Avet versus Accurate jigging reel

kbng
When buying US made reels, many people like me would check their US prices and compare them with what local tackle shops are selling. The local authorised dealer would determine the price, so that if the price is set rediculously high, even my favourite tackle shop cannot help much.

Initially I was interested in the Accurate Valiant 300. It looks well made, but I don't like the boring silver colour and the machine finishes which look like hand made finishes but very uncool. No other colour available. The Accurate reel is very smooth and silent, more like Japanese than American, and weighs almost nothing, which you must agree, is very good.

Fed up with Accurate's very high mark up, I went for the alternative. Avet Raptor. In US, both reels have the same price point of USD 400. In the end I bought the Avet and was surprised at the very reasonable price Sabre Stroker is selling. Even though priced the same in US, Avet is $100 cheaper than Accurate here. No brainer. That's why I chose Avet!

On paper the Avet has higher maximum drag, 26 lb versus 24 (  and almost 2x Ocea Jigger 1500 drag of 15 lb) comes with 2 speed, and looks like my old Penn International! 

The price difference can only be explained by perhaps "higher snob value" of Accurate reels in Singapore. But I rather have the Avet, also made in USA, and it is way more macho!
  • Romanion
    Accurate Valiant got a few colors actually, silver red, black, etc.

Avet's 26lb drag might be calculated based on an almost empty spool, showing a much higher rated drag than actual?
  • LowKumFatt
    kbng said:
    When buying US made reels, many people like me would check their US prices and compare them with what local tackle shops are selling. The local authorised dealer would determine the price, so that if the price is set rediculously high, even my favourite tackle shop cannot help much.

Initially I was interested in the Accurate Valiant 300. It looks well made, but I don't like the boring silver colour and the machine finishes which look like hand made finishes but very uncool. No other colour available. The Accurate reel is very smooth and silent, more like Japanese than American, and weighs almost nothing, which you must agree, is very good.

Fed up with Accurate's very high mark up, I went for the alternative. Avet Raptor. In US, both reels have the same price point of USD 400. In the end I bought the Avet and was surprised at the very reasonable price Sabre Stroker is selling. Even though priced the same in US, Avet is $100 cheaper than Accurate here. No brainer. That's why I chose Avet!

On paper the Avet has higher maximum drag, 26 lb versus 24 (  and almost 2x Ocea Jigger 1500 drag of 15 lb) comes with 2 speed, and looks like my old Penn International! 

The price difference can only be explained by perhaps "higher snob value" of Accurate reels in Singapore. But I rather have the Avet, also made in USA, and it is way more macho!
    ​Accurate comes with warranty and servicing. Avet if i am not wrong doesnt. 
    For the difference in $100, u get a 3 year warranty, free servicing. 
    I am not taking sides but i think $100 for 3 years worth of warranty and servicing is pretty worth it. 
    Some guys prefer buying a car from local dealer. Some guys prefer taking the risk and buy a car PI. 
    Just my 2 cents worth of opinion. 
  • kbng
    Its true the local agent provides for comprehensive service and maintenance for Accurate. But you already get the same comprehensive service in US and yet still pay only USD 400 for the Accurate Valiant there. The Avet sells also for USD400 in US with normal warranty. That's why I think if you put both reels on an equal footing, you are paying $100 more for Accurate Valiant in Sg. So this $100 is pure mark up, and not an extra.

The Accurate Valiant was my first choice. They don't have black colour. And I just find their pricing unreasonable.
  • aj123
    I just came back from AOF. Was informed that the red and the black will be in next week. :smile:  am waiting and compared to the silver/black, before getting. :wink: