Main lines for popping

nelsonlimjinwei
edited April 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Hi,

I am new to popping and currently this is my setup,
Stella 14k
Carpenter EP 85/36

I am currently looking at spooling in Power pro slick8 or varivas avani GT SMP PE6.

Any comments or better suggestions?
  • Andrewmj
    Hi there ,

So far Sunline Monster battle and avani GT Max both worked well for me in terms of casting and strength . ;)
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Thanks Andrewmj

I am thinking what other lines are there out there that we could use other then the premium lines available.

Anyone else has any experiences with other lines?
  • SportAngler
    I am using Jerry Brown 80lbs solid and ATC Salt Alliance PE4 & 6.

Used for a few trip. Line vs price are good IMO.
  • ckjh
    Jerrybrown produces good lines and the prices are reasonable.
    I uses Varivas gt max, smp and gt max power plus, for JB, i uses both hollow and solid.
  • Steve71
    Dear TS

Varivas SMP / GT Max, Sunline, YGK are all proven in the popping arena. I use them extensively, they are great lines but on the expensive side. I have also used PowerPro 8Slick and they are a good value for money option. Did not fail me before too.

Stick with the tried and tested. You won't go wrong. Cheers!
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Thanks for all the tips from all the senior kakis.

Just to ask, where can i get jerry brown and what type of line should i get from the aforementioned brand? I believe that there is quite a few type, hollow core, etc.
  • Romanion
    nelsonlimjinwei" said:
    Thanks for all the tips from all the senior kakis.

Just to ask, where can i get jerry brown and what type of line should i get from the aforementioned brand? I believe that there is quite a few type, hollow core, etc.
    RedTackle.com just started bringing Jerry Brown lines in.
  • ckjh
    Romanion" said:
    [quote="nelsonlimjinwei"]Thanks for all the tips from all the senior kakis.

RedTackle.com just started bringing Jerry Brown lines in.[/quote]

First, you have to understand the pros and cons of hollow braid and the solid ones.
    A brief explanation will be, the hollow braids can ve spliced and connected if ever you need extra line into the spool and the strength of the connection is 100% with no knots hindering casting distance. In the long run, they are cheaper as you will just splice in more lines whenever needed.
    for the solid, they are usually thinner in profile and thus you are able to load more lines, pr knots and fg knots can be used easily.

I will suggest the solid as splicing the hollow braids takes a lot of time.
  • Irkiere
    Guys,

Between Varivas Avani Casting SMP PE3 versus Shimano Ocean Ex8 PE 3, which would you think is a better choice?
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Ok.

So the line to use should be a solid line. Now to go round trying out to see which suits me best.

:D
  • Lecundra
    I like Jerry Brown solids too. I used to use Varivas Avani GT Max but it's painful on the wallet.

If you can get your hands on JDM Powerpro casting, that is pretty good as well.
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Bro, you mean powerpro slick8?
  • Lecundra
    No, there's a JDM Powerpro for casting that goes up to PE8-10, but it's relatively rare. I got mine from Richard at Anglers' Hut