What fishing rod? newbie fishing?

donnylafave
hi, id like to start fishing some local streams. ive heard an ugly stick is good starter pole, but theres like 50 different styles of ugly stick, different lengths, handles, lb test, etc.. very confusing to me. how do i find out which one i should choose?
Update: thanks for the great answers! im set on the SP1160-2M ugly stik. what reel should i get for $20-30? thanks!
  • larrychew
    Hi Fisho- I need guidance from the Gurus in this forum please... Due to a family member tragedy  I gave up fishing for more than 7yrs and you guess right all my fishing equipment and rods are perhaps obsolete or collectors' items already... I will retire by end of Dec 2018 and would now have plenty of time and so decided to go back fishing which is my 1st love since school days.. 
    I have been rummaging thru my fishing equipment and discovered that I possess the following : a) Shimano - Conquest 200, 1000F, Stella SW8000PG( This one I loved it as I have had many memories and landed numerous denizens of the deep ever) and Occea Jigger 1500PG , 2000NRPG(Still in a box - virgin condition) and for spinning - Diawa Certate HD3500 and 2500. So with all these inventory, I am at a complete loss - fishing rods technology have moved so fast that I struggle how to match my reels to suitable rods and I would need to re-equipment. With exception of  1st series of Blue Rod ( Made in Japan ) B536R & B571SS and I am not going to use them anymore. Your kind assistance would be appreciated. Budget is not an issue THANKS Larry Chew
  • Michael Lim
    hi, id like to start fishing some local streams. ive heard an ugly stick is good starter pole, but theres like 50 different styles of ugly stick, different lengths, handles, lb test, etc.. very confusing to me. how do i find out which one i should choose?
    Update: thanks for the great answers! im set on the SP1160-2M ugly stik. what reel should i get for $20-30? thanks!
    ​You can pop down to the tackle shops like 2000Tackle or Joes and take a look around.  But do be warned, that budget is pretty low...  $50 may be a better idea.
  • Michael Lim
    larrychew said:
    Hi Fisho- I need guidance from the Gurus in this forum please... Due to a family member tragedy  I gave up fishing for more than 7yrs and you guess right all my fishing equipment and rods are perhaps obsolete or collectors' items already... I will retire by end of Dec 2018 and would now have plenty of time and so decided to go back fishing which is my 1st love since school days.. 
    I have been rummaging thru my fishing equipment and discovered that I possess the following : a) Shimano - Conquest 200, 1000F, Stella SW8000PG( This one I loved it as I have had many memories and landed numerous denizens of the deep ever) and Occea Jigger 1500PG , 2000NRPG(Still in a box - virgin condition) and for spinning - Diawa Certate HD3500 and 2500. So with all these inventory, I am at a complete loss - fishing rods technology have moved so fast that I struggle how to match my reels to suitable rods and I would need to re-equipment. With exception of  1st series of Blue Rod ( Made in Japan ) B536R & B571SS and I am not going to use them anymore. Your kind assistance would be appreciated. Budget is not an issue THANKS Larry Chew
    ​First things first, think about which genre you intend to go with.

Then you have a better idea and chance of getting some advise from shops or other anglers about what to look for.
  • SteveW
    larrychew said:
    ​I am no gurus, but I also just got back into fishing a few months back after stopping for more than 10yrs. Although I gave up all my fishing things, but no way near what you still left behind. Personally now I have buy them back 2nd hand from carousell, kakis classified, etc... and I now have a set for ajing, pond and bottom. From your gear, I like to share you should consider pairing 1500PG,2000NRPG to a slow jig rod, there are many brands to the rods though, you could start from STORM, and pair up the different jigs to start out. You may pair up another heavier rod with HD3500 spinning for bottom fishing (that can tahan sinker/tenya up to 150g). Personally I find it will be a good way to start Singapore offshore day fishing, you have a bottom rod you can park for bottom fishing, while waiting, jig with your other rod. That is what I am saving for too, a 1501HG+Storm Slow Jig rod.

Cheers