Daiwa 14 Caldia gear detached from shaft

AGV
edited April 2017 in Reels
My Daiwa 14 Daiwa Caldia 3012H gear detached from shafts. 
The teeth of the gear are still in pretty gd condition.
Use less than a yrs, I only do fresh water luring.
Main target peacock & toman.
Does anyone have the same experience ?

• Devilzken
    edited April 2017
    Looks like the welding not strong or got some faults while in production
    I dun tink can fix already. Need to order parts liao
  • AGV
    Unlikely is welded  . It is somehow inserted with sleeve at the gear and hold the pins at the shafts. (See those holes at the shaft)
  • Devilzken
    edited April 2017
    It suppose to b 1 part as shown on the pic. I doubt it can be removed. Something must b broken.
    * I can't attach the pic  :|
  • AGV
    For sure something break.Pretty disappoint trying to find this spare part. So far the tackle shop I approached seem reluctant to bring in the parts as waiting time is 6 months long .... I asked a locate servicer, feedback the drive gear & pinion comes in 1 set and estimate $200  :s
    Which ... might as well as new one 

Currently with my friend and see whether is it still possible to "stick" it back . 

Went in to plat Web site and the gear is not within order list  :'(

• DaZ Fishing
    This is a Mag Sealed Reel, thus it is hard to get some of the parts for this reel as Daiwa supplies to Service center only
  • AGV
    edited April 2017
    Yes.. that what plat reply to me as well.... send back to Japan over a $280 reel is point less ... throw away is a waste ....

Even when I send back for warranty, tackle shop reply according to Daiwa salesman this is user fault. And handle cannot rotate out due to free turning of the damage gear, very hard to open the reel. So repair is chargeable ....
     (before decided to dismantle on my own)
    This is the 1st time I open up the gear box of the reel & it just took me estimate an hrs to do so only.
    So what is the point of warranty? 
    And by the loOK of the gear, this seem more like a manufacturing deflect.

That why I bought another BG 3000 ....  reasonable price reasonable strenght no mag seal ... anyway I dun see the point of mag seal for my application.  

And is 100% cheaper than caldia 
  • JJJVM
    edited April 2017
    if i like tat reel so much maybe i will get a same model for that reel and the broken one will be my spare part ,i didt really mind those reel with or without warranty, i have a vry bad exp on this service , even my reel got problem now i will order the part and fix myself , is a longgggg wait for the warranty service maybe end up have to pay for the part ur own or shipping
  • AGV
    True enough ... but eventually still cost to cost justification . No point repair while a new one = to repair. I would said the design is gd , strenght is great but I lost confident with the gear structure . 

I tried my new Daiwa BG, the strength is great . Since before discount is about $140+ if is gone, easier to forget repairing it. 
  • extractor
    Mag seal is basically the body

All reel manufacturers cannot manufacture a different gear set for every single reel model, to cut cost, one spare part is being implemented into many different models, in fact many parts are interchangeable between different models of the same range.

Even the old model gears are being still used on new models with a change of the body only. 

This gear set looks very similar to my old certate... for all we know it is the same spare part.

Talk to someone who service reels, maybe they can recognize which other reels uses the same spare parts and you can order from there.

• monstrad
    AGV said:
    Yes.. that what plat reply to me as well.... send back to Japan over a $280 reel is point less ... throw away is a waste ....

Even when I send back for warranty, tackle shop reply according to Daiwa salesman this is user fault. And handle cannot rotate out due to free turning of the damage gear, very hard to open the reel. So repair is chargeable ....
     (before decided to dismantle on my own)
    This is the 1st time I open up the gear box of the reel & it just took me estimate an hrs to do so only.
    So what is the point of warranty? 
    And by the loOK of the gear, this seem more like a manufacturing deflect.

That why I bought another BG 3000 ....  reasonable price reasonable strenght no mag seal ... anyway I dun see the point of mag seal for my application.  

And is 100% cheaper than caldia 

​daiwa is known for their poor/slow aftersales service unlike shimano.

I have no problem with shimano warranty claims, no question asked

I accidentally drop my vanquish on floor and unable to crank smoothly, got it fix foc under 1yr warranty period

exchanged a stella spool foc for minor salt corrosion under 1yr warrantry period

replaced speedmaster and basstera broken rod under 2 yr warranty, pay 25% each

• Devilzken
    Shimano got the best aft sales service imo
  • dingo35
    Devilzken said:
    Shimano got the best aft sales service imo
    ​Thats one of the reason I sworn off all Daiwa Reals.
  • extractor
    Each have their own pro and cons...

Shimano stock their spare parts for only 5 years... after 5 years most of their reels have no value bcos of spare parts issues. So best to sell them before 5 years is up or never buy too old 2nd hand models... haha...  

Daiwa stock their spare parts for 10 years so not so bad...

Penn the most tok kong... Spare parts still available even after many many yonks.... 
  • monstrad
    Have no problems sending old shimano reels back for servicing.

Buying spareparts is more for parallel imported reels. Infact daiwa/shimano sg distributors refuse to order/ sell spareparts to u unless u r regular customer. N even so it takes months for a simple part like bail arm spring. This is to discourage pple from buying pi sets.