Is saltiga 4000H overpowering for light jigging setup?

hide09
Hi all. Need your advice on the above. TIA. 
  • freshjapanfishing
    hide09 said:
    Hi all. Need your advice on the above. TIA. 
    ​Hi there, could you give some details about your rod, jig weight(s), PE line & shock leader? 
  • hide09
    @freshjapanfishing I'm still on a task gathering the right tackle for a light jigging spinning setups. I've use OH for my slow jig set-up hearty rise power 2 and Ryoga 2025 so currently need advice on using saltiga 4000H for light jig. What's your advice?
  • freshjapanfishing
    hide09 said:
    @freshjapanfishing I'm still on a task gathering the right tackle for a light jigging spinning setups. I've use OH for my slow jig set-up hearty rise power 2 and Ryoga 2025 so currently need advice on using saltiga 4000H for light jig. What's your advice?
    ​Hi again! Honestly I’ve tried rods for light shore jigging, sea bass and rock fish with light tackle and they work best with reels max 3000 series Daiwa / Shimano / Abu Garcia Cardinal, sometimes even 2500 series. Previously I used Shimano C2500 FE (for eging) and actually that also worked for me in shore jigging moments.

When your jig is 20-40g, you’d actually be using more muscle to jig your 4000 reel than the jig itself. Lighter rod with lighter reel setups allow for more natural jerking action and also the lighter your line the further you can cast, which means you don’t need such a big reel too. If you’re concerned about line break then perhaps use Shimano bobbin spinner to tie a 30-40lb fluorocarbon shock leader to your braided line and make it strong. Just my 2 cents worth. :)
  • hide09
    Well noted. Hope there's more kaki's willing to give their advice.
  • monstrad

normally light jigs is refering to jig weights from 60-150g

jigs <60g is micro jigging

daiwa 4000 = shimano 6000 whch is too heavy for light jigging

best size is shimano 4000

• freshjapanfishing
    monstrad said:

normally light jigs is refering to jig weights from 60-150g

jigs <60g is micro jigging

daiwa 4000 = shimano 6000 whch is too heavy for light jigging

best size is shimano 4000

Culture difference I guess. Micro jigging in Japan is below 20g. Light shore jigging is 20-60g. I guess you're referring to offshore.
  • hide09
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going for Shimano 4000 series.
© Copyright 2016