14k VS 18k 2013 Stella

nelsonlimjinwei
edited November 2015 in Jigging & Popping
hi guys,

Why do some people use the 18k Stella and some use the 14k Stella. Other then weight and line cap. Why do some use the 18k when it's about 200g heavier.

Just would like some insight into what's the difference.

Thanks to the pros here for the insight in advance. :)
  • ckjh
    nelsonlimjinwei" said:
    hi guys,

Why do some people use the 18k Stella and some use the 14k Stella. Other then weight and line cap. Why do some use the 18k when it's about 200g heavier.

14k and 18k have different line capacity. Which means you can load probably 200 of pe8 and 280 of pe 8.

Next, the size of 14k is similar to 8k , 10k. As we know the gears in the body are different to the bigger 18k.
    18k are meant to take (high drag) and deliver a lot more hurt.

Bigger gears will mean heavier reel. The drags on both reels are totally different in poundage.
  • bigsplash
    for me, it depends alot on the lure size and lure type as im very particular about balance of whole set up

example, using a 83ml rod , with cast wt 120-180g

lure size

if using 120g stick bait, i will use 14000XG
    if using 180g stick bait, i will use 18000HG

1. the reel will help balance the lure weight, so its "easier" to load the rod
    if using 14000xg with 180g lure, will need more power to initiate the cast

2. 120g and 180g will swim different in terms of distance u can work it
    120g covers more distance in water with every stroke because of its weight
    so XG reel is needed to chase the slack
    180g is heavy and weekend warriors like me usually not able to pull in much, so HG reel is enough to reel in the slack line

lure type

chuggers will automatically be paired with the 18000hg

during popping, boat is at drift

u can in front, chug back, and most of the time, chugger will end up behind boat
    with a XG reel, reeling back the chugger is gg to be a maathaafaaking pain...

hope i helped!

cheers~
  • benscorpio99
    nelsonlimjinwei" said:
    hi guys,

I would think its the practical drag difference.
    18k have higher drag as compared to 14k when fully locked.
    More likely to pair the 18k with pe10-12 rod which also true in a way that they are meant to throw heavier lures.
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Thanks on all the advice. Appreciate it lots. I'm going get a PE10 popping rod in the future and was thinking of what to pair it up with.

Currently have a EP 82/38 paired with a 14k Stella. Was wondering if I could pair a PE10 rod with the 14k Stella and pair my EP with a 5500 saltiga expedition.

Thanks again for all the bros!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Once I went 18k I never turned back. I don't even look at the 14k as an option; but that is me. I love how the 18k is so strong and balances me out. But as benscorpio mentioned use it by matching rods.
  • Bwky
    @luke you different. so manly. man reels and man stick.

@nelsonlimjinwei
    10k body size (meaning 8k-14k) is meant for light works. pe4-6.

18k body size (18k-20k) is meant for pe6 up. why i say pe 6 up is because sometimes you need the line cap, i.e. for tuna usage. vs breaking strength for gt usage.
  • EdHCNg
    There is a significant difference when you are hooked onto a big GT with a 18K vs 14K (Daiwa equivalent 5000 size). The 18K will have more cranking power, whereas other size reels will have a situation that you can't even crank.

I use an 18K and Daiwa 5000 size. It's not just the reel size, it's about the rod & reel balance. If you pair a heavy poundage rod with a small reel, it's feels weird and counter your casting.

I'll typically have a 2 setups to rotate to give my body some resting periods:

18K + Coral Viper 79/40 + Stickbait 120g-140g
    Catalina 5000 + Hot's 83H + Stickbait 75g - 120g

Ultimately, it's not what other people use, it's what's comfortable for you.

Hope that helps.
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Thanks all bros who gave their opinions.

In the end, more considerations on how to pair my setup.

:D :lol:
  • ckjh
    Ive fished coral viper with 14k, 16k (som) even 18.
    Used my kll ep 82/42 with 3 of the reels too. All works. Then again I used 14k with pe8 also, never get empty spool before. Imo there is no light popping when we are talking about 8k body. When we talk like we talk about aquillas and carps bc, we use 4k-6k with 20-40lbs line

Its more on, the location if you need high drag to fight those buggers. On a few locations did I use 18k on near max drag and held on to my whole set up. But they seems unstoppable on the first run.
    But when your poppers are running low, go deeper waters and you can use smaller reels (8-16k)
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    I finally ended with the following setups;

1. Carpenter Endless Passion 82/38 + Stella 14k + Spooled in Varivas Abani GT SMP PE6
    Will be casting up to 120g stickbaits for my upcoming trip to maldives.

