Rod choice for tenya jigging

Jerrysim1983
edited June 2015 in Jigging & Popping
HI guys,
is there any difference between a normal jigging rod and a tenya jigging rod?
If I want to do tenya jigging, a spinning or a BC setup is more suitable?
TIA everyone!
  • markus92
    i personally use spinning for tenya, but im sure there are others who use BC, i guess what matters more is that the weight of ur tenya is suited to ur rods rating else the action will be greatly affected.

Good luck!
  • Michael Lim
    A Japanese styled tenya rod is going to be light. PE 0.6 to 0.8 and soft and sensitive to the bites and nibbles of the fishes.

Generally, the tenya used in Japan are much lighter from #3 to #10 or so. Locally, I have seen #14, #16 which will be going to more like a tai rubber jig (madai) and not be easily felt or worked to the original style.

The whole idea is to allow the prawn or strip of fish meat to fall horizontally down and drift a little in the current. You are encouraged to go as light as possible in the current condition so as to allow for a more relaxed free-fall action.

So far, there are rods in the market specifically aimed at this niche segment of the market but locally, they are not easy to come by. I got myself a Blackhole Hurricane Rubber Jigging rod which I find to be quite well suited for this style of fishing. Worth considering if you dun intend to import in a specific rod.
  • markus92
    michael lim,

Do you think the senses blue heaven g2 0.2-0.8 PE rod would be a good match for tenya?

Thanks
    Marcus
  • Jerrysim1983
    Hi Michael,
    I got myself a majorcraft soipara light jig rod 0.6.- 1.5.
    Feels not bad actually.. Got myself a few catches when the madais are not working.
    It's paired with a ocea conquest 200. Btw which shops do carry the range of tenyas?
    Couldn't find the range of the products in some tackle shop. Many thanks.
  • Michael Lim
    Sorry for the super late reply. Just re-discovered this thread again.

A light rod would be more than sufficient. The main thing is sensitivity. So far, I have been using a Blackhole Hurricane rubber jigging rod (which is actually meant for tai rubber, aka madai) It is rated PE 1-3 but I can feel all the nibbles easily.

As for tenya jigs, locally the sizes are all on the big side so I only got some from Japan (online order) and created a bunch from the Decoy SG jig heads.
  • OnateO
    Fishing buddy carries some tenya or you can try those OEM tenyas out in the market,works the same way.
    It would be better to use a spinning setup and go as light as possible,this would enable you to feel the nibbles.
  • Romanion
    Michael Lim" said:
    Sorry for the super late reply. Just re-discovered this thread again.

A light rod would be more than sufficient. The main thing is sensitivity. So far, I have been using a Blackhole Hurricane rubber jigging rod (which is actually meant for tai rubber, aka madai) It is rated PE 1-3 but I can feel all the nibbles easily.

As for tenya jigs, locally the sizes are all on the big side so I only got some from Japan (online order) and created a bunch from the Decoy SG jig heads.
    Hi Michael, would a sensitive jigging rod like the Gomuku Keiryo be suitable for use with 21g tenyas as well as the heavier 40-50g ones?
  • Michael Lim
    Hi OnateO,

The ones that they have are #12 and above up to #16....

I prefer the lighter ones from 18gms to 30gms (approx #5 to #8) I tried a #15 the other day in local waters and I couldn't feel any nibbles...

Hi Romanion,

It should do well with the lighter weights, as for the heavier ones... I can't be really sure as too much weight can deaden the feeling you need to detect the bites.