would like to try tenya, help please!

kahawai
hi, 
I'd like to try tenya on an upcoming trip in changi waters. i have a few questions:

1. As i don't boat fish regularly i prefer not to buy a rod & reel specially for this. Can i use my lure fishing outfit for this?  I have a 6ft, 1-2kg rated aussie bream rod, and a 2000 sized reel. I also have BC lure rod, 6ft 6in 8-17lb rating.
2. what size/weight tenyas should i buy? and how many for 1 trip?
3. can bait fishos and tenya fishing be carried out at same time? some of the other fishermen would be doing bottom.
4. do i need to bring a heavy/bottom outfit as well?

thanks in advance for any replies!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    edited October 2016
    Check out this link: http://forum.fishingkaki.com/discussion/comment/1316442/

=====================
    Questions:

1. As i don't boat fish regularly i prefer not to buy a rod & reel specially for this. Can i use my lure fishing outfit for this?  I have a 6ft, 1-2kg rated aussie bream rod, and a 2000 sized reel. I also have BC lure rod, 6ft 6in 8-17lb rating.

2. what size/weight tenyas should i buy? and how many for 1 trip?

3. can bait fishos and tenya fishing be carried out at same time? some of the other fishermen would be doing bottom.

4. do i need to bring a heavy/bottom outfit as well?
    =====================

1. Yes

2. 30 Gram Range (You may be able to get away with a 60 Gram Tenya, so get 2 of those

3. Absolutely yes, just watch the drift and you have to slowly release your line to find the fish "Uluh"

4. No need unless you have one and want to manage 2 setups at a time which I always stay away from.

Hope this helps.
  • Romanion
    Id suggest using your 8-17lb. Tenya.. Anywhere from 40-80g should be good. Usually 4-5 pieces should be more than sufficent.

bottom and Tenya definitely can be done together
  • Michael Lim
    edited October 2016
    Stick to the BC, load up with about 6 to 15lb braided line, leaders should be about 20 - 30lb (heavier may be needed if bottom is pretty rough)

I use sizes from #8 to #25 depending on condition (current, wind etc) and also how deep the place is.  Note that if the current is slower, it's more conducive for tenya's.  The fast currents tat baiters prefer will not be good for you as your tenya will fly all over the place.

I would advise a mix of sizes for a start, 2 each of say #8, #10, #12, #15, #20.  Some would just go for 2 x 60gm, 2 x 80gm and mebbe 2 x 100gm.

Drop it all the way to the bottom, lift and let it fall back and wait.  Repeat till you get bites.
  • kahawai
    Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate it. 
     Is it better to go on a slow current date then? Sounds like strong tides would not suit tenya. Or is changi area ok with max 80g  tenya irrespective of moon phase/current?
  • kahawai
    Another question- I see videos where the prawn tail is pulled off. Why is this?  Wouldn't this kill the prawn more quickly? Is it advisable to pull off or leave it on?