Newbie confused about reels

noobla
Hi,

I have all my fishing knowledge and experience based in surf fishing. I recently bought a Storm Gomoku Kaiten as a bait rod to play seabass/kbl from shore. 

However, I understand that it is fundamentally a micro jigging rod. I consulted a friend who does speed jigging and he said to find a high gear ratio reel to avoid exhaustion and suggested the Shimano Twinpower. 

I cannot justify spending that much money already having spent some money on a couple of surf equipment. 

Friend also mentioned the Stradic Ci4 didn't hold up during a jigging trip. 

Anyone have any recommendations for the best value for money reel that can hold? Looking for a size 3000 spinning reel. More suggestions/advice the better.
  • Michael Lim
    Consider the new LT series from Daiwa.  There are quite a few models to choose from :

http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/reel/spin_rl/18legalisLT/index.html

Also you can pop down to shops like 2000 Tackle, Eastackle, etc for more info.  Look around, ask and find out more before deciding.

• sharkbait
    noobla said:
    Hi,

I have all my fishing knowledge and experience based in surf fishing. I recently bought a Storm Gomoku Kaiten as a bait rod to play seabass/kbl from shore. 

However, I understand that it is fundamentally a micro jigging rod. I consulted a friend who does speed jigging and he said to find a high gear ratio reel to avoid exhaustion and suggested the Shimano Twinpower. 

I cannot justify spending that much money already having spent some money on a couple of surf equipment. 

Anyone have any recommendations for the best value for money reel that can hold? Looking for a size 3000 spinning reel. More suggestions/advice the better.
    ​I'm Confused. 

Are you doing jigging or baiting for kbl?
  • noobla
    Consider the new LT series from Daiwa.  There are quite a few models to choose from :

http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/reel/spin_rl/18legalisLT/index.html

Also you can pop down to shops like 2000 Tackle, Eastackle, etc for more info.  Look around, ask and find out more before deciding.

​Thank you for the suggestions!
  • noobla
    sharkbait said:
    noobla said:
    Hi,

​I'm Confused. 

Are you doing jigging or baiting for kbl?
    ​Both. But in regards to this post, jigging.

I have a Sienna I use for the baiting.
  • qoonutz

you talk to one friend, he will tell u this and that.. Talk to another, he will tell you this and that.. Talk to the 3rd one, you get another set of "I am more pro than you" answers..

My advice is

(1) Determine how hardcore are you first. Are you one of those "3 minute fever" kind of person? Do you have other commitments?

(2) There is no such thing as "one size fits all" gear for fishing. Back to my first paragraph, even you have Stella, some one will still say "not good enough for this and that fishing".

(3) Since you are new, you should use your current gear and progress SLOWLY. Buy too many stuff too quickly, you will find fishing a bottomless pit.

(4) Ask yourself how "FAR" you wish to go in Fishing. SG waters? Malaysia? Rompin/Kuching? Maldives? The list go on and on.

(5) One thing I noticed about "fishing friends" is that we all love to "poison each other". Know your limits. If you cannot keep up, don't succumb to temptations. Fishing is about "enjoying", not a mad chase for this and that equipment.

• qoonutz

Oh yes, one more thing.. Fishing (friends) taught me one thing - story telling.

Take ALL stories with one BIG pinch of salt. Take ALL pictures with another one BIG pinch of salt.

Haa!

• alexkooi
    i used to be like you and still learning. buy a mediocre set and try first and slowly decide from there. fishing gear is highly personal preference.. but first u must decide whether u like BC or Spinning reel setup :)
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016