Advise for jigging

Mat_Pancing
edited February 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Hello to all Jiggers!
I'm a surfcaster trying to learn jigging. Just a few question about my jigging setup before I start on my maiden jigging trip.
I will be using a Shimano Calcutta 400 with PowerPro 8 20lbs line partner with a rod I borrow from a friend, (Team Seahawk Shikaku light jigging rod PE 0.8-2) Are this two a good match for light jigging?
If the setup are ok for jigging,
1) What's the jig weight I should use?
2) Can madai(120gm) be use?
3) What type of leader line should I use and the lenght?
I had tried to search and Google. But the more I do, the more confuse n blur I got.
Thanks for fellow jiggers advise and help!
  • fishyton
    I will be using a Shimano Calcutta 400 with PowerPro 8 20lbs line partner with a rod I borrow from a friend, (Team Seahawk Shikaku light jigging rod PE 0.8-2) Are this two a good match for light jigging?

The above setup you mention should be sufficient for madai jigging.

1) What's the jig weight I should use?
    Weight of jigs will depend on several factors:
    Location/terrain/current flow/depth

2) Can madai(120gm) be use?
    Generally 120gm madai can be used in sg waters during non high current days
    If you are fishing on a high current day, probably you might need up to 200gms.
    Remember try to keep your line as vertical as possible and not 45angle etc to prevent snag.
    To keep your line as verticial as possible, You can use thinner braid or heavier madai depending on the current flow.

3) What type of leader line should I use and the lenght?
    Leader you can try YGK FC leader.
    If you are using 20lb powerpro, then you may go with a 40lb leader.
    Length I generally will use 2 full arm length (Approx 2m) for jigging.
    Length of leader is not so much critical for jigging unlike popping.
  • Mat_Pancing
    Thanks fishyton for your advice. =D>
  • Michael Lim
    Depending on the thickness of leader, line and profile of the tai rubber jig (madai), they can all play a part.

I was side by side with my fren fishing off a boat at Tuas the other day and his 150gm tai rubber jig was pulled up by the current due to his thicker mainline and leader (PE3 to 4, iirc) and probably 60 - 80lb leader). His jig profile was much fatter too, with a block shaped head.

I on the other hand was able to drop by tear drop shaped tai rubber jig 80gms on PE 2 line and 40lb leader right down without much drift.

So do a test with your tackle and type of jig and see which works better for you.
  • sharkbait
    If your pocket allows.

Try to get X8 Lines like YGK Jig man or Shimano Ocea. I used to be a Power Pro user, until i went bottom fishing with 20lb with size 12 sinker i still drift like crazy.

Bottom line is. Your line do play a very big part in jigging best is to "Invest" in stronger thinner line. If not, your jig/madai may not even hit the "Strike Zone"