line diameter for longer casting

Weedturtle
Im using 10lb braided line for my ultralight setup and i want to know if i change to 6lb line it will improve my casting distance significantly. Im not sure if i want to spend the money to change it
  • Devilzken
    Thinner lines will improve your distance as it's lighter
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Im using 10lb braided line for my ultralight setup and i want to know if i change to 6lb line it will improve my casting distance significantly. Im not sure if i want to spend the money to change it
    ​use 4lb Fireline. 6lbs is still too "heavy". 

Yes your casting will vastly be different if you the the right leader connection and use the appropriate leader + 4lb
  • Weedturtle
    Alright thx, is 10lb leader ok with 4lb main line
  • Luke Maow Bear
    ​yes bro, 12lb even up to 16lb as a short outside leader is ok.
  • Michael Lim
    Practise tying the FG knot and you'll enjoy this connection.

• Weedturtle
    ​short outside leader? Does it mean the knot connection is outside of the tip guide when casting. Wont such a short leader affect the bites?
  • Michael Lim
    ​short outside leader? Does it mean the knot connection is outside of the tip guide when casting. Wont such a short leader affect the bites?
    ​Not really....  about a foot long should be sufficient for most of the species.  We tend to get kiasu and make it really long, but this affects casting distance...

The only fish which I think may cause some issues would be a KBL when it jumps and tries to cut the line with the gill covers, other than that, most should be ok.