Enya prawn test session 10th Oct 2018

Michael Lim
so I was invited by Eduard, the boss of Baithouse to a tenya session on Sam's boat.  Took me a while but I did a fierce prep....   Too fierce according to some... hahaha

After a quick breakfast session at a canteen nearby, we proceeded to the boat a short distance away.  There I realised why the others were loaded so lightly, the access point is quite limited and rickety.  Lucky the others were kind and assisted me with my load.

Rigging up on the boat, I realised that the others were using mainly heavier gear as opposed to the lighter gear that me and Marko were trying out.  Well, who knows...  but I'm more hoping for the table sized fishes anyway.  Hahahaha...

I started off with #8 Daiwa tenya and it held it's ground for most of the day...  the first hit came...  smallies... lucky, not mine.... hahaha

Then this decent one jumped on my rig.

In between, the rest of us has hits and misses...  a lot of misses.  Quite a few times the meat were all picked off leaving on the shell of the prawns on the hooks.

The next good take on my Daiwa Kohga Tenya game rod was super enjoyable... The fish grabbed and I struck hard...  the rod bent over in a sweet curve.  The fish was struggling...  But I managed to pump and wind the fish up slightly...  Then it dived....  Oooohhh the sweet sound of the Daiwa Kohga EX 2508's drag was music to the ears...  I pumped and wound again...  a few seconds later, it dived again...  This is what I was going for...  hard clean fighting fishes...

On surfacing, I realised it was only hooked on the stinger hook and needed a net to land safely.

Just lovely...  It went into the live bait tank to join another parrotfish caught earlier by another kaki, Ah Boon (who had graciously gave me a ride to and fro).

The others were filling up the iceboxes and live bait tank slowly but surely...

Marko also slowly increased the sized of his catches...  from arumugam, to blue lined hind and even a monster sized puffer fish... :D :D

But his final catch of a solid sized ang gao, that was the kicker of the whole trip....

One final grouper came up to me for a closing.

And minus all the throwbacks...  here is the final tally for the whole boat of 6 anglers.

Apologies for the quality of the last shot...  it was drizzling and I was probably rocking on the boat, thus it could have blurred the shot like this...  Was decently fun, but the regulars were saying this was not even a good result...  Guess that shows how good it could have been...
  • Limpeh
    Nice CR.

I've to agree that this was probably the average result on Sam's boat.

After using farmed prawn for years, and now couple of trips with Enya, do you have an conclusion on Enya Prawn test?
  • Michael Lim
    Limpeh said:
    Nice CR.

I've to agree that this was probably the average result on Sam's boat.

After using farmed prawn for years, and now couple of trips with Enya, do you have an conclusion on Enya Prawn test?
    ​Not really.... 

after-all it's my first trip on his boat.  And I am still trying to get used to the original spec Tenya fishing on the Southern side.

Such light tackle form of fishing is often frowned upon by most of the boatman and I do understand where they are coming from, being that such gear would not be able to stand up to the big groupers.  But this is the sort of fishing which I like and prefer.

Thus I would take note and try to avoid such charters since they would rather have anglers go up with much heavier gear and slam the fishes up.

So, still trying to find a light tackle friendly charter for now...
  • nightdash
    Wau lau... I thought you all talking about her, so I click.

• Limpeh
    Guess it's quite a challenge to use light weight Tenya at southern. I may end up just tight a heavy sinker together with the Tenya to prevent it from kiting... Pretty sure I'll probably get nothing if I'm using what you used.

I believe that boatman does light jigging and even ajing, if it's communicated upfront.

Since you mentioned you joined another group, probably the expectations weren't aligned.
  • Michael Lim
    Limpeh said:
    Guess it's quite a challenge to use light weight Tenya at southern. I may end up just tight a heavy sinker together with the Tenya to prevent it from kiting... Pretty sure I'll probably get nothing if I'm using what you used.

I believe that boatman does light jigging and even ajing, if it's communicated upfront.

Since you mentioned you joined another group, probably the expectations weren't aligned.
    ​Probably....  but most of the captains I have seen and fished with typically frown on my UL style of fishing.  They always claim it's too light for local waters.  I typically prefer to do light tenya and often it's a hit or miss where I may get buried by a biggie which grabs the bait.

I take my chances, but some don't really like it as it hurts their image (when they could have gotten another biggie for publicity sake) or that the fish will then not bite and possibly spoil that spot for a couple of days (true or not, I am not sure)

Well...  the Changi capt I go with is a happy go lucky guy, so I enjoy that better...
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016