Need advice on prevention of sharp tooth fish taking my jigs

sylvest
edited March 2015 in Jigging & Popping
im new to jigging, would like to ask how to prevent fish to cut of my leader with its teeth.. some say steel wire connected to the jigs, some say no need to put steel wire as the movement of the jigs doesnt look real. can anyone give some advice.... thx
  • SportAngler
    From what I know, chances of catching a fishes reduce when use wire leader.
    But then if the fishes cut your leader, it is as good as no bite.
    Any season jigger will have their own preference.
    What I do is bring more jigs or cast lure without the wire.
    Weight the pros and cons.
  • seahamster
    it really depends on your trip.

If your trip targeting toothy fishes like tengirri, then you should get those metal wire assist hooks and tie metal leader.
  • sylvest
    What brand wire u use.. Cos last time I use sure catch one keep breaking .. Any recommendation??
  • seahamster
    sylvest" said:
    What brand wire u use.. Cos last time I use sure catch one keep breaking .. Any recommendation??
    used angler pal one, so far ok.

Maybe is the poundage you use abit low?
  • sylvest
    Okay. Thx .. So usually for tingiri at kuching usually use wat poundage?
  • seahamster
    if your kiasu, use 60lb metal leader, FC/shock leader,30 or 40lb, main line 30lb is good enough, just set your drag properly

Of course if you are using barracuda to target for the big tengirri, then use a OH setup will be better
  • nuvole
    Carry some single strand wire with you.
    When you are down to the last jig, it may save your trip.
  • dingo35
    If afraid of losing jigs. I'd advice you against jigging.
  • ckjh
    sylvest" said:
    im new to jigging, would like to ask how to prevent fish to cut of my leader with its teeth.. some say steel wire connected to the jigs, some say no need to put steel wire as the movement of the jigs doesnt look real. can anyone give some advice.... thx
    Yes! Bite rates may be affected by the use of steel wires. But since you are asking ways to prevent bite offs. I will recommend you attach a 15 cm long wire to your jig (40lbs). Also tying a higher lbs assist wire hooK (50-60lbs) . Keep the poundage low to increase your chances of fish biting.
  • sylvest
    thx all for the info. i roughly got the idea what to prepare . tight lines to all
  • Bwky
    kuching teng from what i heard just use wire, you are fishing at night anyways and fish not so choosy. just use 40lb wire. assist hook just use wire also.