Going Desaru in September. Any tips and tricks?

Farhan_Siakap
Hi guys and girls, I'm going Desaru for fishing. Was wondering whether there are any tips and tricks like what perambot, weights etc to prioritise. Rod and reel? I have a PE 1-3 and a PE 3-6 rod. Reels I have 2 size 5000s and 1 size 4000.  Thanks peeps.
  • The Drifters
    bring Sabikis, the selar there very big now. PE 1-3 rod with shimano reel size 4000 is enough for one day tip. weight is depend on corrent. 2,,4,5,6 is okay.

• monstrad
    bring a few size 10 sinker
  • Farhan_Siakap
    bring Sabikis, the selar there very big now. PE 1-3 rod with shimano reel size 4000 is enough for one day tip. weight is depend on corrent. 2,,4,5,6 is okay.

monstrad said:
    bring a few size 10 sinker
    ​Alright guys. Thanks. Also, I'll be night fishing there too. Any comments about that? 
  • SportAngler
    Are you going for bottom, normal jigging or UL? There are a few different spot in Desaru depending of your boatman.
    We usually goes for Micro Jigging for small fishes. So a Micro Jigging or of PE0.5 or 0.8 is used wz 2500 reel.
    Asari Cast fighter jig work well.
    Also bring an additional set of PE1-3 for casting Pintail / Sinking Lure for Mackerel.
  • Farhan_Siakap
    Are you going for bottom, normal jigging or UL? There are a few different spot in Desaru depending of your boatman.
    We usually goes for Micro Jigging for small fishes. So a Micro Jigging or of PE0.5 or 0.8 is used wz 2500 reel.
    Asari Cast fighter jig work well.
    Also bring an additional set of PE1-3 for casting Pintail / Sinking Lure for Mackerel.
    ​Mostly bottom and normal jigging bro. And definitely Mackerel if they are around too.
  • SportAngler
    I am going tomorrow and boatman said it is windy for the few days. Prepare some heavier sinker to standby.
  • frz1
    I am going tomorrow and boatman said it is windy for the few days. Prepare some heavier sinker to standby.
    ​So its still very windy isit according to your captain. Cn you please update once again after you end your trip bro. Thanks. 
  • Farhan_Siakap
    ​Hey bruh. Please highlight gear used and definitely put up photos of your catch ya!
  • PLANEUNG
    @ thedrifters

hi bro which sabikis brand and size will be best per your recommendation? thanks in advance!
  • EdwinKoh
    fish skin sabiki  
    prepare for ice cream if jigging
    2 trips last week eat ice cream
  • Farhan_Siakap
    EdwinKoh said:
    fish skin sabiki  
    prepare for ice cream if jigging
    2 trips last week eat ice cream
    ​what in the world is ice cream day? Hahahahaha. Pardon me, i is a tad new in these acronyms.
  • SportAngler
    frz1 said:
    ​So its still very windy isit according to your captain. Cn you please update once again after you end your trip bro. Thanks. 
    We did not have any good result in jigging last Sat. We decide to go bottom. I was using seahawk Fish skin Sabiki Size 4(By far most effective) and have a number of broke off from big pull. Landed few Ang Kueh and grouper table size. Those broke off should be bigger. If you can get bigger one will have less break off.
    We used the bait we jigged and have a few good size Ang Kueh and Grouper. No luck on the Mackerel.
    Tackle - PE4 OH slowfall and Calcutta 300. PE2 line wz J6 sinker. Other kaki was using Spinnning PE1-3 & 4k reel.
    No picture as no monster size. Biggest should be 2kg+.
    Good luck to you.

PS - Ice cream mean Zero figher
  • The Drifters
    PLANEUNG said:
    @ thedrifters

hi bro which sabikis brand and size will be best per your recommendation? thanks in advance!
    ​I use size 8, 10 because Selar mouth very small.
  • PLANEUNG
    thank you bro!
    too bad i bought many packs of surecatch size 12 already lol. no problem, back to the tackle shop!
  • frz1
    frz1 said:
    ​We did not have any good result in jigging last Sat. We decide to go bottom. I was using seahawk Fish skin Sabiki Size 4(By far most effective) and have a number of broke off from big pull. Landed few Ang Kueh and grouper table size. Those broke off should be bigger. If you can get bigger one will have less break off.
    We used the bait we jigged and have a few good size Ang Kueh and Grouper. No luck on the Mackerel.
    Tackle - PE4 OH slowfall and Calcutta 300. PE2 line wz J6 sinker. Other kaki was using Spinnning PE1-3 & 4k reel.
    Good luck to you.

