Singapore Tenya Introduction

noobla
I have a Gomoku Kaiten PE 1-3 rod, and a reel spooled with PE 1.2 braided line.

Can I use this setup for Tenya?
And what weight Tenya jig should I use in local waters?

Thanks in advance!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    noobla said:

Thanks in advance!
    ​30 Grams to 100 Grams.
  • noobla
    noobla said:

Thanks in advance!
    ​30 Grams to 100 Grams.
    ​Thanks! Is the setup okay?
  • XkennX
    i feel your setup no problem. I use PE 0.8-2 rod with PE 1 braid for southern islands. Tenya i use 60gm, 80gms and 100 gms depend on current.
  • Michael Lim
    noobla said:

Thanks in advance!
    ​Depending on situation and also how you are gonna do it.

I used to do it with a tai rubber rod and slightly heavier tenya from about #6 (24gms) onwards on PE 1.5 to PE 2...  I have tried it up to #25 (which is approx 100+ gms) but I do not like the feel of it...  it's dead weight and you can't really feel the bites as well.

Now, I am trying out dedicated tenya rod and reel (Daiwa Kohga Tenya game + Daiwa Kohga reel) loaded with PE 0.8 and with a lighter line, you can get away with lighter tenya's.

The actual weight required depends on the situation of the day, current flow, wind speed, any other factors which may affect the drift will need to be accounted for.

The way the Japanese do it and we do it is different.  Locally, we tend to just let it hit the bottom and let it bounce off the floor to attract anything off the floor bed.  The Japanese however will let it touch and then lift up and jig a couple of feet up.  Their targets are more off the bottom, so they rarely hang up on the bottom.  Ours however would be more touchy with more corals, bumps and holes.  So do take note and beware of losing a couple of jigs on each trip.

Rigging of the bait has been shown on quite a few YouTube videos and make sure your stinger hook reaches just nice for the size of the prawn you are using.

Your setup should do well, and keep the leader light, mebbe about 20 to 30lbs or so to maintain the feel on the tenya.  Start off light around #8 and move up accordingly if you see your line "layang" out with the current.  You'd want to maintain more or less a vertical jigging pattern if possible or if you understand the drift well, you can also allow it to drift towards the reef or target spot that your boat captain have position up-current from...

Most however would drift over target areas and then move back to drift over and over until they decide to move to another spot to try.

Hope these helps,