New Gears for Beginners (Offshore)

• SportAngler
    Where are you going fishing how come have Marlin?
  • monstrad

speedmaster jig is designed for fast jigging but able to fish bottom aka sinker

speedmaster bottom ship is design for bottom sinker but able to do fast jigging

just don't get the speedmaster slow jig which is not suitable for bottom sinker as the rod is too soft

east coast of Malaysia have marlin, example rompin area

• Devilzken
    monstrad said:

just don't get the speedmaster slow jig which is not suitable for bottom sinker as the rod is too soft

​Quite confusing haha
  • monstrad
    edited August 2017
    Devilzken said:
    monstrad said:

​Quite confusing haha

go shimano SEA website see the rod spec and description

speedmaster also have casting rod for pintail type lure

• sinnergy88

Hi, not sure if you have already bought your gears but I'm using the older version 2011 Daiwa Fream 4000 (Oil-sealed), although it's not a SW reel, it can be used for offshore as long as you don't get your drag wet, grease & oil the reel properly.  The newer 2015 Fream is Mag-Sealed which is better SW resistant, just don't expose the internal to seawater. Rinse the reel if you are doing bloody long days trips and do your SOP cleaning and rinsing (tighten drag) under warm water (no soaking) after each trip, I believe most of us do the same even with a SW reel.

Daiwa mid-range reels are generally cheaper than Shimano in the same category. Shimano is selling a little of it's brand. If you don't mind the brand, Daiwa will suits your budget.

Line capacity for Daiwa 4000 reel is around 250m/40lbs or 300m/30lbs Daiwa J-braid line, generally sufficient for local water and enough for Sailfish but maybe need fight longer (take it like you are having a very long orgasm) if you hookup a monster.

Reel: 1st choice BG 4000 & 2nd choice Fream 4000 (both 8kg drag, Made in China, so that's why the low price $200-$150), if you have the $$, go for Shimano Twinpower SW6000PG/HG, you will not regret this decision.

Rod: choose PE1-3/ 2-4/ 3-5 jigging or bottom fishing rod, a wide range from Majorcraft, Shimano, Daiwa, Xzoga etc., (price range $250 -$100), die die must choose Fuji guide and Fuji reel seat for the peace of mind if you are going for not so popular brands.

I won't suggest you to listen to the Tackle Shop people recommendations, Salesman's words cannot be trusted 100%, they may have hide things from you or push selling things that you will not use or worst, trying to ripe you off (I have my fair share of experience when I've just started like you, lesson learnt). It's better to ask a friend that know his stuff and bring you to get your tackle.

For fishing there is no hard and fast rules, I have known some kaki that can use very light and cheapo tackle to land big monster. Eventually once you got poisoned, you will know what is your burning desire for the gears, knowing your tackle preferences, from brands, to sizes, to lines, to tying of knots and to even how you wear your underwear. It's always a learning experience for every trip and learning for fishing never ends.

My 10cent worth of thoughts.

Tight lines & Fish-On.

• qoonutz

I am on a Daiwa BG5000 and a Daiwa boat rod (forgot the model). Line is Daiwa Braided X8 @ 60 or 65lbs. Everything was for about $300.

Works great for me so far.

• Damien91
    A little context, I'm heading to rompin this coming sept. So asking for gears that fit this location. Would love to move to the fresh water scene soon as well.  :D 

@Devilzken Again, thanks for the comprehensive explanation. Wasn't aware that braided lines has a pe rating as well. I literally have no other experienced anglers around me anymore, used to be my dad and his friends, but has all stopped fishing or have outdated knowledge. But i'll keep researching! Youtube have varying information on a single topic sometimes.

@SportAngler Sorry, I meant sailfish. Thou smaller, aren't they quite tough to land as well. And there are occasional marlin strikes right, at rompin?

@monstrad Speedmaster Bottomship. Get a jiggin rod, not bottom. Got it!! Thanks!

@sinnergy88 again, thanks for taking the time out to write something so comprehensive. And i cannot agree with you more about the salesmen, luckily i decided to join the forum. Haha. And yeah...experience,..hopefully i dont learn them the hard way. 

@qoonutz Thanks for sharing. Feeling more confident about the set up choice I have alr.

@james_rai I know what you mean. Hahah. But im sure there are a few nice ones.

Price Update:
    Daiwa BG 4000 - $125
    Shimano Speedmater Bottomship PE 2/4 - $108
    Both from sincere. Price might differ, as I am buying quite few units from them at a go.

Tight Lines everyone,
    Damien
  • extractor
    edited August 2017
    Most rods will be able to land pelagic species cos you can take your time to play with them, bottom rods will hv better backbone and lifting power which is essential for dirty tactics species like Grouper, Parrots etc... however a bottom rod will not be suitable for jigging due to its design and action of the blank... It really depends on what you (Predominantly) fish for?

Do you jig most of the time? What do you fish for most of the time? Bottom or Pelagic? Buy the rod that fits your MAIN fishing style... Only you can answer these questions for the correct decision. There is no such thing as a universal rod that can achieve all, thats why some brothers here have a store room full of rods... Lol!!!   

Theres a big difference between the 4000 and 4500 BG, The 4500 is quite abit more powerful than the 4000 bcos it has a significantly bigger body and hence its a much BIGGER reel.

