Line change

Michael Lim
edited October 17 in General Fishing
How often do anglers change line?

Personally, I use lighter lines and as such these lines don't last as long.  Esp with UV, and wear and tear from constant casting or retrieving.

My lines under PE 2 would be changed from anything from a season (i.e. 3 months or so) up to about a year if I do not use the particular line much...

Some of my heavier lines have been in service for longer than 2 years esp if usage has been pretty minimal.  But at first sight of line deterioration or damage, out it goes and I'd just go load some new line on.

Anyone else would like to share as well?

• Devilzken
    I dun change often unless got big trips. But every salty session will strip the line and soak with warm water to remove the salt. There a line lube by Arden can help protect the line also

• Michael Lim
    I use a PE line spray too to help protect the line a little bit longer.

• Limpeh
    Hope more can contribute so can learn from this thread.

Personally, I'm dam lazy when comes to line change... Very on the ball when go tackle shopping...

Usually when i see some deterioration or frequent breakage on the line, I'll cut few meters off, still keep it sufficient for the depth I'm playing (Arga Arga.. some times cut until lost count on meters lost). For those playing luring/casting, cut until half spool may affect the smoothness of the line payout, thus affect the distance? (hear+say)

Once, I tried to de-spool and turn the line around. Meaning to use the end of the line that was previously deep inside, to be now outside the spool (connect to leader side). This way it's almost like having new line, and good reason to clean the line/inner spool. This process is however very time consuming...

Another reason that I'll stick to a certain line and try not to change, is that there's always new lines in the market, usually with mixed reviews. Changing to new line means taking a new risk. Unless the previous line I'm usually dam chui, I'll prefer not to fix something that is not broken.
  • botakchong
    "A chain is as strong as it's weakest link"

I replace my line as and when the line breaks in mid section.

Will strip my lines after every session, not so much as to prolong line's life span as I uses cheap S$18, 300meters line. It's more for reel drum protection.
  • botakchong
    My cheapo braided line spooler.
  • Luke Maow Bear

​This is brilliant!

----

I don't really change that much.
  • Limpeh

​PM price! :D

Why need to be in this shape? Does it make it any easier to keep/release? I sometime use empty toilet paper roll... round and no sharp edges. :p

• Devilzken
    Look like some art and craft stuff  :D
  • botakchong
    Limpeh said:

Why need to be in this shape? Does it make it any easier to keep/release? I sometime use empty toilet paper roll... round and no sharp edges. :p

​Ha ha ha ha 
    It's just for fun, no specific reason.
    I like it being flat, will not roll. Compact, easy to pack & store. And while fish are not biting, use it as a "Nanja Star" to hit other kaki's.

• ayeosq
    Limpeh said:

​Ha ha ha ha 
    It's just for fun, no specific reason.
    I like it being flat, will not roll. Compact, easy to pack & store. And while fish are not biting, use it as a "Nanja Star" to hit other kaki's.

​Hope that's not more than 300 meters of line