2. Gamakatsu Luxxe OCEAN Topgear 82XXH 8'2 + Stella 18k + Still deciding
    Any recommendations for main lines for my 18k? I intend to cast 140g and above stickbaits + 120g poppers for this setup.

I was thinking of spooling in the same PE6 line for my 18k Stella.

PS. I understand that the Gamakatsu rod is not for GTs but I was looking for something that could cast a little bit of poppers and stickbaits.

Any comments or tips?

Thank you for all the advice and tips that was brought up in the thread and it really helped a lot on my decision making. =D>
  • ckjh
    Firstly, i feel you are casting too light. if you intend to load the reel with pe 8-10 lines. at least 140-200g stick and 150 popper. But, of course we have to bring the rod into consideration .

2ndly, you have to be very sure what type of fish you are gonna target. Tuna or GTs. If you are gonna fish shallow , with pe 6. Then you may be actually asking for trouble. Gt fishing dont require much line cap. If they wanna cut you off, there is no way to stop them.

I will recommend you to go with a pe 6 and 8 set up, you will not know when you get lucky.
    The EP is good enough for casting 100-120 poppers.
  • nelsonlimjinwei

Thank you everyone for all the tips, advice and the pointers for my setups, casting technique, etc etc.

It really helped when I was there. It's a small fishing community. Ended up with a friend of a friend on the trip. :smiley:

More tips to come in the future.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Glad to hear bro! How was the feel of a GT?
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    @LukeMaowBear the sight of the GT split seconds before he hits the stickbait and you dont have time to even tension the line or lift up the rod, the moment the bugger hits the lure and the reels starts peeling off line even on max drag and the feeling of the rod being wrenched out off your hand. The sight of the tension line cutting through the water and the bubbles following the line. All this etched into my memory.... I am still thinking about it even after a month or when I am looking at my video... The poison is deeeeeepppp....And I love it. hahahahaha. :blush:
  • benscorpio99
    @LukeMaowBear the sight of the GT split seconds before he hits the stickbait and you dont have time to even tension the line or lift up the rod, the moment the bugger hits the lure and the reels starts peeling off line even on max drag and the feeling of the rod being wrenched out off your hand. The sight of the tension line cutting through the water and the bubbles following the line. All this etched into my memory.... I am still thinking about it even after a month or when I am looking at my video... The poison is deeeeeepppp....And I love it. hahahahaha. :blush:

Share your video with us bro.

Load onto youtube.

• Luke Maow Bear
    He is poisoned deeply. 
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Part 1

Part 2

• benscorpio99

ah very nice! Thanks.

Just came back from Maldives popping myself.

5 days popping caught 10 GTs 1 job fish 1 blue fine trevally and a red bass.

• nelsonlimjinwei
    Hehehe... thanks bro. Love it. 

Anyway where else can we pop for GTs? 
  • benscorpio99

Too many to name actually.

Indonesia have a lot of places if want to keep the price tag low.

GT biggies normally known in Oman Yeman and New Cal.

There are super expensive ones in Papua New Guinea and Australia.

• Luke Maow Bear
    The GT's in the Maldives seem to be growing and growing too. The pressure is there but because of more charters being there the place seems more protected than from before, strange huh. So the fishing pressure is up but the fish are more "protected" because the locals know it is less of a food fish and more a tourist attraction.

They still are popper shy from what I know and swimbaits work better all in all.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    bigsplash said:
    for me, it depends alot on the lure size and lure type as im very particular about balance of whole set up

example, using a 83ml rod , with cast wt 120-180g

lure size

if using 120g stick bait, i will use 14000XG
    if using 180g stick bait, i will use 18000HG

1. the reel will help balance the lure weight, so its "easier" to load the rod
    if using 14000xg with 180g lure, will need more power to initiate the cast

2. 120g and 180g will swim different in terms of distance u can work it
    120g covers more distance in water with every stroke because of its weight
    so XG reel is needed to chase the slack
    180g is heavy and weekend warriors like me usually not able to pull in much, so HG reel is enough to reel in the slack line

lure type

chuggers will automatically be paired with the 18000hg

during popping, boat is at drift

u can in front, chug back, and most of the time, chugger will end up behind boat
    with a XG reel, reeling back the chugger is gg to be a maathaafaaking pain...

hope i helped!

cheers~
    This is a very good reply.
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Ever heard of Tonga and is the place good for popping? 
  • benscorpio99

ya heard of it but never really read up on it. 

• nelsonlimjinwei
    Not much reports on Tonga. Other than the Shimano tester going there. 
  • Luke Maow Bear

Hmm seems they have some big GT's
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    That's the catch in Tonga?