Rod drag max

cheshire68
edited September 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Hi fellow anglers,

I have a gcraft ocean drive jerking shaft and it mention drag max 5kg? Does it mean 0° or 45° angle can take a load of 5kg? Thank you.

P.s it didnt mention the angle at the rod.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    It takes 5 kg of drag-force to bend the rod to 45 degrees assuming the fish is going down and you are holding the rod parallel to the water surface. As this is constantly changing, treat it as a guide, at 5 kilos of drag that's a pretty sturdy rod.
  • cheshire68
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    It takes 5 kg of drag-force to bend the rod to 45 degrees assuming the fish is going down and you are holding the rod parallel to the water surface. As this is constantly changing, treat it as a guide, at 5 kilos of drag that's a pretty sturdy rod.
    Thank you for the reply, Now its clear for me. Different with smith, gcraft dont mention the angle for the drag max. Thanks once again luke! cheers
  • Mick B
    Personally I ignore what is written on the rod.

My method is to fit the reel to the rod, run the line through the guides and tie the end to a solid object at floor level, then tighten the reel drag.

Next I fully bend (load) the rod and lift the butt to 45degrees, the line length must be adjusted to achieve the correct angle.

I then adjust (slacken) the reel drag so it just gives (slips) line off the spool while the rod is at the 45degree angle or less.

This process of co-ordinating the rod load with the reel drag has never failed me in over 20+ years of jigging.

Hope you can understand my method.

Good luck (from England).