pe line

frz1
edited February 2016 in Jigging & Popping
Hi guys... does anyone uses this line.. unitaka univenture super PE jigging x4 ?
Im thinking of using this for shore jigging and some light jigging offshore. Hows the rating for this line? Or anyone has any recommendation.
Thanks.
  • Devilzken
    Not bad line. My fren tried it. Or u can get varivas x4 or x8 jigging
  • frz1
    Icic... what you mean by not bad? Average not bad or good not bad. Hahaha.
  • Freakomin
    Idk the difference between a jigging line and casting line but....I use Varivas Avani Sea Bass Premium PE1... And I really really like it...it's very strong.... Managed to land a 7kg redtail catfish with no problem.... When I cast my lure out and the line gets stuck on one of the guides, the line also doesn't snap..very strong However, the colour fades really quickly but that doesn't matter as it doesn't affect any performance... Varivas is a reliable brand if your budget is enough. Hope this helps :)
  • frz1
    Freakomin" said:
    Idk the difference between a jigging line and casting line but....I use Varivas Avani Sea Bass Premium PE1... And I really really like it...it's very strong.... Managed to land a 7kg redtail catfish with no problem.... When I cast my lure out and the line gets stuck on one of the guides, the line also doesn't snap..very strong However, the colour fades really quickly but that doesn't matter as it doesn't affect any performance... Varivas is a reliable brand if your budget is enough. Hope this helps :)
    Alright thanks freakomin.
  • Devilzken
    frz1" said:
    Icic... what you mean by not bad? Average not bad or good not bad. Hahaha.
    It's good not bad lol. 2 ppl might use the same line but got diff opinions . There are not really a ultimate line in the market tats suits everyone.

Jigging and casting line are diff as casting tends to b a bit thicker. Can't use jigging line for casting u will snap till u cry
  • frz1
    Devilzken" said:
    [quote="frz1"]Icic... what you mean by not bad? Average not bad or good not bad. Hahaha.
    It's good not bad lol. 2 ppl might use the same line but got diff opinions . There are not really a ultimate line in the market tats suits everyone.

Jigging and casting line are diff as casting tends to b a bit thicker. Can't use jigging line for casting u will snap till u cry[/quote]

Ahhh.... ive been using 832 but thinking to change to other lines.. 832 have been serving me very well just tht after few mths of usage the line tend to buff up quite alot.
  • Devilzken
    832 is a good line for fw luring. Jigging u need thinner lines for the jig to go down faster
  • frz1
    That is why im thinking to get a thinner diam line. But no idea which. Been searching online for PE lines. Am looking for a poundage of about 15lbs. Nth lesser than 12lbs.
  • Devilzken
    Varivas jigging pe x4 or x8 won't go wrong
  • Strider
    i use this for micro.

i like the line. very smooth to the touch and seems to repel water. u can see water beads on the line. very nice lines. very good to cast as it is smooth and does not fray so much even when wet. the ultra jig man frays more.

they breaking strength is more igfa rated so breaks as stated at the poundage and unlike some of the lines mentioned which seems to have a higher breaking rating for the same pe no.

its good line.

u can also try vergase tune x8. trying that too.
  • frz1
    Strider" said:
    i use this for micro.

i like the line. very smooth to the touch and seems to repel water. u can see water beads on the line. very nice lines. very good to cast as it is smooth and does not fray so much even when wet. the ultra jig man frays more.

they breaking strength is more igfa rated so breaks as stated at the poundage and unlike some of the lines mentioned which seems to have a higher breaking rating for the same pe no.

its good line.

u can also try vergase tune x8. trying that too.
    Sorry bro youre refering to which line? The varivas, 832 or the unitaka i mentioned. Hahaha.
  • frz1
    Aside from unitaka and varivas. How about ygk ultra jigman X8?
  • Strider
    Mentioning abt unitaka.

on your ultrajigman x8, i find it frays wet although still tough but feels psychologically funny la.

u shld also check out vergase x8. very smooth like unitaka, have it on one of my reels, have not used it yet.
  • frz1
    Strider" said:
    Mentioning abt unitaka.

on your ultrajigman x8, i find it frays wet although still tough but feels psychologically funny la.

u shld also check out vergase x8. very smooth like unitaka, have it on one of my reels, have not used it yet.
    Bro ive pm you regarding the line. Thanks.
  • Strider
    jin jia paiseh... veragass

anyway, from tackle shop koh yok, the more expensive the line, its supposed to last longer. hmm...

frankly its 2 x unitaka. so u can change twice hahah
  • Michael Lim
    There are differences in each type of line and you'd have to see which qualities you need out of the line for your purpose.