The weight difference is a HUGE, 14oz vs 22oz!!! This is a very very big consideration point! 

The 4000 is pretty much a 30lb reel, the 4500 is 40lb reel... My question to you is... Are you looking for a 30lb or 40lb reel? 

Heavier line doesn't means its better, if thats the case then i better be using 80lb for peacock bass right? jus in case... 

Of course you should trust the boatman and always listen to him! You are fishing with him, not the guy in the shop! The guy in the shop usually only has one purpose, that is to create more sales... Lol! 
  • qoonutz

you are most welcome damien.. i am so sold on daiwa BG that i got a BG2500 as well..

was thinking to get another BG5000 soon!

• SportAngler
    Braided Line are very strong, I hardly use above PE2(30lbs) even when I go KK or Maldives for jigging.
    As for Sail, 30lbs + 250-300m is more than enough  since you are using PE4 rod.
  • Damien91
    @extractor Yeah, finally decided to settle on the BG 4000, and i gotta say, the size of the reel seems perfect. A 30lbs reel would suffice for now, till I find myself venturing for bigger fish.

@qoonutz I just got my hands on them, and i gotta say, they looks and feel wonderful. Cant wait to test them out in Sept.

@sportangler Yeap, decided on the power pro 30lbs 1500yards, gonna share the cost with the mates. Thanks again.

Now to figure out what lures to get. As advices from the kaki here, most likely getting some pintails as suggested by the boatmen.

Anyway, here are a few photos for now. Will upload some in action after my sept trip. Wish me luck! Haha.

Tight Lines,
    Damien
  • SportAngler
    :o You going to open tackles or what. 1 time buy so many set.
    Good luck to your trip.
  • monstrad

pintails r legendary

cost 22-25 depending on which shop u buy it from

or u can try cheaper imitation lures like zerek cavala, storm heavy minnow, asari pinktail, dlure, senses,beito

• Luke Maow Bear
    monstrad said:

pintails r legendary

or u can try cheaper imitation lures like zerek cavala, storm heavy minnow, asari pinktail, dlure, senses,beito

​Bro you really know your stuff man, you replies are super accurate. 
  • monstrad
    monstrad said:

pintails r legendary

​Bro you really know your stuff man, you replies are super accurate. 

no problem, just sharing

all lures do work when fish r hungry

but when fish r shy, a good action lure like pintail is best performer

• Luke Maow Bear
    Yes I believe in it too, in fact I did my one lure challenge in the Maldives on Facebook Live, not sure if you saw it. The Pin Tail is legend.
  • Damien91
    @SportAngler Haha. Buying for my kakis too. Thanks bro!

@monstrad 22-25? Whao! Thats steep!

By the way, the rods witha rating of 2-4 seems a little softer than expected, can they even land a average sized sailfish.
    I mean,...being noobs might be challenging, and it might be bad for the fish huh?
  • SportAngler
    Damien91 said:
    @SportAngler Haha. Buying for my kakis too. Thanks bro!

@monstrad 22-25? Whao! Thats steep!

By the way, the rods witha rating of 2-4 seems a little softer than expected, can they even land a average sized sailfish.
    I mean,...being noobs might be challenging, and it might be bad for the fish huh?
    ​Sail is all about line cap. As long there is enough line there's no worry. It's the 1st run that they are strong. After that it is slowly bring them in. So far I had seem using PE 1 landing a 20kg sail that took my kaki jig.
    The biggest for me is around 45kg on a PE6 popping rod & 8K Biomaster.
  • qoonutz

OMG. You bought 6 BGs?

I am tempted to get another BG5000 for a lighter poundage line (currently on 60lb).

• Luke Maow Bear
    The Daiwa BG won't give a sail any chance. It's a monster of a reel. Good choice. And yeah buying six is the way to go! LOL
  • Damien91
    edited August 2017
    @SportAngler You sound just like a guy i spoke to at Sincere today. I still cant believe such light tackles can land such a fish!

@qoonutz i am no guru when it comes to equipments, but it looks bomb as hell. Sexy piece of engineering.

@"Luke Maow Bear" Hahah, adviced to get them from the best. And I couldn't help myself...check out the haul from the tackle shop. Not everything is for me tho, it'll just be overkill if it was.

• monstrad

didnt buy salt studio heavy minnow ah

they r the cheapest pintail imitation, 4.80 sgd only

• Luke Maow Bear
    monstrad said:

​The brand is salt?
  • SportAngler
    Salt is one of the best & cheap heavy lure.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    What shop bro?
  • SportAngler
    Tackle 2000
  • monstrad

its salt studio lah, just that the studio word is tiny

iirc they r a taiwan brand

they have other products like sazanami shad(copy of berkley rippleshad), kozana shad(copy of zman minnowz), reel modification parts

• Damien91
    monstrad said:

​Wah..didn't know got such things lei. Should've researched more before buying.
    Maybe next time.

But what'd you reckon, the haul I got, enough for 8-10 anglers?
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Tackle 2000
    ​k thx.
  • GoldenCast
    Cute lah this thread.. how I wish I had a kaki like Damien who is probably the go to guy in his group for fishing tackle. ..