Advice for running single hook on swim-bait and popper

dhappyfish
edited February 2015 in Jigging & Popping
I need some advice on how to rig-up single hooks on swim-bait and popper for catching GT.
My objective is to cut down on the injury to the fish when we unhooked them.

I would also like to know which is the referred brand and hook size if I am using mainly
100g to 140g swim-bait and popper.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Luke Maow Bear
    dhappyfish" said:
    I need some advice on how to rig-up single hooks on swim-bait and popper for catching GT.
    My objective is to cut down on the injury to the fish when we unhooked them.

I would also like to know which is the referred brand and hook size if I am using mainly
    100g to 140g swim-bait and popper.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    The trend is use barbless trebles.

You can also view a post I did here: viewtopic.php?p=1273694#p1273694
  • dhappyfish
    Thanks Luke for sharing the post.

Yes, i am already using barbless treble hook .
    Just sourcing for an alternative of using single hook to
    further reduce the injury to the fish so that they can
    survive to fight another day .
  • nuvole
    Remove both split ring and treble hook and replace them with Siwash open eye hook.
    I've 1/0, 3/0 & 5/0 Gamakatsu. They are too soft for my preference and will be happy to sent you three of each to try them out PIF. Do PM me your postage address if you are interested.

Cheers
  • ckjh
    Even though I will advise on using Barbless trebles, there are also a few more ways to rig with single hook.

First, you will have to bring into consideration the bounency of the popper or stickbaits when using singles. As some are tuned for trebles.

I have 3 ways of rigging. I will start with having having a split ring to a decoy sergeant hook. They have a reverse hook eye which means your hook will be pointing upward when it's rigged.

Another methods comes in when you are using a normal eye hooks. Consist of the owners, shouts, oishi jigging hooks. you add 2 split ring to counter them. Making the hook face up instead of left or right when rigged with a Single split ring.

Lastly, this is a method I love using. I uses assist cord to tie the single hook. Rigged up either the front of the popper or the belly of the stickbaits.

Good luck aand tight lines.
  • Zulu27
    ckjh" said:

Lastly, this is a method I love using. I uses assist cord to tie the single hook. Rigged up either the front of the popper or the belly of the stickbaits.

That is exactly what I was thinking of, but I have heard that hookup may be much lower than 2x trebles. What is your experience?

How would you suggest I rig a CraftBait GT3 and a CraftBait Realbait 170?

Appreciate your insights.
  • ckjh
    Zulu27" said:
    [quote="ckjh"]

That is exactly what I was thinking of, but I have heard that hookup may be much lower than 2x trebles. What is your experience?

How would you suggest I rig a CraftBait GT3 and a CraftBait Realbait 170?

Appreciate your insights.[/quote]

Hmmm. I never have any hook up problems with that. Instead ive got more.
    With a single hook, the chances of hook opening and coming out from the fish's mouth is way lesser.
    With an assist cord, they creates a abrasion resistant section for toothy fishes. It also helps by making it flexible when the fish shakes the head during the fight, allowing hook to be still sitting nicely.

What I do for poppers. Usually I will rig from the cup.
    The assist will sit just before the belly hook. Meaning it will be long enough to be "sucked in" during the attack from the fish. Very high catch % compared to the treble Imo.
  • Zulu27
    Do you secure the hook to the belly with a rubber band? how about the tail hook? Assist as well or a treble?

Thanks!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Firstly, Cliff are you replying from the MALDIVES?!!!!

Secondly, I have never had problems with the hookups with singles, like Cliff said the weight is important so balance it right.
  • ckjh
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    Firstly, Cliff are you replying from the MALDIVES?!!!!

Secondly, I have never had problems with the hookups with singles, like Cliff said the weight is important so balance it right.
    Yes bro. Replied from maldives. Come on, sharing tips with kakis should be done anytime anywhere. Hahah.

Balancing the poppers and stickbaits will be essential.
  • dhappyfish
    Thanks a lot to all who has shared about the various rigging methods for single hook.
    Especially nuvole who has offered to give away some hooks for me try and ckjh for
    taking time to reply while fishing in Maldives, greatly appreciated.

I shall try out the various methods for my coming Maldives trip in march and keep you
    guys posted on the result.

However, i have one more question, i will presume we will still de-barbed the hook
    even though we are running single hook right ?
  • ckjh
    dhappyfish" said:
    Thanks a lot to all who has shared about the various rigging methods for single hook.
    Especially nuvole who has offered to give away some hooks for me try and ckjh for
    taking time to reply while fishing in Maldives, greatly appreciated.

I shall try out the various methods for my coming Maldives trip in march and keep you
    guys posted on the result.

However, i have one more question, i will presume we will still de-barbed the hook
    even though we are running single hook right ?
    Nope. Debarb applies to only trebles. But always check your surrounding before you guys cast. Good luck and tight lines
  • ChrisT
    Been using singles at the back of poppers (chuggers/ stickbaits/ pencils) for a few seasons now. All started in Oman and while you might miss some hook-ups, I find the singles do hold the fish better once hooked up.

I prefer using 2 split rings at the back to keep the tip of the single hook pointed up.

And for Oman, we do debarb singles as well.

• ckjh
    ChrisT" said:

Been using singles at the back of poppers (chuggers/ stickbaits/ pencils) for a few seasons now. All started in Oman and while you might miss some hook-ups, I find the singles do hold the fish better once hooked up.

I prefer using 2 split rings at the back to keep the tip of the single hook pointed up.

And for Oman, we do debarb singles as well.

Thx for sharing. I believe it's pretty Much up to individual angler to decide which method will work best for them.

Mind sharing the hook brands you used to hold up the omani giants?

I generally feel the shout single hooks very good. But not their trebles.
  • ChrisT
    I generally use Fisherman and Shout singles....so far so good but have had some hooks opening. Probably due to the angle the hook was lodged in the gt's mouth.

• dhappyfish
    Thanks to Cliff and Chris for sharing, greatly appreciated.
  • The Monster
    Debarbing should be applied to all types of hooks. Not just trebles. Yes, minimizing injuries to the fish is a good initiative. But debarbing hooks are actually meant for safety to anglers to begin with.... That should be the primary concern. As such, all hooks should be debarbed! Especially when casting is involved.

Losing fish mid fight is part and parcel and nothing unusual. Whether it is trebles or singles, if the hook set is not at the right place or if the point did not penetrate through, the chance of hooks pulling is normal. You win some. you lose some....

To increase the chance of landing the fish, always remember to apply and keep tension on the line at all times. Cheers!

The Monster