Cleaning of reel.

frz1
edited November 2016 in Reels
How do you guys actually clean your reels and lines after your SW trips? Do you guys let it run under running tap then dry it and oil it back Or wet cloth and wipe the bodies? I actually just bought a stella and dont wana bust this reel as what i did to my 15 stradic. Just let it run under running tap thts all. At times only i oil it. Thats why the bearings all busted. Any suggestions? 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I close the drag, and put tap on and slowly rinse. Look for salt X as well. It's a spray.

If you can remove your line.

What I do sometimes is in salt water, on my last cast I get my friend to pour freshwater on my last retrieve.
  • frz1
    ouh. Alright sure. Isit ok to soak the spool with warm water? Hmmm? 
  • Romanion
    edited November 2016
    Please don't soak the spool nor the reel. water will go into your drag and make it sticky and not smooth when fish is pulling out your drag.

if you want to soak the line, despool it first then soak the line
  • Yippe
    I would de-spool more than the amount of last cast on spare hand line spool, soak for 10min in a basin.
    using a pieces of long wooden stick, push through the spool (half spool still soak in water) then crank back line with dry cloth.
  • frz1
    Then i guess i shall just despool maybe 10-15m more frm my last cast then. Hw abt the bodies? Do you guys just wash it or wipe it with cloth then monthly do a thorough cleaning? 
  • frz1
    Then i guess i shall just despool maybe 10-15m more frm my last cast then. Hw abt the bodies? Do you guys just wash it or wipe it with cloth then monthly do a thorough cleaning? 
  • Romanion
    For freshwater, I don't really wash or clean much, just occasional thorough servicing every half a year or so.
    for saltwater, I tighten the drag and put the reel under the running clean water for a minute. Oil both line roller and knob once home. Thorough servicing after 2-3 trips.
  • frz1
    Romanion said:
    For freshwater, I don't really wash or clean much, just occasional thorough servicing every half a year or so.
    for saltwater, I tighten the drag and put the reel under the running clean water for a minute. Oil both line roller and knob once home. Thorough servicing after 2-3 trips.
    ​Ok sure. Thanks bro! 
  • SportAngler
    After raise with warm water, I will remove the spool and drag to dry. After a few trip I will re grease the drag with Cal's grease (Just a little).
  • oceanus
    I use spray water with spray bottles used fro gardening. After that, I wipe my reels dry and air them overnight. After saltwater fishing, I remove the spool and sock them in freshwater overnight and air dry for another day.