Recommended setup for maldives

dusk85
Anyone can advise the recommended setup to be used in maldives for popping? Is it necessary to bring an extra setup?
  • Luke Maow Bear
    dusk85 said:
    Anyone can advise the recommended setup to be used in maldives for popping? Is it necessary to bring an extra setup?
    Hello @dusk85 ;

Think of your setup in the weight of the lure that you will be using, and that's 120, 140 and the very heaviest is 160 Grams.

My advice to you is get a rod that can cast up to 160 Grams and chances are you will find a 160 Gram lure too heavy because with the hooks the rod won't push the lure the way you want it, you will need to test it.

So, buy lures; swimbaits and poppers at the max of 140 Grams which is just fine.

Bring 10 to 15 lures if you are bringing one rod, and that rod will be a swimbait rod, you can still pull small poppers without a problem. Use the size of your watch as an indication of the cup size, so the size of your watch should be the size of the cup size for a popper you plan to use on a swimbait rod.

Rod wise there are 2 main brands in Singapore, Carpenter which if you ask me is the number one choice of all anglers due to their resale value here followed by Ripple Fisher. I have both and it's fine whichever you choose.

I use 18k's but you can use a 14k which is completely ok as well.

Please use 85lb and up, don't go lower. I used to use 65lb but have paid the ultimate price a few times.

Leader start with 170lb and up, I use 130lb, but again, I have paid the ultimate price the second time.

Don't worry too much about hooks and what you hear, ST66's will hold the GT's in the Maldives.

You do not need an extra rod, I went with on my first trip.

Go to Mandai on the weekends to learn how to cast, I can introduce you to the community here.
  • dusk85
    dusk85 said:
    Hello @dusk85 ;

Think of your setup in the weight of the lure that you will be using, and that's 120, 140 and the very heaviest is 160 Grams.

My advice to you is get a rod that can cast up to 160 Grams and chances are you will find a 160 Gram lure too heavy because with the hooks the rod won't push the lure the way you want it, you will need to test it.

So, buy lures; swimbaits and poppers at the max of 140 Grams which is just fine.

Bring 10 to 15 lures if you are bringing one rod, and that rod will be a swimbait rod, you can still pull small poppers without a problem. Use the size of your watch as an indication of the cup size, so the size of your watch should be the size of the cup size for a popper you plan to use on a swimbait rod.

Rod wise there are 2 main brands in Singapore, Carpenter which if you ask me is the number one choice of all anglers due to their resale value here followed by Ripple Fisher. I have both and it's fine whichever you choose.

I use 18k's but you can use a 14k which is completely ok as well.

Please use 85lb and up, don't go lower. I used to use 65lb but have paid the ultimate price a few times.

Leader start with 170lb and up, I use 130lb, but again, I have paid the ultimate price the second time.

Don't worry too much about hooks and what you hear, ST66's will hold the GT's in the Maldives.

You do not need an extra rod, I went with on my first trip.

Go to Mandai on the weekends to learn how to cast, I can introduce you to the community here.
    Hi Luke, 

Thanks for the info. I will pm you.

Regards,
    Dusk
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Ok bro, I gave you my number and we can chat there. Welcome to the Popping Community. 
  • eyowfk
    Depends if you are going for Spot Fishinig or onboard mother boat (Leisure)...

For jigging.. you can bring as light as PE0.8 to PE6. For popping.. you can bring as light as PE4-6 to PE10
    14K  more than enough.. (rather overkill)
    My next trip in Dec with N2. When is yours and with who...?

My advise, Jigging: PE2 4 & 6. PE6-8 for stick bait and PE8 for popping.
    Optional to bring along with luring, slowfall, and light jigging.

My preference: PE1, 3 5 for brand like Yamaga Blank and PE2, 4 & 6 for brand like Ripple.... 
    Ripple is lightly softer compare to Yamaga.

Jig: From 28g to 400g. Mixture of long/slim type for fast jigging (120-150g) and short/tick for long stroke (160-320g)
    Those with lumo strap ones are good during day and night
    Popper: 120g-160g depending on your rod ability. 
    Stickbait: (Float and sink) 46g-150g depending on your rod ability
    Treble Hook: 4, 5 & 6 (I prefer barbless, easy to penetrate, it doest hurt much to the fish and safety)
    Jig Hook: Nothing much, as it depends on your jig
    Nylon: 150-170lb (150 more than enough. Fisherman or Sunline... NOT YGK )

• dusk85
    eyowfk said:
    Depends if you are going for Spot Fishinig or onboard mother boat (Leisure)...

For jigging.. you can bring as light as PE0.8 to PE6. For popping.. you can bring as light as PE4-6 to PE10
    14K  more than enough.. (rather overkill)
    My next trip in Dec with N2. When is yours and with who...?

My advise, Jigging: PE2 4 & 6. PE6-8 for stick bait and PE8 for popping.
    Optional to bring along with luring, slowfall, and light jigging.

My preference: PE1, 3 5 for brand like Yamaga Blank and PE2, 4 & 6 for brand like Ripple.... 
    Ripple is lightly softer compare to Yamaga.

Jig: From 28g to 400g. Mixture of long/slim type for fast jigging (120-150g) and short/tick for long stroke (160-320g)
    Those with lumo strap ones are good during day and night
    Popper: 120g-160g depending on your rod ability. 
    Stickbait: (Float and sink) 46g-150g depending on your rod ability
    Treble Hook: 4, 5 & 6 (I prefer barbless, easy to penetrate, it doest hurt much to the fish and safety)
    Jig Hook: Nothing much, as it depends on your jig
    Nylon: 150-170lb (150 more than enough. Fisherman or Sunline... NOT YGK )

Thanks for the info. Currently, I do not have kakis who are interested to go for this kind of big game...I most probably have to find a group whose willing to let me join in for the trip and I'm saving up $$ as well.
  • Aero Jet
    Hi bro, how many meter of line do we typically need for popping .... for GT and etc...
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Aero Jet said:
    Hi bro, how many meter of line do we typically need for popping .... for GT and etc...

300 Yards, unless you catch a 100 kilo Yellowfin, you will be ok. 

I use 80lbs, please use at least a. 14k, it's the cranking power you are after. 
  • Aero Jet
    Aero Jet said:

300 Yards, unless you catch a 100 kilo Yellowfin, you will be ok. 

I use 80lbs, please use at least a. 14k, it's the cranking power you are after. 
    Thanks bro.
  • vincelin2662
    dusk85 said: Is it necessary to bring an extra setup

***Hi there,IMHO....it's better n adviceable to bring along another spare set jus in case or wat if -

1) rod gets mishandled due to negligence or misplaced,1 pc becomes 2 pcs etc....
    2) reel gets jammed,broken or cracked.
    3) line got stripped off by monster fishes.....
    4) fishing set follows e monster fish hm instead of u....
    5) spend so much money there to see other anglers fish wit their own fav set up....(although other angler can lend u his)
    6) can use suitable set up for targeting diff fishes....(more enjoyable)

Unless...u hv only 1 set of gear,then jus bring along some spare spool of line wil do.....***

Jus my 1 cts info....up to each individual's preference.

Rgds,

vincelin2662