Entry level Popping rod

sharkbait
edited February 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Hi seniors! Need some serious advise here. I have never done or went for any GT popping trip before (Cast for sail fish no count right?)

I bought a 13' STELLA 8000HG (Ouch for my pocket) as my primary reel for my upcoming Sept Bintulu Oil rig GT trip and for end of year Perth Sambo jigging. I will be having a spare 16k Spool for dual application(Both Popping and jigging)

But the problem is i do not have any popping rod in mind. Can any senior recommend me a Popping rod? (No Carpenter please! Popping Poison yet to set in yet!)

Thank you!
  • ckjh
    Bintulu oilrig is no place for entry level bro. Pe 8 line may not even survive there. You would probably need a pe10 rod. Super high drags will be used over there.
  • sharkbait
    ckjh" said:
    Bintulu oilrig is no place for entry level bro. Pe 8 line may not even survive there. You would probably need a pe10 rod. Super high drags will be used over there.
    Die liao lor.

What should i prepare now? Heavier outfit?

Thanks... in advance.

P.S: Paiseh... accidentally PM you...

Die liao die liao... siao liao
  • ckjh
    sharkbait" said:
    Hi seniors! Need some serious advise here. I have never done or went for any GT popping trip before (Cast for sail fish no count right?)

I bought a 13' STELLA 8000HG (Ouch for my pocket) as my primary reel for my upcoming Sept Bintulu Oil rig GT trip and for end of year Perth Sambo jigging. I will be having a spare 16k Spool for dual application(Both Popping and jigging)

But the problem is i do not have any popping rod in mind. Can any senior recommend me a Popping rod? (No Carpenter please! Popping Poison yet to set in yet!)

Thank you!
    I noticed the jigging master popping rod rather cheap and good. Can consider it for an entry level rod.
  • Grubby
    How is Yamaga Atlas rod? I see it is priced around 600 on plat.

Any comments on this rod?
  • ckjh
    Hell of an awesome rod. Perhaps you can go take a look at anglershut.
    Richard is the agent for ripple fisher and yamaga.
  • Grubby
    im undecided on the PE6 or PE8.
    Will the PE8 be overkill for those 10kg GTs?
    while i also want a rod for those big ones too.
    Pls advise sifu
  • ckjh
    Grubby" said:
    im undecided on the PE6 or PE8.
    Will the PE8 be overkill for those 10kg GTs?
    while i also want a rod for those big ones too.
    Pls advise sifu
    err 10 kg GTs? pe 2-4 will be a good fight.

Most importantly, where do you or are you planning to go.
    Getting a rod that fits the location you will be fishing at is more important.
    There are places with potential sizes up from 35 and above. I will recommend a pe 8-10 there.
    If we are looking at anything lesser. a pe 6-8 will be good.
  • Grubby
    Mostly Indonesian waters
    Aceh Alor Makassar

The Yamaga Atlas PE8 falls under the 6-8 or 8-10
    The description says for target big gt/tuna
    While the PE6 model is for middle size gt/tuna
  • ckjh
    Pe 6 will be enough
  • Steve71
    Hi TS

You should really pick the rod to suit the type / weight of the lures you will be using. The other deciding factor should be the drag rating (how much drag will you be fishing it with). PE rating is very inaccurate and varies from brand to brand. It is just a suggested line rating suitable for that particular rod.

I tend to pick a rod based on the following criteria in sequence of relevance: Lure wt rating, max drag rating, rod length followed by PE rating.

Cheers!

Steve