​About how many pcs you guys manage to bring up in total? Angkuehs and groupers? Hows the wind? Cos the other time i went the wind was HORRIBLE. Had to anchor just to go for selars. And the capt had trouble in anchoring. Cos of the wind. 
  • SportAngler
    frz1 said:
    frz1 said:
    ​We did not have any good result in jigging last Sat. We decide to go bottom. I was using seahawk Fish skin Sabiki Size 4(By far most effective) and have a number of broke off from big pull. Landed few Ang Kueh and grouper table size. Those broke off should be bigger. If you can get bigger one will have less break off.
    Good luck to you.

​About how many pcs you guys manage to bring up in total? Angkuehs and groupers? Hows the wind? Cos the other time i went the wind was HORRIBLE. Had to anchor just to go for selars. And the capt had trouble in anchoring. Cos of the wind. 
    ​The wind was quite strong. We had to re-anchor a few time to hit the spot. Wind and current opposite direction.
    Luck for a short window, the wind and current was in 1 direction and this is when we get all the catch.
    My guess is about 6 AK, 3 ACK & 3 grouper. Other are Hard Tail maybe 1/2 pail.
  • frz1
    frz1 said:
    frz1 said:
    Good luck to you.

​The wind was quite strong. We had to re-anchor a few time to hit the spot. Wind and current opposite direction.
    Luck for a short window, the wind and current was in 1 direction and this is when we get all the catch.
    My guess is about 6 AK, 3 ACK & 3 grouper. Other are Hard Tail maybe 1/2 pail.
    Ahhh icicicic... good to hear that theyre eating. Cos the other time i went not even biggies. Hais. But nvm its all about luck anyways. Hopefully this coming week its good. Btw whos boat? 
  • SportAngler
    We went with Ah Long
  • Farhan_Siakap
    Hmms. Noted with thanks for everyone's input. Will take into account all your comments! Hopefully after my trip will update with photos!
  • The Drifters
    james_rai said:
    Desaru is just opposite Singapore.  no fisherman there. the nearest fishing village is pengerang where many fish is caught. Pengerang is nearer to Singapore. in fact there are ferry service from changi point to Pengerang.don;t forget to bring your passport.
    ​We travel before by MPV with passport we board boat at 8am. Ferry service is not convenient at all.
  • The Drifters
    edited August 2017
    Nah,you are wrong. there are so many types of fishes there. many boatman too.
    you are outdated, many penggerang residents have been compensated and resettled further up already.
  • PLANEUNG
    @farhan ;

hi bro, how were the results of your trip to Desaru? Am heading up in 2 months time and any update will be helpful. not too sure on how heavy to gear up or just go mid light. Any update on strong currents and type of fish caught? thanks bro.
  • Farhan_Siakap
    PLANEUNG said:
    @farhan ;

hi bro, how were the results of your trip to Desaru? Am heading up in 2 months time and any update will be helpful. not too sure on how heavy to gear up or just go mid light. Any update on strong currents and type of fish caught? thanks bro.

• Farhan_Siakap
    I was using Majorcraft Bone PE 3-6. Was mostly overkill to the smaller fishes but my 24kg Cobia bent the rod like Beckham. I would advise bringing two setups. Medium and heavy? Medium setup was normal 10-20lbs rod with size 5K reel fitted with  20lbs line paired with 50lbs leader. Heavy setup was Bone PE 3-6 paired with ATC Valiant 5K with PE3 braid. 

Currents was slightly strong, size 18 weights were shifting at night currents. Will be bringing size 20 also as I'm going again this april. Haha.

fish species conquered that day:
    local shark.
    tembal pipi.
    cobia.
    kaci.
    coral trout.
    grouper.
    brown stingray.
    all assortments of small fishes.

boatman said there were tenggiri around. But not in season. Hopefully this trip have. Hahaha.
    PLANEUNG said:
    @farhan ;

