Drag for 20-40kg groupers

Tekkai
hi guys. What is the minimum drag required to catch groupers around 20-40kg? Would be nice if you can recommend a strong grouper reel. Is daiwa saltiga 5000 good for grouper? Thanks! 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Hello, sorry for the late reply, you'd be better off with a large overhead reel with 100lb to 150lb mainline. PE8 to PE12. 

You can pull with a 5000 Daiwa, just have line capacity and 100lb to 150lb mainline. 

I have seen 20 kilo Groupers come up with a Calcutta 300.
  • Tekkai
    edited January 2017
    Hello, sorry for the late reply, you'd be better off with a large overhead reel with 100lb to 150lb mainline. PE8 to PE12. 

You can pull with a 5000 Daiwa, just have line capacity and 100lb to 150lb mainline. 

I have seen 20 kilo Groupers come up with a Calcutta 300.
    ​haha thanks for replying! Better late than never! I have 3 other reels, accurate dx2-600n with 80lbs braid, accurate bx-600 with 70-75lbs braid. Will these be enough? Last resort will be the okuma makaira 30II sea with 100lbs braid. I try not to use it cause it is abit bulky and it is a right handed reel.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Yes I used 65lb, on my Accurate. But 40 kilo Grouper bro you are going to need some muscle with huge sinkers. 
  • Tekkai
    Yes I used 65lb, on my Accurate. But 40 kilo Grouper bro you are going to need some muscle with huge sinkers. 
    ​Haha yea man i wanna challenge myself since i do gym
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Tekkai said:
    ​Haha yea man i wanna challenge myself since i do gym
    ​Keep us updated. This sounds interesting.