Tuna Fishing Hooks

Luke Maow Bear
edited February 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Check out the hook setup for Tuna Fishing, dual 7/0 Kudako's.

I have never ran dual singles, more like trailing rears, I have seen these Kudako's open up badly, so I wonder why they don't open up on Tuna's mouths. Weird.

Source: Nature Boys Field Report: from Italy Adriatic sea [Michele Meggiolaro]
  • ckjh
    Luke Maow Bear" said:

Check out the hook setup for Tuna Fishing, dual 7/0 Kudako's.

I have never ran dual singles, more like trailing rears, I have seen these Kudako's open up badly, so I wonder why they don't open up on Tuna's mouths. Weird.

Source: Nature Boys Field Report: from Italy Adriatic sea [Michele Meggiolaro]

Correct me if im wrong. But the drag settings used for tunas and Gts are usually very different.
    As we know Gts will head downwards during the initial take which depends on the location we are fishing at. High drags will then decide landing or losing the fish.

For tuna its more important for the capacity of line, but that does not mean we can fish them with low drag. Probably just lower than what we used on Gts.

Anyway the decoy sergeant single hooks are good too.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Ah yes I think you are right, they let the fish tire out and don't suffer from cut offs as much. Makes perfect sense.
  • Steve71
    Dude, the drag is a very small contributor to hooks opening. Even when popping for GTs, not many anglers can go beyond 12kg of drag. Most probably fish around 8 to 10kg of drag. Am pretty sure a Kudako can lift 12kg of weight without opening. It's all about the hook set and the angle of penetration (or partial penetration) that open hooks.

If you have a solid hook up (when point is punched through completely) and all the weight is applied in the middle of the hook curve, the hooks will not open. Unless it's some crappy cheapo hooks!

;)