maldives light jigging

frz1
edited February 2016 in Jigging & Popping
Need some advice/recommendation/feedback on light jigging in maldives. Will be heading to maldives for holidays and planning to do some light jigging there. Can any bros out there who frequent there or been there do light jigging. Wont be getting onboard on those big boats or wtv stuffs you guys call it. Will be staying on a local island maafushi. What is the recommended set up for light jigging there, what size jig should be used there. Im currently using a expert graphite butterfly PE0.8-1.5 pair with a 15stradicfk might gona load it with YGK super jigman x8 PE0.6 - 14lb with a 20lb or 25lb Kureha Seaguar Grand Max FX. And what size sinkers are to be used there as my wife will be playing bottom only.
Really hope theres someone out there could help me out on this.
Many many thanks in advance!!
  • frz1
    I know i will be missing all the biggies there with this setup. Most likely will be renting their gears for heavy duty fishing.
  • frz1
    Anyone experienced or those who ever did went there for some light jigging. Really need help on this. Thanks.
  • Freakomin
    edited February 2016
    Hi, unfortunately.. I have never been there before but this person might be able to help you Nop Karnjanabhan... He's a Thai angler and guide and he knows a lot about Maldives... You can search his name on Google and maybe contact hin through his Facebook and ask him questions as he can also speak English...I know that you're not planning on having a guide but u still can ask him about the equipment needed to use..idk if he can help you but i hope he'll be able to help you :)
  • Freakomin
    If you want to see a bit of video of fishing in Maldives, search 'Thai Angler' on YouTube and click on his channel - Scroll down to a video posted 4 months ago and there will be a thumbnail that says 'fishing in Maldives'
  • frz1
    Alright thnks bro. But sadly i dnt use fb. Lol! Nvm la i shall patiently wait for someone in fk to share their exp. And still try to find any stuffs about this. Thanks bro.
  • bigsplash
    to my understanding, u r not allowed to fish from shore. part of the government's plan to protect their coast..but there is little to no policing..so..stay observant of your surrounding..if kena caught, can always act blur,can always play the tourist card.

u still see people posting their reports, but they are usually fishing on islands with no one staying on..so that's fine.

i presume u are staying in a guesthouse? they will be able to arrange a boat to bring u to one of these islands..many many in maldives..

casting light jigs from shore is fun, but rarely get anything big.. usually 1-3kg range so a shimano 2500 size reel with 15lb line is enough. only recommendation is to go for a 8-9ft rod so that u can easily reach the end of the reefs..

for jigs..hard to say which 1 works better..but generally, there are many fish in maldives..so any brand should work..lol

long casting minnows are good fun as well..pintail/sasuke etc..

actually, imho, maldives alot of fish..throw anything also got chance 1...

enjoy your trip..tight lines
  • frz1
    bigsplash" said:
    to my understanding, u r not allowed to fish from shore. part of the government's plan to protect their coast..but there is little to no policing..so..stay observant of your surrounding..if kena caught, can always act blur,can always play the tourist card.

u still see people posting their reports, but they are usually fishing on islands with no one staying on..so that's fine.

i presume u are staying in a guesthouse? they will be able to arrange a boat to bring u to one of these islands..many many in maldives..

casting light jigs from shore is fun, but rarely get anything big.. usually 1-3kg range so a shimano 2500 size reel with 15lb line is enough. only recommendation is to go for a 8-9ft rod so that u can easily reach the end of the reefs..

for jigs..hard to say which 1 works better..but generally, there are many fish in maldives..so any brand should work..lol

long casting minnows are good fun as well..pintail/sasuke etc..

actually, imho, maldives alot of fish..throw anything also got chance 1...

enjoy your trip..tight lines
    Ive alr asked my host if shore fishing is allowed he said its allowed. Thanks bro for the advice. Gg to other islands where theres nobody to fish is a for sure thing. Lol!
  • kudepadi
    It's okay to fish from the shore on Maafushi. My advice is for you to go on one of those night fishing packages offered by the local resort.. usually goes for about USD50 per pax. The rigs for bottom are usually provided for such package. If the current is okay, you can have a go with jigs around 20-60lb but be careful, you might catch something big. Bring along some minnows/pintail to cast from shore.