Kayak anchor

Michael Lim
Here, I shall share some knowledge which I learnt about anchors.

The whole setup for me looks like this :

It consists of an anchor, chain, rope and also a float in case I need to dump the whole anchor to chase after a fish urgently.

Here is where the rope joins up to the anchor chain via a swivel.  The chain and parts are all made of marine grade stainless steel.

Here is the break free portion where I use a thin cable tie to tie down the anchor chain to the shank of the anchor.  This holds the anchor in place when fishing.  But if you get snagged, pull hard on the anchor and break the cable tie, the chain will then release and end up connected to the rear of the anchor via a shackle shown here

The shackle is also locked in place with wires as it may turn loose.
  • oceanus
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Michael. May I ask what is the length of your anchor rope? My 1.5 lbs anchor comes with only 15m of rope, which is only enough for shallow waters.  Good point on wirelocking the shackle. I am using 2 loops of 20lbs monofilament instead of cable tie. Guess should work well although I have not tried to break it.

• Michael Lim
    oceanus said:
    Thanks Michael. May I ask what is the length of your anchor rope? My 1.5 lbs anchor comes with only 15m of rope, which is only enough for shallow waters.  Good point on wirelocking the shackle. I am using 2 loops of 20lbs monofilament instead of cable tie. Guess should work well although I have not tried to break it.

​You might want to try it before stressing yourself on the water.  The break test..

As for length of anchor rope, you'll definitely want longer.  The length of the rope should be more than 4-5 times your operating depth.  Thus if you are going to be in 10m waters, you'll need a 40 to 50m line.  The reason is that you will not be deploying your anchor in a straight up and down manner, but rather in an angle of probably 45 degrees or so.

Do note that most online articles would advise on a much longer length of 7 to 8 times your operating depth to prevent rogue waves or currents from toppling you but that may be overkill and also too time consuming to deploy.

I coil up rope up and tie up the excess with rubber bands and I can actually dump the whole lot of coils and float if needed.  It is attached thru a anchor trolley system on the side of the kayak to my quick release buckle.
  • oceanus
    Thanks for sharing!

• Luke Maow Bear
    I didn't know that you were so into Yakking, Michael.
  • Michael Lim
    I didn't know that you were so into Yakking, Michael.
    ​I get deep into subjects I pick up....  haha
  • extractor
    Here is the best system ever designed, its always about the line creating a big big bird nest... Line management is the biggest pain, Lol!

• Michael Lim
    extractor said:
    Here is the best system ever designed, its always about the line creating a big big bird nest... Line management is the biggest pain, Lol!

​Nice...  this is good...