BINTULU GEAR ADVICE

nalonglee
Hi kakis, need advice on bintulu oilrig gears. Will be going there next year for 5 days.

What are the recommended PE? Recommended spool size? 
Line poundage? 
Jigs?

Any recommendation of rods and reels for jigging and also can pakaliao bottom fishing? Not looking for 'atas' setup. But instead cheap yet reliable as only go for once a year trip. Budget $500-600 for a set. The lower the better. Hehe many thanks kakis! 
  • Staphylococcus
    Hi there,

Can check out my blog report on Bintulu oil rigs.

http://glensfishingadventures.blogspot.sg/2016/04/bintulu-marine-harvest-trip-1-new.html

Just remember that when you up your braid line poundage, the braid diameter increases too. This could limit the amount of line you can fill your reel spool unless your reel has a lot of capacity. Or find a high poundage braid with thin diameter line.
  • nalonglee
    Hi there,

Can check out my blog report on Bintulu oil rigs.

http://glensfishingadventures.blogspot.sg/2016/04/bintulu-marine-harvest-trip-1-new.html

Just remember that when you up your braid line poundage, the braid diameter increases too. This could limit the amount of line you can fill your reel spool unless your reel has a lot of capacity. Or find a high poundage braid with thin diameter line.
    ​thank you sir. Ive read your blog before. Felt so motivated! Haha. For rod wise am not sure what to buy. Any reccomendation for cheap2 one? Reel i was planning to get saragosa 8k. 
  • Romanion
    you could check out Sapolo Crossing Strait rod at Joe tackle. Cheap and good, about $100+. Currently using the pe2-4 for bottom fishing
  • sharkbait
    nalonglee said:
    Hi kakis, need advice on bintulu oilrig gears. Will be going there next year for 5 days.

Line poundage? 
    Jigs?

Any recommendation of rods and reels for jigging and also can pakaliao bottom fishing? Not looking for 'atas' setup. But instead cheap yet reliable as only go for once a year trip. Budget $500-600 for a set. The lower the better. Hehe many thanks kakis! 
    ​Hi I just went bintulu this year.

These are my setup:
    Majorcraft Giant Killing PE 1.5-4 + Twinpower SW 4k + 300M Duel X8 PE.15 + Leader 40lb FC
    Ocean revolution PE8 jigging rod + Stella SW8k +16K SOM spool (PE4 & PE6 Line) + Leader 150lb FC
    60g to 300g Jigs

I went there purely jigging...

My recommendation:
    I suggest you get overhead reel for bottom, for spinning it would be an bitch to crank up from the bottom (100m ++ deep depending location)

Dont go light at oil rig at night. Because the monster there will strip and cut you off. You are looking at monster who eat Big eye trevally for nightsnack(Hint hint). You will need about 20kg lock drag. But sadly i didn't managed to land any biggie except some below 10kg GT and some big eye at oild rig.

Not all night they will be hitting oil rig. Due to security issue. Then prepare for night fishing like kuching where dog tooth tuna and yellow fins comes out and hunt. They particularly hitting slow far jigs and small fast jigs.

Amberjack seems to be like unicorn during my trip. Whole trip only 1 amberjack landed.

We landed a monster size Dog tooth on light tackle.

Good size GT on slowfall. Slowfall seems to be good at night.

Watch how Dog tooth tuna wreck temple reef mytho jigging rod
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZ4p84Vnx8
  • nalonglee
    sharkbait said:
    nalonglee said:

Line poundage? 
    Jigs?

​Hi I just went bintulu this year.

These are my setup:
    Majorcraft Giant Killing PE 1.5-4 + Twinpower SW 4k + 300M Duel X8 PE.15 + Leader 40lb FC
    Ocean revolution PE8 jigging rod + Stella SW8k +16K SOM spool (PE4 & PE6 Line) + Leader 150lb FC
    60g to 300g Jigs

I went there purely jigging...

My recommendation:
    I suggest you get overhead reel for bottom, for spinning it would be an bitch to crank up from the bottom (100m ++ deep depending location)

Dont go light at oil rig at night. Because the monster there will strip and cut you off. You are looking at monster who eat Big eye trevally for nightsnack(Hint hint). You will need about 20kg lock drag. But sadly i didn't managed to land any biggie except some below 10kg GT and some big eye at oild rig.

Not all night they will be hitting oil rig. Due to security issue. Then prepare for night fishing like kuching where dog tooth tuna and yellow fins comes out and hunt. They particularly hitting slow far jigs and small fast jigs.

Amberjack seems to be like unicorn during my trip. Whole trip only 1 amberjack landed.

We landed a monster size Dog tooth on light tackle.

Good size GT on slowfall. Slowfall seems to be good at night.

Watch how Dog tooth tuna wreck temple reef mytho jigging rod
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZ4p84Vnx8
    ​wakao sibei steam see your pictures!!!!!! Thanks @sharkbait ;
  • sharkbait
    Day time oil rig are fun. Rainbow runners and bigeye are common. Do bring light tackle there to conserve energy at night.

60g green and chrome Majorcraft jigpara are killers for bonitos and doggies. Just make sure you have 300m of spool to play. 

OA sliders from kaiser gear also good for biggies at night. Lumo pink. 

I have more pictures. I see i can post more later at night.
  • Romanion
    @sharkbait what PE is that TR rod?
  • sharkbait
    Romanion said:
    @sharkbait what PE is that TR rod?
    ​Sorry. I cant remember liao. But what i know is the rod in the video is my kaki's 2nd  TR rod. His first rod was wreck by dogtooth during his previous bintulu trip.
  • lokh chiak
    Nice cr.  BTW any of u guys heading down next year to Bintulu? 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    edited October 2016
    Romanion said:
    you could check out Sapolo Crossing Strait rod at Joe tackle. Cheap and good, about $100+. Currently using the pe2-4 for bottom fishing
    ​I am looking for such good cheap bottom rods. You give good advice dude.