• PLANEUNG
    Thanks bro Farhan for the breakdown. wow! a 24kg cobia? Good thing for your heavy gear. I will be doing just a day trip but will keep in mind you never know what may bite in the open sea. thanks again and enjoy your next trip!
  • Farhan_Siakap
    PLANEUNG said:
    Thanks bro Farhan for the breakdown. wow! a 24kg cobia? Good thing for your heavy gear. I will be doing just a day trip but will keep in mind you never know what may bite in the open sea. thanks again and enjoy your next trip!
    ​All the best bro! Tight lines!
  • PLANEUNG
    I would just like to update on a recent day trip to Desaru. We managed to land 2 good sized spanish macks (8 Kg), a big dorado (6Kg) and 2 ebek (4-5Kg) plus loads of bait fish some of which were pretty huge especially the hard tails. Also not to mention Garoupas, parrots and ang chor from small to 2Kg range when fishing bottom. The most suitable setup for live baiting for macks I found was a light spinning pe1-3 rod with C3000 Twinpower reel loaded with 20lb line and 30lb fluoro leader rigged with short 20lb nylon coated wire and twin hooks of size 3/0 or 4/0. Had the most fun with this tiny but powerful spinning reel! If not sure how to tie the wire rig, just bring the hooks and wire leader and the deckies will tie for you. C4000 shimano sized spinning reels seemed a bit overkill and the lighter setups were getting much more hits. We were using both Shimano and YGK fluoros and both worked just as well with frequent hits. Using circle hooks (3/0 or 4/0) also had no issues hooking up pelagics successfully. I was using the Mustad Demon hooks and really like these as they mostly always hook up successfully.

For bottom fishing, tenyas (60gm and above) and running sinker rigs worked better than apollos. Maybe it was just a coincidence on this trip. Size 3/0 to 4/0 for bottom is fine. Also live prawns vs kelong sotongs proved live prawns the winner. After awhile we stopped using the sotong bait. Oh yes for bottom, multiplier setup is more comfortable. I was using Ryoga Bay Jigging 2025 with pe1.5 line  on a  PE2 slow jig rod and absolutely loved this combo.  Any overhead/bait caster reel with compatible specs would work great as well.

Perhaps the lighter gears were more preferable this trip as the current was not at all strong and size 5 sinkers was the most that was needed. Above is just my opinion only but have arrived at this after trying several types of setups over many trips there. Hope it helps anyone who is going up to Desaru for a day trip.
  • asylumseeker
    PLANEUNG said:
    I would just like to update on a recent day trip to Desaru. We managed to land 2 good sized spanish macks (8 Kg), a big dorado (6Kg) and 2 ebek (4-5Kg) plus loads of bait fish some of which were pretty huge especially the hard tails. Also not to mention Garoupas, parrots and ang chor from small to 2Kg range when fishing bottom. The most suitable setup for live baiting for macks I found was a light spinning pe1-3 rod with C3000 Twinpower reel loaded with 20lb line and 30lb fluoro leader rigged with short 20lb nylon coated wire and twin hooks of size 3/0 or 4/0. Had the most fun with this tiny but powerful spinning reel! If not sure how to tie the wire rig, just bring the hooks and wire leader and the deckies will tie for you. C4000 shimano sized spinning reels seemed a bit overkill and the lighter setups were getting much more hits. We were using both Shimano and YGK fluoros and both worked just as well with frequent hits. Using circle hooks (3/0 or 4/0) also had no issues hooking up pelagics successfully. I was using the Mustad Demon hooks and really like these as they mostly always hook up successfully.

For bottom fishing, tenyas (60gm and above) and running sinker rigs worked better than apollos. Maybe it was just a coincidence on this trip. Size 3/0 to 4/0 for bottom is fine. Also live prawns vs kelong sotongs proved live prawns the winner. After awhile we stopped using the sotong bait. Oh yes for bottom, multiplier setup is more comfortable. I was using Ryoga Bay Jigging 2025 with pe1.5 line  on a  PE2 slow jig rod and absolutely loved this combo.  Any overhead/bait caster reel with compatible specs would work great as well.

Perhaps the lighter gears were more preferable this trip as the current was not at all strong and size 5 sinkers was the most that was needed. Above is just my opinion only but have arrived at this after trying several types of setups over many trips there. Hope it helps anyone who is going up to Desaru for a day trip.
    ​Any boatman contact to share?
  • PLANEUNG
    yes bro there are a few boatmen i have been with and they are all good and can be contacted on facebook. they are rothman man, zam jb and ctham.
  • Farhan_Siakap
    PLANEUNG said:

​Any boatman contact to share?
    ​Very nice bro!