3 hours, even leave work 30 mins early is valid grounds for firing. 

4) Spots not producing, captain lazy to change spot. Only knows how to come down take kopi to drink and workout with dumbbell. Sibei muscle. Maybe wanna change job do MMA wor

5) Go unjam, park boat directly above it. Win already lor everybody lines down straightaway sangkot. I read somewhere this captain followed the boat owner many years ago, got a lot of experience. Maybe he tired of working liao wanna change job to professional coffee drinker with the bintan officials.

My first trip on this boat and likely last trip. People who know me from many years ago know I'm super crazy passionate about fishing. I'm just sad for the uncle owner that he will lose me as a customer because he hired a lousy captain. 

Thanks for reading my review. Cheers.
  • hussainsyed
    what is the name of the boat bro?
  • skunk
    what is the name of the boat bro?
    ​Sports Fishing Explorer
  • qoonutz
    seems like an increasing trend for SFE. oh well. suckers still queuing up for his boat.
  • skunk
    qoonutz said:
    seems like an increasing trend for SFE. oh well. suckers still queuing up for his boat.
    ​so I'm considered lucky since it's only my first trip and not going again.
  • hussainsyed
    Nowadays all boat captains are like kings. Customers or anglers cannot suggest or ask to change spots. Captains will show a disdain face and ignore such requests. This is very much unlike the good old days of the 80s or earlier where customers can ask to change spot and captains will comply. Today customers don't even dare to open their mouth. What a shame...
  • Michael Lim
    Some captains on the other hand want to see only a good catch report (good advertising) and keep stressing about using heavy tackle to ensure you land the fishes.  But some of us prefer to play with light tackle and not kill ourselves with the heavy weights required to get down to the fishes...

No wonder there are less and less ppl willing to fish locally on our charters these days.  Too many quirky charter captains and it's really ending up that the anglers are having to compromise to their patterns.
  • SteveW
    edited November 19
    I totally agreed to the 'patterns', returning to fishing after stopping 10 years or more, there are now really many patterns. For solo anglers like me joining other groups for a boat charter, I have to compromise to their patterns, if not my way will get into their way and ending up a spoiled fishing expedition. But when I ask for a slow jig set, cost me 700+ investment, ask for a boat rod set, another 400-500+ investment, light tackle another, so on, seriously, how to keep buying from scrap and continue to pay to learn, end up disappointing trip every time thinking something is wrong with your setup because others who are on the same charter got bites, and you gotten a BIG zero.

Thanks for the info, so I will not become another sucker in the queue wasting valuable time & money.
  • Melvin Lee
    Somehow i felt that anglers these days do not read tide table nor figure out which is the right time to go fishing especially offshore. Certain areas especially around indo waters where water clarity is almost 90% clearer than SG and MY do need strong current which makes the water slightly milky in order to getting a bite. Do check out apps like "windy" and "tides" for tide and currents (select the location nearest to where you likely fish). If you are not sure how to decipher tide table, you can post your queries in FK, i believe many will reply. Lets put cost of fishing aside for now. Many charters offers higher charges likely because of the level of comfort the boat offers. A good fishing trip offshore does not mean you need to fill your icebox, the process of getting the dream fish (must be available in the area you are fishing, dont ask for dogtooth tuna in changi...) hooked and fighting it with your trusted gear would be what most of us pays for. If luck isnt on your side (you can easily sees this if others are getting bites more than yourselves), try another time or take a break than try again.

• Melvin Lee
    SteveW said:
    I totally agreed to the 'patterns', returning to fishing after stopping 10 years or more, there are now really many patterns. For solo anglers like me joining other groups for a boat charter, I have to compromise to their patterns, if not my way will get into their way and ending up a spoiled fishing expedition. But when I ask for a slow jig set, cost me 700+ investment, ask for a boat rod set, another 400-500+ investment, light tackle another, so on, seriously, how to keep buying from scrap and continue to pay to learn, end up disappointing trip every time thinking something is wrong with your setup because others who are on the same charter got bites, and you gotten a BIG zero.

Thanks for the info, so I will not become another sucker in the queue wasting valuable time & money.
    ​You can book the charter on your own. I does that when my friends are busy and itchy to fish. You do not need branded gears to land fish. Fishing tackles are there to ease the load of the angler. Cheapo tackles does all that as well (rod 70 SGD + reel 60 SGD + lines 30 SGD + leader (FC) 20 SGD + Jig 3 - 6 SGD). Been using cheapo gears and still lands fish. However you need to note cheapo gears do have their own set of limitations. Play within your budget would be the best way to enjoy a fishing trip.
  • skunk
    Somehow i felt that anglers these days do not read tide table nor figure out which is the right time to go fishing especially offshore. Certain areas especially around indo waters where water clarity is almost 90% clearer than SG and MY do need strong current which makes the water slightly milky in order to getting a bite. Do check out apps like "windy" and "tides" for tide and currents (select the location nearest to where you likely fish). If you are not sure how to decipher tide table, you can post your queries in FK, i believe many will reply. Lets put cost of fishing aside for now. Many charters offers higher charges likely because of the level of comfort the boat offers. A good fishing trip offshore does not mean you need to fill your icebox, the process of getting the dream fish (must be available in the area you are fishing, dont ask for dogtooth tuna in changi...) hooked and fighting it with your trusted gear would be what most of us pays for. If luck isnt on your side (you can easily sees this if others are getting bites more than yourselves), try another time or take a break than try again.

​that's why i wrote as a disclaimer in my first paragraph, i was not upset about the poor catch.

It's the integrity of the captain that's questionable. 

I've been on trips where i was a zero fighter and still enjoyed myself and disembarked satisfied.
  • SteveW
    I wouldn't say I don't want a bite on my tackle in my boating adventure (we paid sufficient for one), but given that if we have all the preparation and didn't land the fish, so be it. Haven't no bites entire trip for the group, so be it. But when everyone got bites and you getting nothing for the whole trips, that's will prove you definitely on the wrong setup for a wrong area, unless you bring every contingency for every situations, you just going to suck thumbs watching the actions.

In defense, fish don't recognize whether it is a cheapo gear or branded gear, I am referring to the right gear for the type of fishing you joined. Example, if the charter and group is going for micro-jigging, and you joined and bring bottom fishing, so I learned now it is important for me to ask, if cannot match, save my impulse of joining a new group, disappointment and money, plus time.
  • larrychew
    In my humble opinion , Ahmad is the best fishing guide... He can be extremely selective and my son have been fishing with him since his secondary school days and over the years ( even after he came back from overseas for college) both of them continue to have that chemistry and bonding.. My son is a grown adult and he continues to fish him and no disappointment each time... 
  • Melvin Lee
    SteveW said:
    I wouldn't say I don't want a bite on my tackle in my boating adventure (we paid sufficient for one), but given that if we have all the preparation and didn't land the fish, so be it. Haven't no bites entire trip for the group, so be it. But when everyone got bites and you getting nothing for the whole trips, that's will prove you definitely on the wrong setup for a wrong area, unless you bring every contingency for every situations, you just going to suck thumbs watching the actions.

In defense, fish don't recognize whether it is a cheapo gear or branded gear, I am referring to the right gear for the type of fishing you joined. Example, if the charter and group is going for micro-jigging, and you joined and bring bottom fishing, so I learned now it is important for me to ask, if cannot match, save my impulse of joining a new group, disappointment and money, plus time.
    ​Yea, its very important to ask the group or charter you be joining or perhaps look at their past catch report to have a better understanding of what is their focus and expertise. Try to get your group of friends or perhaps family members to go on your own expedition. Through that it be alot more enjoyable.