4 carrier or 4X means it has 4 main strands which are then braided together into a single line. Such lines will risk breakage more easily if one of the carrier or more is damaged. But yet, there are users in US which will choose a 4 carrier line over a 8 carrier one as it will cut thru weeds better. It is often squarish in shape and may run thru the guides a lil more noisily.

8 carrier or 8X lines means it has 8 strands which are then braided into a tighter weave. This often means the line runs a lil more smoother and is much rounder in shape. Cost wise, 8 carriers are the pricier choices over the 4 or 3 carrier lines.

Casting lines may have a better coating as it needs to travel thru the guides quite a bit and tolerances of stretch can be a little more lax.

Jigging lines tends to require less stretch in the water, esp when the line has to go down deep waters and still connect to the jig to perform it's actions smoothly. A limp line would also be very useful as it works the action.

Look at what you need more and how much you are willing to spend, then make a choice and try it out. After some use, you'll decide if it's the correct choice and then opt to either stick with the line or buy a different one.
  • alien36706
    Bought and tested the Varivas avani jigging x8. We loaded both 16lbs and 20lbs into a 2 size 3000 reel respectively. Tested the breaking strength using a digital scale. Not sure if its the correct term. How we test is that we tie 1 end of the line to the digital scale and started pulling whilst tightening the drag gradually and stop tightening the drag once it reaches 4-6lbs on the digital scale. Then we gave it a few big tug and pull out the line fast somewhat imitating a fish striking to see if it snaps. The other person holding the rod gives it a few good set. It seems that 16lbs line will snap at approx 5lbs and 20lbs line will snap at approx 6lbs. Wonder if the Jap lines are made to be more delicate as it is really thin in diameter or are we simply not used to Japanese lines? (PS been using powerpros, spiderwires, firelines previously)
  • Devilzken
    It depends on your knot also. Preferably connect wif a leader cos the boga might have edges to cut the line during force
  • alien36706
    We connected main line to shock leader using FG and measured using a digital scale with no edges. What we are so curious about is what was the testing method the maker use to determine the line lbs to be at 16 or 20lbs.
  • Devilzken
    Mm tats something new to mi. All the while been using varivas 4x4 no prob
  • Devilzken
    Even fireline 6 lbs snap at ard 10 plus lbs. Mayb u got a bad lot
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Yeah, my 6lb Fireline has been solid for ages.
  • alien36706
    This was on my mind too. A bad lot but too coincidental for my liking as both 16lbs and 20lbs was bought months apart. Also, it was bought from a reputable shop in sg. Never had issues with fireline. Tried 6 lbs b4 and worked well for us except for some loss of color once the exterior coating comes off. Spiderwire was also very solid for us and these brands are cheaper as compared to varivas.
  • Devilzken
    I suggest of u haven used my the line can go down and see if can do an exchange
  • alien36706
    No hope already used the lines. Not thinking of exchange but more baffled at the line strength. Felt cheated actually LOL. Maybe just my luck.
  • Devilzken
    Lol the bad lot on the shelf no ppl buy then u buy few month in between also kena same batch :blush:
  • alien36706
    Really got so suay?? Anyhow, sent an enquiry to Varivas and the UK fella that responded wasn't too friendly or happy with me testing the lines. His first question was WHY is there a need to test the Line and IF the line ACTUALLY snap during fishing (-_-") To Varivas, the break strength of a line can only be tested using their Shimadzu machine in the labs so all our test is not accurate and cannot be taken into consideration. LOL...like that then how to set drag level? Believe their test is for testing tensile strength. To my understanding, tensile strength = how far can the line be stretched before it snaps and believe that test means a constant pull at a constant force. So meaning it does not take into account the force at hookset????
  • Devilzken
    If u got no confidence in the line next time just skip tat brand. There's still lots of line out there, super fireline, 832, unitika,pp 8 slick
  • alien36706
    Not exactly skipping the brand. Varivas is a good brand in IMO. Just looking to clarify that's all since the ones I've got doesn't seem to make the mark except the diameter and smoothness is really impressive. Actually if it actually meets the break strength indicated it would be a darn gd line to use. Next time maybe try Unitika. Seems to be highly recommended by some.
  • frz1
    Why nt try duel hardcore ? So far it serve me well..