Spinning or overhead

sexykangkong
Hello. I’m still pretty new so I’m seeking alil guidance here (:

Im a seaman by profession so I spend most of my time working out at sea for months. And I found that jigging is the most effective method for me because of the height I’m fishing from a large ship. The problem I always face is trying to land the fish onboard te ship! A net or grapple hook is not available because of the height of the ship, hence I gotta lock my drag and walk backwards till the fish is up on deck. 

So my question is can anyone advise me whether spinning or overhead would suit me better?
  • Staphylococcus
    Interesting scenario! 

I think an overhead reel would be better. As you said, lock the drag and reel. Probably might want to point the rod down towards the fish and reel. This way the reel is doing the pulling and and not stressing the rod too much. Hopefully your main line is a heavy line. 
  • albrightknot

Depends on what is the height , if it is below 7meters
    there are those telescopic landing net used in ISO
    fishing that are 7.2m , or you can look for pier/bridge
    landing net , see attached photos .
  • nuvole
    I'm also working on ship. I troll using 50lb rod, Penn 16vsx with 60b mainline & 80-120lb wind on leader.
  • sexykangkong
    nuvole said:
    I'm also working on ship. I troll using 50lb rod, Penn 16vsx with 60b mainline & 80-120lb wind on leader.
    ​You mean you travel around with your rod when you join/leave the ship? 
  • sexykangkong
    Interesting scenario! 

I think an overhead reel would be better. As you said, lock the drag and reel. Probably might want to point the rod down towards the fish and reel. This way the reel is doing the pulling and and not stressing the rod too much. Hopefully your main line is a heavy line. 
    ​Currently using 60lbs braid with 120lbs leader. I’m worried that I’m damaging the spinning reel I’m using now when I’m trying to reel the fish all the way up onto the ship...
  • nuvole
    I leave my tackle on my regular ship, and travel with tackle on others.
    Reeling in all the way should not damage the reel.

If you do catch the "Big" one, you probably need some hands on the deck to help you lifting the fish. 
    That's the reason I use long wind-on leader. The leader should be at least a few meter longer than your free board.

Nets just make a mess, I've lost loads of fish trying all sort of landing nets. Common scenario, hook got hooked on nets, fish go free.

Flying gaff or harpoon works the best if you have good deckhand onboard.

Goggle "Panama Yo-yo Handline", this is the other method I use for trolling.