2016 Daiwa certate

fumiii
edited August 2017 in Reels
Hi guys, fresh new member here who's lost way too many hours of sleep contemplating reels.

Been meaning to upgrade to the new certate 2510pe, mainly for SW use, but I not much about it is really available online. What I have found is that reel maintenance and the line roller seems to be the most common issues with certate users, with it seizing and what not, but otherwise a supreme reel.

Anyone out there able to share their own experiences? Or give a general review of the 2016 certate? 
  • Michael Lim
    For all spinning reels, just keep it clean and oiled (the line roller).
    But I do have a 3012H Certate, a 3012H X-Fire and a 2004 Luvias and none of them have any roller issues even though I have not oiled them from day 1 of use.  (mebbe its' time for me to do some light maintenance now) but each of them are still in good condition even with quite a bit of fair use.

I do wash them down after each trip with water and drying them carefully before storage to the next use.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Daiwa and Shimano alike all have roller bearing issues. Just keep it clean and wash it after use.

The 2016 Certate is a gem of a reel; it's hard to fault it besides having a magseal which I have warmed up to greatly. No issue.
  • fumiii
    For all spinning reels, just keep it clean and oiled (the line roller).
    But I do have a 3012H Certate, a 3012H X-Fire and a 2004 Luvias and none of them have any roller issues even though I have not oiled them from day 1 of use.  (mebbe its' time for me to do some light maintenance now) but each of them are still in good condition even with quite a bit of fair use.

I do wash them down after each trip with water and drying them carefully before storage to the next use.
    ​Mmhmm mmhmm sounds like good news to me. Thanks so much for the input Michael!
  • fumiii
    Daiwa and Shimano alike all have roller bearing issues. Just keep it clean and wash it after use.

The 2016 Certate is a gem of a reel; it's hard to fault it besides having a magseal which I have warmed up to greatly. No issue.
    ​Thanks a lot Luke! 

About the magseal though, care to elaborate a little more about it, considering you've had to warm up to it? Any past issues with it? 
  • extractor
    The roller bearing is a very minor issues which happens to practically 99.9% of reels. Any reel with bearing in the line roller is guaranteed to rust in saltwater.

But this is a very very minor issue... because that is a regular wear and tear replacement part, a stainless ball bearing only cost $3.50 each and it only takes a philips screwdriver and 3 mins to change it out...

Assuming you heavy user and need to change them out 3 times a year, well... its only like $10 per year.

Rinse them properly after salt trip and after every 4 trips, jus apply some corrosion X... they will go a long way...

buy the reel you like and dun bother about the line roller issue.

• Michael Lim
    fumiii said:

​Thanks a lot Luke! 

About the magseal though, care to elaborate a little more about it, considering you've had to warm up to it? Any past issues with it? 
    ​Quite a few old school users hate the magseal as they are unable to open up the reel themselves to service it.  Also at times, it may be a water trap instead when water (esp the salt variety) enters thru another aperture and gets stuck inside.
  • extractor
    Yeah, dats the reason why till today i didnt hv any mag seal reels... 

i luv tinkering with my Precious... sending them in cost quite abit and worst... they refuse to sell you the mag seal oil forcing you to send them in only... no deal man...
  • Luke Maow Bear
    extractor said:
    Yeah, dats the reason why till today i didnt hv any mag seal reels... 

i luv tinkering with my Precious... sending them in cost quite abit and worst... they refuse to sell you the mag seal oil forcing you to send them in only... no deal man...
    ​And there is no good Daiwa servicing representsation here as they have to send it back to Japan or something. That locks users up to wait up to 3 months or more?

The "oh I am bringing it down to Shop X for servicing" also does not sit with me well. If only Daiwa can service it, how can a shop make it any better besides a degreasing and the odd bearing change; on the same token if a shop services my reel and its a Shimano reel where they can get parts and not like Daiwa where it is closed end to end which is a lot like Apple - then servicing a Shimano Reel in the shop makes perfect sense.
  • Michael Lim
    Even Van Staals make u send in the reels regularly back to them for servicing.  What happens often is some users do not service the reels until there is some major issues and by then, major repairs and overhauls have to be done.

What I find these company's do is bank on the fact that there is some form of protection and hope that the users actually do send it in for regular tune ups.
  • Freakinfart
    fumiii said:

​Thanks a lot Luke! 

​Quite a few old school users hate the magseal as they are unable to open up the reel themselves to service it.  Also at times, it may be a water trap instead when water (esp the salt variety) enters thru another aperture and gets stuck inside.
    ​Just like some old school user hated the Shimano Micro Module Gear~

Teehee~

*guilty
  • Luke Maow Bear
    fumiii said:

​Thanks a lot Luke! 

​Just like some old school user hated the Shimano Micro Module Gear~

Teehee~

*guilty
    ​ya it was fancy to say back in the day too! MICRO MODULE GEAR.